Prey

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

I did a swap comparison of the GF3 ti200 and the FX5200, and without the sh!tty 5200, there was practically NO eyecandy, but the framerate was considerably higher. (I didn't check the polycount, but I think there were about 10fps dif)
-Slink
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

What? The ti4200 is capable of everything D3 can do. You'll only miss the sparse heat haze and glass bending, which don't really add much.
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

Ive seen D3 on much faster systems than my own.

It had heat haze. That was the only difference I noticed - and they were running at higher resolutions in general.

Honestly D3 doesnt have much "traditional" eyecandy... just a mostly unified lighting system with some materials support and good looking textures. And the textures look the same, the lighting system is still on. So I dont feel Im missing out beyond framerate.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Ah, I see. It is a different story with HL2, whereas the large environments with water are done no justice, and the bumpmapping is inadequate. Whatever the case, I was not aware that GF2 was so capable of rendering such tasty shading!
Harry
Cultist

Post by Harry »

Prey is nothing but a mediocre or at best, a slightly above average game. It plays much more like a total conversion for Doom-3. All the magazine and game site reviews were raving about it (all bribed) but none really tell you the truth.

Firstly, there are only a few levels, few monster types (which rarely even show up) and only a few weapons. You literally play the game on God Mode (which was good for me since my comp is slow) and breeze through each level and encounter. It was perhaps the shortest game I've ever played.

It lacks the scares of Doom-3 and the frantic action of Quake-4. It beats both of them in level architecture and design, but is extremely uninspired when it came to level "ideas". What you'll be playing are heavily modified, more puzzle intensive and larger, more open, Doom-3 levels. It fails to create an innovative Alien world. You also don't get to see much of the Alien "Civilization" (sic) or even the Hidden to care enough for them.

(SPOILERS AHEAD) *highlight to read

The attempt at the storyline is half-decent but George Broussard already gave away enough spoilers in his PCG interview. There are only 2 or 3 significant story-related moments in the entire game. A ton of events go unexplained - such as the "ghostly abominations" which were'nt on the ship before Tommy got there or how the Aliens penetrated the spirit world. The best part of the game were the character models which were very effective in conveying emotion and dialog. Tommy however, is no Duke or Lo Wang and expectations of 3D Realms to deliver another effective character, are let down.

(SPOILERS END)

Prey had a lot of potential but seems rushed. Serious Sam-2 was way better than this.
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

I disagree. I found Prey to be one of the most enjoyable games I've played in recent times, one of the reasons being it captured the essence of gaming from an earlier time. To me it felt like what a Build game might if it were created today; it didn't require an in-depth categorization of weapons or monsters.

Being able to play without permanently dying is nice, it keeps the game flowing, and stops people from padding their length of playtime through constant reloading of saved games. The alien world was good enough to immerse me in something different, even if it did have lots of metallic surfaces.

All I can say further is that I found it short and sweet. I played it more than once, and I'll probably play it again in future.