Prey

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Prey

Post by Slink »

Wow. Check out Prey. It was originally in production when Blood and Shadow Warrior were, but I think they halted it for a while.
http://www.3drealms.com/prey/index.html#videos
-Slink
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted]
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vuzeth
Deceptossum

Post by Vuzeth »

The game was in development since 1997 or earlier. They could do hell of features in about 10 years!!!
Sure they've stopped and concentrated on other projects, or what? :shrug:
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

PREY started development in 1997 right along side of DNF. Well, 3D Realms was split in half, on team working DNF and the other working on PREY.
They decided that they needed to focus on one game instead of two, so the stopped work on PREY and put the game on hold. Many people thought they canceled it.

Then in 2001/2002 3DR contacted Human Head about doing a game with them after George B. was very impressed with one of their games. He offered them the thance to do PREY. In 2002 HH got the Doom 3 engine from ID (through 3D Realms) and began work on the current PREY.

Pretty much everything from PREY 1998 is gone, videos are still up at several places... but that's about it. Joe at the forums at 3DR says he can't really find anything on any of their PCs.
Also, Human Head is in full cruntch mode on PREY so the game is in late beta at the moment. It's playable from start to finish on botht he PC and Xbox 360.
Expect the Gold Announcement sometime in the next few months and a rumored release in June.

So technically PREY and DNF have had similar lives, where as PREY was put on hold DNF had three false starts. In 2002 3DRealms threw away everything they had for DNF and started from scratch again. DNF is now on it's way to late alpha/early beta.

The tech is complete, the engine is finished and accourding to 3DR employees, PC Gamer and Computer Gaming Magazine, able to compete with todays big name shooters.
Weapons, enemies and levels are all about 90% into the game. So, DNF is coming ladies and gentleman... have faith and patience.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

I thought Prey looked like the Doom3 engine... :) -Slink
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Smart ass. :wink:
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

No, I was totally serious. I didn't read the fine print. :)
-Slink
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Ahhh... I thought were just poking fun. But yeah, Humna Head got ahold of the Doom 3 engine at around the samt time Raven did.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Raven? The Quake4 team?
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Yep, Raven software. They're also the team doing Castle Wolfenstein... the sequal to Return to Castle Wolfenstein. :D

It's rumered to be using the Doom 3 engine, or Carmack's new engine.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

He's already working on a new one? ... well obiously, but... already!?
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Yep, Carmack begin work on a new engine almost instantly after finishing Doom 3. That's one reason they were albe to plug in the tech for Megatexture into Quake Wars so quickly.

He said that while working on a game/engine he creates a list of features he would like to put into his next engine.
But sadly, Carmack has also stated that iD software will now be making the Xbox 360 it's primary development platform. :( Something about how the tech on it makes developing for it very easy and smooth.
I know they will still release upcoming titles on the PC as well but the platform a game is developed for can have a serious impact on the game overall.

I hope they know what they're doing. There have been a lot of internal problems (fights/ arguments) about the future of iD software.
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

Damien_Azreal wrote:Yep, Raven software. They're also the team doing Castle Wolfenstein... the sequal to Return to Castle Wolfenstein. :D
Not any more. It's been canned by id, apparently because they weren't impressed by what they were seeing.
Daedolon
Cultist

Post by Daedolon »

That's weird, I thought Raven was id's first "second hand" team.

It's also one of my favourite development teams (as far as their games go).
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Kazashi wrote:
Damien_Azreal wrote:Yep, Raven software. They're also the team doing Castle Wolfenstein... the sequal to Return to Castle Wolfenstein. :D
Not any more. It's been canned by id, apparently because they weren't impressed by what they were seeing.
Source? There's a magazine that's getting ready to unveal first hand looks at Raven's new game.

While I would love a SoF3 or Jedi Knight 4... I was really looking forward to Castle Wolfenstein.