Modding scene these days

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Harry
Cultist

Modding scene these days

Post by Harry »

Any TCs or user made addons for HL-2, Doom-3, Quake-4 etc worth taking a look at?
oBe
Cabal member

Post by oBe »

How about this: Doom 1 shareware rebuilt for Doom 3

Classic Doom

Haven't actually played it, but the thought is nice.
leileilol

o^_^o

Re: Modding scene these days

Post by leileilol »

Harry wrote:Any TCs or user made addons for HL-2, Doom-3, Quake-4 etc worth taking a look at?
HL2 is mostly counter-strike, zombie, and "remake s*** console game" mishmash that are all like eachother and only have two goals to accomplish - get a fan following and get noticed by Valve for commercial opportunity. Pretty rubbish motives, if you ask me.

Doom3 has quite a few memorable projects, like Into Cerebon (descentish), Dungeon Doom (muddish) and of course the already mentioned Classic Doom 3.

Quake4 currently has a few multiplayer competition play mods.

Alternatively, you might want to try Quake's mods or UT2k4's. They're the better ones in terms of fun IMO
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

To see all the best mods for almost all the modern (and not so modern)
games check out filefront
at the top right there's a pull down with loads of game options
Harry
Cultist

Post by Harry »

Doom3 Recall to Hell appears to be the only proper addon effort. Levels look decent and looks like they're bringing back the Spider mastermind (as a crappy skull faced enemy though)

HL-2 seems to have a lot but they are lost among so many junk mods.

FarCry had a massive effort called the Cerebrus Protocol but its now cancelled. I can't imagine anyone slightly more busy than say...school kids doing such large ventures without commercial profit. They also have to deliver within a timeframe and its very difficult. At one time, even a small mod was a big thing but not today.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

UT2k4 has the frigging BEST mods EVER.

www.outofhell.net

That right there promises to be something we can ALL love. :twisted:
Jethro
Fanatic

Post by Jethro »

It depends on what kind of mods are you looking for. I'm quite intrested in all mods connected to Unreal series, so here are some of them:

Multiplayer:

- Red orchestra - total conversion for ut2k4, Second World War, now it's stand-alone game distributed via Steam :/
- XMP - mod originally for Unreal 2, but there is (or it is still under construction) version for UT2k4, I never played it but it seems something like Onslought in UT2004
- Strike Force - CS for UT'99
- TacticalOps - CS for UT2004, really good work, they improved graphics (rt shadows).
- Unreal4ever - multiplayer mod for UT'99/UT2k3, gameplay is based on classes, lots of new weapons. Really enjoyable.

Singleplayer:
- Xidia Gold - great SP mod for UT'99. Great atmosphere, great level design. Done by Team Phalanx
- Seven Bullets - anothear great sp mod, continuation of Xidia Gold, done by Team Red Nemesis. Again, great level design, but the whole mod gets boring in "bots" part.
- Operation NaPali - great (and long! 34 levels in total) mod by Team Vortex. Again, great level design, humoristic atmosphere.
-Residual Decay (under construction) - Another SP mod by Team Red Nemesis, Jones' saga part 3. Looks promising, but can't tell much more right now.
- The Chosen One (under developement) - polish UT SP mod, they got about 1,5 year delay now, but project looks really promising! It will be connection of FPS and RPG.
- Spatial Fear - there was part 1 named Prologue released for UT. It is total conversion, it realy resembled me System Shock series. I've heard that they ar moving to Source engine now, but I don't know exactly. Anyway, I really enjoyed part 1.

PS. Necrosis, there is something wrong with the link you provided.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

It works, I just checked it...

It's basically a zombie mod if you just mean it won't connect for you, with, apparently, a plot, and mostly melee based combat. There's a demo that sucks, but the problems with it have all apparently been fixed, so it'll be BADASS.

Play the demo if you can, it's worth seeing to know what this will be like when it comes out (apparently this is within the year!).
Jethro
Fanatic

Post by Jethro »

Just checked it once again, there is something wrong with my firewall and that was the cause that page didn't work. Looks promising, I'll play the demo once I'll reinstall my Windows and UT2k4.
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

Jethro, you just made my day man! 8)

*Is always hunting for more SP mods*