The Ship

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

The Ship

Post by Necrosis »

So, anyone look into The Ship? Apparently it just came out a small while ago, and can be purchased on Steam for $20. Despite all reason to not want to bother with Steam, I have it, and it is pretty awesome if buggy and a little oddly "balanced."

The whole premise is that you're on a cruise ship, with however many players (most I've seen is 32 but I'd assume with the massive ships available that you can do 64), and all of you are assassins. Every player has the name of their victim, and you have to find makeshift weapons around the ship and hunt the victim down. Of course, there's also someone hunting you. As a result, everyone will ALWAYS be paranoid of you if you get anywhere near them.

The things I like are the needs system in conjunction with the rest of gameplay (it's a little Sims-ish, but you need to think about the risk you're taking when doing anything to fulfill needs; I've been shot while on the crapper many times), security guards being bribeable (they're very buggy, though, more on that later), the weapons available to you (syringes actually poison, you can get flare guns, etc), and the whole atmosphere of paranoia (the best part).

Negative things include the massive bugs ("I saw you through a wall in a room without cameras!"), the silly-slow movement (makes sense you can't run all the time, but do you HAVE to only get 3 seconds worth of run juice?), and the insane rarity of weapons in some decks (not to mention the insane rarity of firearms in general).

I'm curious if anyone else has played it yet, I think it was well worth $20. :)