Blood 2 mod

Cool ideas, unfortunately, they breach copyright.
Mic
Axe Zombie

Post by Mic »

I just sent an email to support at gamespy. I hope they are able to find a backup of an old planetblood backup.

The issue, if your really old, you'll remember the "Battle Grounds". So a bunch of my files still came from the sub folder "BG" planetblood.com/bg

So when the site was archived, they thought no one was using the bg folder so POW! no more bg folder, hence the massively broken gamester site... Cross your fingers :guns:

BTW - want a real blast from the past : http://web.archive.org/web/200008180327 ... m/bg/show/

I moved my off topic discussion to a new post, I want to give it back to Kurt, so he can tease us more with his work! viewtopic.php?p=22213#22213
kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

That's great, Mic. Maybe PlanetBlood could be 'resurrected" as well. I think its up to the community now to try to keep the Blood universe alive and to help it grow. I've also sent you a reply to your email but I'm not sure if it went out ok.
Zardoz wrote:Lithtech 2.0 or 3.0 might end a lot of this frustration Kurt. It pains me to say it but it's true. :(
There would be a lot of issues in switching to a more advanced lithtech engine or even to an entirely different engine altogether.

None of the existing Blood 2 levels would work in a more advanced engine, so levels would have to be built from scratch. Most of the models would have to be rebuilt and then all new animations would have to be created. If an engine such as lithtech 2.0 were used, a person would legally have to use a game such as NOLF in order to play it.

Then there's the most important matter of coding. A game like Fear for example, is probably 10x more complex in its coding and setup then Blood 2 was. Maybe with a team of about a half dozen people, this could all be done reasonably efficiently. But my time is limited, and I do have other plans for my retirement besides still working on Blood 2.

I'd love to work with a more advanced engine or be able to modify the lithtech 1.0 engine. But at the present time that doesn't seem very realistic.

I still believe though that despite its age, I can still somehow turn this old game into something epic and entertaining, and be more worthy as a sequel to Blood.

But this is all going to take some time and lithtech 1.0 or 1.5, would still be the quickest and least difficult way under the circumstances.

Mic
Axe Zombie

Post by Mic »

Sorry I didn't email right back. I hope I remember to look tonight for the old backups. If I find something I will drop you an email.
Zardoz
Fanatic

Post by Zardoz »

Dustystyx:
Question: The last time I tried playing K:PC it had a hard time working, even on 98. How does it perform on modern stuff?
I'm just toying with the demo myself. The broken down pc I'm on has well over 3 times the system requirements for the game and it's still playing as choppy as I remember.

I was hoping that kurt would be using the exe. from the demo for whatever engine he used...

Oh well, I've always wanted to play shogo all the way through.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

KPC works fine on newer machines. It has the same problems with video flicker that Blood 2 has that can easily be fixed, I haven't tried running it on Vista yet.
Zardoz
Fanatic

Post by Zardoz »

Well, on an absolutely pointless note, the true engine identity of that worthless valuesoft shooter WWll Iwo Jima has been established.

It is indeed lithtech 1.5

At least I can't think of any other reason values for "windblade" and 'magmacannon" would be in Iwo's cfg file.

Now if there was only a map editor availible...
kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

Yeah, there were a few crappy games made with lithtech. But hopefully it might still be possible to resurrect this antique and create something entertaining.

Since I won't have anything new to show for a while, here's a few screenshots from the last level I was working on. Maybe lithtech 1.0 still has some life left in it?

Some more screenshots can be found here

I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Wow! I wish I had your creativity with architecture...
Zardoz
Fanatic

Post by Zardoz »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

..Damn kurt...!

*Runs and hides in the TV repair shop*
Mic
Axe Zombie

Post by Mic »

Great looking screenshots!

One tip I would like to pass on would really help out your processing pass, It was something I was never able to use in blood (because I didn't know it at that time)...

By default detaillevel is "0" that means it is treated as a processed hull style of brush. For items that separate the world from the empty game space, leave the tag on 0. For items that are inside of the processed world, such as your columns, or other items within the space change the number to "1".

When you process the world, it is calculating every brush with the detaillevel of "0". It skips the other ones tagged "1".

Why is this important. I had to abandon a few levels because I had so many brushes in them that no matter how I processed it it kept breaking and finding holes. If I broke the level in half, it worked fine. In some levels, I used a bunch of brushes to make up inside walls, and other object within the space, my mistake was not tagging them "1". Now I know that this option was important to check :)

Years later I now understand this news posting:
The "detaillevel" field lets us alter how the brush is treated by the vising process. At 0 it is a normal brush, at 1 it is not considered by the vis at all (for little details like light fixtures and supports), and at 2 and 3 it is just not drawn if you are standing far enough away.
http://www.the-chosen.com/news/week12.asp
Mic
Axe Zombie

Post by Mic »

Guess what I found! :lol:
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Very cool screens Kurt!
Atmospheric. Interesting. Making you want to play the level.
kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

Thanks.

It's good to see that you're still alive, predator. I thought Blood 2 could use an atmospheric, and spooky castle. :)

That's great advice Mic, and I only found about that a few months ago. Even after all this time, I continue to discover new and interesting about this old engine.

Hopefully I can do something worthwhile with it...

kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

My previous experiments in creating ground terrain, have produced some interesting results. So I thought I would try importing a terrain mesh model into the game as well.

It worked surprisingly well, so I'm confident that eventually this game could have some incredibly complex landscapes with hills and valleys and mountainous areas. With the right textures and lighting, I think the environments could potentially be amazing.

But this will all have to wait awhile since I'm getting tired and cranky, and I don't even want to think about all of that coding that's still waiting for me. :lol:

Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

Get this man some redneck rampage!