With all this Doom talk...

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

Skulltag's getwad (well when it had it) blocked IWAD retrieval.
deathz0r
Rat

Post by deathz0r »

scirmast wrote:I think that sums it all up.
Regardless, the fact that ZDaemon contains even one line of GPL code makes it a violation against the license. If someone was bothered to either force ZDaemon to release the source or cease and desist...
Right, the getwad thingy. I had the impression it does not allow the iwads to be downloaded, but just checked, and I was wrong. I think this is clearly an overlook, but it's not something I'd stop playing for.
From my PM logs, June 16th 2005:

[17:31] <deathz0r> one thing i notice that zdaemon gets a lot of flak of (from other forums)
[17:31] <Kilgore> just to protect itself
[17:31] <deathz0r> is that getwad allows the user to download doom2.wad, hexen and other IWADs
[17:31] <Kilgore> about what?
[17:31] <deathz0r> has that been disabled?
[17:31] <Kilgore> no
[17:32] <deathz0r> hrm
[17:32] <deathz0r> some people are really critical of that
[17:32] <Kilgore> well, that was one of the codeimp complains about me
[17:32] <deathz0r> i wasn't talking about codeimp specifically
[17:32] <Kilgore> all i'm saying is that getwad searches the net just like google
[17:32] <Kilgore> i understand
[17:33] <deathz0r> it should have a filter that disables the user from downloading certain named wads
[17:33] <Kilgore> and i'm not upset or anything
[17:33] <deathz0r> doom2, doom, hexen, heretic, strife
[17:33] <Kilgore> just stating my position
[17:33] <Kilgore> i mean, it's a search thing
[17:33] <Kilgore> if there is an onus to someone,
[17:33] <Kilgore> it's to those guys that make it available
[17:33] <Kilgore> i never heard anyone blaming google for finding copyrighted stuff
[17:34] <Kilgore> i don't advocate piracy
[17:34] <Kilgore> actually...
[17:34] <Kilgore> i'm quite sensitive to that, since i work as a programmer for my living
[17:34] <Kilgore> but also there needs to be some perspective
[17:34] <Kilgore> i mean....
[17:35] <Kilgore> why people consider that i have responsibility about that?
[17:35] <Kilgore> if someone makes doom2.wad available, then he's in the wrong. fine
[17:35] <Kilgore> so he should be the one that gets the complaints. not me
[17:36] <Kilgore> one of the reasons i don't want to get involved in that is that it's kind of a slippery slope
[17:36] <Kilgore> i mean.. sure, you give me some list and i exclude stuff
[17:36] <Kilgore> now let's say that they download something which is not on the list but it's copyrighted
[17:37] <Kilgore> then maybe the copyright holder comes to me and says "you failed to protect my work, while you protect doom2.wad"
[17:37] <Kilgore> and in litigious socieites (eg., the US), he might even have a court case
[17:38] <Kilgore> so usually the best policy is to state upfront that you don't accept any responsibility about whatever they do with the software
[17:38] <Kilgore> just like the creator of an ftp program does not put a block on specific filenames
[17:38] <Kilgore> or google, etc
[17:39] <Kilgore> anyway.. that's my take on it. maybe it sounds silly, but i feel that this is the best way to protect myself

Feel free to make your own opinion on that.
scirmast
Cultist

Post by scirmast »

deathz0r wrote:
scirmast wrote:I think that sums it all up.
Regardless, the fact that ZDaemon contains even one line of GPL code makes it a violation against the license. If someone was bothered to either force ZDaemon to release the source or cease and desist...
Right, the getwad thingy. I had the impression it does not allow the iwads to be downloaded, but just checked, and I was wrong. I think this is clearly an overlook, but it's not something I'd stop playing for.
From my PM logs, June 16th 2005:

[17:31] <deathz0r> one thing i notice that zdaemon gets a lot of flak of (from other forums)
[17:31] <Kilgore> just to protect itself
[17:31] <deathz0r> is that getwad allows the user to download doom2.wad, hexen and other IWADs
[17:31] <Kilgore> about what?
[17:31] <deathz0r> has that been disabled?
[17:31] <Kilgore> no
[17:32] <deathz0r> hrm
[17:32] <deathz0r> some people are really critical of that
[17:32] <Kilgore> well, that was one of the codeimp complains about me
[17:32] <deathz0r> i wasn't talking about codeimp specifically
[17:32] <Kilgore> all i'm saying is that getwad searches the net just like google
[17:32] <Kilgore> i understand
[17:33] <deathz0r> it should have a filter that disables the user from downloading certain named wads
[17:33] <Kilgore> and i'm not upset or anything
[17:33] <deathz0r> doom2, doom, hexen, heretic, strife
[17:33] <Kilgore> just stating my position
[17:33] <Kilgore> i mean, it's a search thing
[17:33] <Kilgore> if there is an onus to someone,
[17:33] <Kilgore> it's to those guys that make it available
[17:33] <Kilgore> i never heard anyone blaming google for finding copyrighted stuff
[17:34] <Kilgore> i don't advocate piracy
[17:34] <Kilgore> actually...
[17:34] <Kilgore> i'm quite sensitive to that, since i work as a programmer for my living
[17:34] <Kilgore> but also there needs to be some perspective
[17:34] <Kilgore> i mean....
[17:35] <Kilgore> why people consider that i have responsibility about that?
[17:35] <Kilgore> if someone makes doom2.wad available, then he's in the wrong. fine
[17:35] <Kilgore> so he should be the one that gets the complaints. not me
[17:36] <Kilgore> one of the reasons i don't want to get involved in that is that it's kind of a slippery slope
[17:36] <Kilgore> i mean.. sure, you give me some list and i exclude stuff
[17:36] <Kilgore> now let's say that they download something which is not on the list but it's copyrighted
[17:37] <Kilgore> then maybe the copyright holder comes to me and says "you failed to protect my work, while you protect doom2.wad"
[17:37] <Kilgore> and in litigious socieites (eg., the US), he might even have a court case
[17:38] <Kilgore> so usually the best policy is to state upfront that you don't accept any responsibility about whatever they do with the software
[17:38] <Kilgore> just like the creator of an ftp program does not put a block on specific filenames
[17:38] <Kilgore> or google, etc
[17:39] <Kilgore> anyway.. that's my take on it. maybe it sounds silly, but i feel that this is the best way to protect myself

Feel free to make your own opinion on that.
Hi Death, didn't know you were onto Blood at all. Though you only seem to have replied to doom-related topics.

Anyway, yes you are propably correct. I am not so well informed about this stuff.

Except for the getwad thing. P2P software is all legal to produce, and use. But when you use it the wrong way, you break the law. Hammers are not illegal either even though you can kill sombody with one. Now one could say that it is the intention that matters and that P2P software is clearly made for distributing illegal stuff. That might partially be true, but clearly it is not in the case of the getwad thing. I know for a certain it was meant for what it is mostly used: to fetch a wad from the net that a server uses.

Welcome to the boards btw.