Doom world record map anyone?

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Lizzy
Is she coming or going?

Doom world record map anyone?

Post by Lizzy »

Well i was thinking since were talking about doom more i though wouldn't it be great to make a map to share with you guys, but then i thought a simple map would just be boring, why not make it a large map to keep you playing for a while. Still i didn't think that would please you guys so then i came up with the idea of you drawing/planning out a level (could be any size) and then me constructing it, but the thing is it will not be just your level but everyone else's placed all together to make it a world record map (depends on how many people are up for this), the largest map ever made for doom i think took about 3 hours to finish, now I'm only asking you if you could draw a simple doom map and then let me construct it and then join someone else's map together and repeating the process with someone else's map ect, to make it massive. Anyone want to break the record and shove it in doomworlds face knowing that blood fans made it?
Last edited by Lizzy on Tue Feb 14, 2006 09:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

*RedFanatic is filled with Blood patriotic pride*

sounds interesting, amazingly i had a similar idea (to make a episode for
blood but each map made by a different person with a similar story/theam)
but since i'm well engrossed in making my map i know id never get round
to that :roll:

i shall start planning my part of the SuperDoomLev right away (might take
a day or two :) )
Lizzy
Is she coming or going?

Post by Lizzy »

Thanks RedFanatic, i wasn't expecting this to be popular but your help is very appreciated. Just need a few more peeps.

[edit]
Remember that doom maps can't overlap so that means no rooms over rooms, plus sector tags are strict, one sector tag for only one trigger per tag. Wtf :?
[/edit]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

It's a great idea, but unfortunately, I can build levels for Descent, Duke3D, SW, Blood, and Quake only.

What Doom level editor do you use? :roll:
Lizzy
Is she coming or going?

Post by Lizzy »

Oh theres no need for you to build it, I'll do that, all i need from you is your knowledge in how doom works and a drawn (when i say drawn it could be the program "paint" or whatever), map with the operations (what this and that does).

I'm going to use codeimp's doom builder.
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Kick ass idea... but, I don't map. Never have. :(
Lizzy
Is she coming or going?

Post by Lizzy »

Damien_Azreal its quite alright, really its not as difficult as you may think.

Simple example:

Not the best example but still easy to understand. Really you could draw it like that (applies to everyone), or use a pen to paper whatever you thinks best. No one is building the maps unless they want to, i'll do the hard work :D
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Hmmm... if that's the case, I may have to do something.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Actually, on the subject, I'm working on a map intended for playing CTF with Strangelove redeemers on Unreal 2004, in which I was gonna make an obstacled path that offers healing per second inside of it and a clear one that offers damage. Of course, I suffer from "I-have-no-idea-how-to-make-that-particular-thing-happen-itis." :roll:
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

Deus Vult
Lizzy
Is she coming or going?

Post by Lizzy »

CheapAlert wrote:Deus Vult
Yeah I've herd of that, not sure if its the longest map ever made, to bad its only for co-op, really single player i think is more rewarding. Still its very possible to beat.

Bad news for people that plan on building there map and not drawing.
Well its not major bad news but if your planning on building your map instead of drawing it make sure your sector tags are 900 and upwards, this is only because if you start from 001 then i would have done the same which would cause multiple sector triggers which may cause it to crash. There are limits and only one person can build there map.
Hellen
The Eye of Beast

Post by Hellen »

One question: why should bloodites make a map for Doom in the first place?

Blood – yes, perhaps I’d contribute anything…
Lizzy
Is she coming or going?

Post by Lizzy »

Simple answer: Without doom theres no blood. Doom is the father of FPS, wolf 3D is the mother but long forgotten, if there were no doom then blood would also never exist, also why not, its not like were breaking any rules and plus i already said it.
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

Okay here it is, and since i've had experiance with DEU (and never want to see it again) :rip:
i made it in mapedit then just took a screenshot. 8)

i've put some monster marks on it but they may need tweaking as i haven't
much Doom monster awareness at the moment, also i haven't put any weapons
pickups or keys but you'll most likely need to sort that out depending where
my section is in the level.

It's a spaceship that you enter via a docking craft, your objective is to disable it
by exploding the barrels inside the engine, to do this you have to get to the cockpit
and hit a switch that opens the engine room doors.

there are two pods the one you enter has a barracks and computer room, the second
had another barracks and a galley (kitchen)

the center of the ship is a cargo bay so just a standard packing case area
perhaps the key to the cockpit will be there

the cockpit has several pannels of computer texture and two command seats
both occupied by demons

the engine room has a massive engine at one end and a smaller room with the target barrels
inside there are two TeleEscape pods inside the engine room that lead out of my section.

tell me if there are any problems with the design
also sorry for the picture size but that the best way to get detail

Lizzy
Is she coming or going?

Post by Lizzy »

That's great, Your map will be the first to lead the way, in other words your map is where the start will be :D Its very well designed actually, and with a few tweaks i can make your map take ages to get past, what I'm aiming for is how long it takes to finish the level, its ok about the keys & weapons placements, I'll do all that so no worries. Great layout and objectives. A very good start 8) I'll get right on it as soon as i (that's if i ever) get another map, if not then I'll have to make the whole thing which could take months.