Quake Photography

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Quake Photography

Post by scar3crow »

So I decided to pimp DarkPlaces some, and did some "photography"
I ran DP in 1600x1200x32 with bloom on and its resolution set to 1024
r_shadows_realtime_world 1
cl_noplayershadows 1

I then looked for appealing shots which demonstrated what just good lighting alone can do in DP, and also would function as potential wallpapers

So here you go:
http://scar3crow.circa1984.com/quakeshots/

I might do more later for other maps when I feel like killing some time.
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

I hate to ask, but when I tried it, I couldn't get it to work. I can't find any instructions on the site or readme either. Sorry if I sound noobish or anything, I'm just... a little puzzled.

But damn! Those screenshots are hawt! :guns:
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Hey, some of those are really pretty, but what about some subtle gloss and glare effects? No one get your nuts in a knot, but I think Tenebrae was pretty sweet when I saw it, but they went way overboard on glossy textures (unless you can adjust it, then I went overboard ;) ) The glares were pretty impressive too. I have never seen these effects used in Darkplaces, despite that they are implemented. If anyone could post some shots of Quake in Darkplaces with gloss and glare (and bloom) enabled, that would be sweet! (Especially if you have sweet hardware.)
-Slink
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

thanks

honestly... I dont see what in those shots would be glossy in the first place... but DP can do that, it just likes a specific texture for such things, so it is properly, and tastefully applied.

All you are seeing is normal DarkPlaces with its realtime lighting and mild bloom, with its existing, and default, overbright lighting.

I dont have sweet hardware, I have 512ram, 1.2ghz athlon and a geforce4 ti4200 64meg. I had binds for high and low res so I could find the shot in low, then switch it over, f12, back to low res.

If you want to see DarkPlaces making use of textures, then appreciate Kedhrin's handiwork

Gamma in the shots is 1.2 so as to look decent on most monitors.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Where can I get that? Looks pretty awesome, it does.

... While we're on the topic of Quake, that X-Men mod for Quake is horrible. Haha, that thing is just so bad...
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Nice bump mapping! Heheh... :oops: don't take that the wrong way. :lol: Yeah, there would really only be gloss on smooth surfaces, I guess. Now, that would required figuring which ones would be smooth. Thanks!
-Slink