What game are you currently playing?

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

I'm finally playing GTA4 for PC. Unfortunately, the "Web 2.0" pain-in-the-ass Windows Live login is almost REQUIRED to play, but it's not as bad a port as it's purported to be, except for very few things. For example, VSYNC: ON is totally bugged. Causes massive load times, laggy gameplay. Oh well. Looks excellent on my GeForce 9800 GTX+. Got new quad-core AMD (3.2GHz Deneb 955) as an upgrade from my 2.7GHz dual-core Kuma. but I gotta tweak my RAM and reinstall/restore Vista before the PC will generally run nicely. :-P

Mirror's Edge was sweet, but I don't think I'll be playing thru it again. Ever. LoL okay, maybe once in a while.

Crysis and Crysis: Warhead were pretty cool. I see a lot more potential than was used, for interesting stuff in the engine. I think there should be rooftop free-running espionage game made with the Crysis engine & game theme. :)

Osmos is cool, and immensely frustrating at times.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

I Live...AGAIN wrote:I prefer the Battlefield series myself (1942 and 2142 mostly) for implementation of vehicles.

I enjoyed ET:Quake Wars also, too bad it never had a chance to be as good as the original Enemy Territory.

I am trying to finish Sacred 2 and Torchlight atm. I have Borderlands but dont know when I will play it.
I had heard that ET: QW is supposed to be like Battlefield, probably never going to end up playing that though since the only new games I play now are Linux native. Out of curiosity, how does it handle vehicles differently?

I have no idea how the original ET played though, since that was mostly made for online play and my internet is deplorable.

I might also end up playing the original Sacred at some point in the future.

I also recently played through Quake 4 for the first time (yes, I know it is the first time I played a game from five years ago...). It was good, though Doom 3 is still better in my opinion. I am still undecided about how it compares to Prey.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

I have read of people playing Battlefield and BF2 on linux distros with Wine. Dont ask me how hard that would be to get working though :P

I like the vehicles in the battlefield series because they are meaningful to the fights. They are not just quick transportation. Also, vehicles in Battlefield are fun to drive but not too hard (unless it's a helicopter).

Here is a video of it working on Linux:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLN-vhs7W3A
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Well, I am not a big fan of WINE myself. It has never really worked well for me, I only ever use it for my old Windows games from before I switched. I would never get a new game that is not native, as I do not want to contribute to the coffers of Windows only companies.

Which means I will just have to stick to ET:QW's for now...
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Hmm. I've never used Wine myself (except for the drink) tho I do have Ubuntu Linux (Debian) on my tablet notebook (in which I've yet to achieve proper functionality of the tablet screen).

I wonder if/when games will be made solely for Linux and which version of Linux will finally prevail as the casual user standard! I really like Ubuntu (Debian). Heck, I was surprised when Blizzard made Diablo 2 run on PC and Mac! ;-)
old bob
Axe Zombie

Post by old bob »

The punisher.If anybody cares im uploading it to noobflicks.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

old bob wrote:The punisher.If anybody cares im uploading it to noobflicks.
Umm, what?
old bob
Axe Zombie

Post by old bob »

What dont you understand?The punisher is a game and noobflicks is a video hosting site.

If you thought I was illegaly distributing the game I wasnt.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Slink wrote:Hmm. I've never used Wine myself (except for the drink) tho I do have Ubuntu Linux (Debian) on my tablet notebook (in which I've yet to achieve proper functionality of the tablet screen).

I wonder if/when games will be made solely for Linux and which version of Linux will finally prevail as the casual user standard! I really like Ubuntu (Debian). Heck, I was surprised when Blizzard made Diablo 2 run on PC and Mac! ;-)
Well, I think I will change my statement slightly. WINE does work great when it works, but when it does work the next update always screws things up. My brother waited months for WINE to be able to run Stronghold and Elite Force 2 like it was able to when 2009 started. Only with the new year did this update come to fix the previous update.

I doubt we will be getting solely Linux commercial games anytime soon. Still, the future looks bright for more games being ported, especially with the rise of indie game development. Once that takes root, who nows what will happen.

As for what version of Linux will prevail on the desktop, it does not really matter. Each distro has only marginal differences, so it does not matter to anyone really. Case in point, I use Fedora as my main desktop and I use SuperGamer for my high-end games which require proprietary drivers, which is based on Slackware. And yet I can use it just as fluently as Fedora, even though it is based on a vastly different distro and uses a different desktop environment (XFCE rather than GNOME in this case.) It really does not matter what you use, as long as it is Linux. There are enough standards to make what logo appears on the bottom (or top) bar not really matter.

Anyway, to move back on topic, just played through Doom 3 for the whateverth time this month, and yet I still found a new type of demon I swear I never saw before. It is obvious it took four years to make, I keep finding new details in it I failed to notice before!

EDIT: By the way, a lot of work went into Fedora 12 to make it work better on tablets. Fedora is more upstream than Ubuntu, so I would not be surprised if some of those advancements do appear in some of Ubu's upcoming versions.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Nicely said. Thanks for the info. I am also a fan of Fedora's proliferation and functionality. I've grown somewhat accustomed to the Debian kernal, but I'm so poorly versed that it wouldn't matter anyhow.

It would be nice to get more functionality out of my tabby. I'm going to DL Fedora today. ^_^ Thanks. Sorry for going OT.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Well, after waiting for it to arrive for over a month, I have finally gotten my hands on Resurrection of Evil. It is fun, but not what I expected. Love the Hellstone. The original Doom 3 is still better done in my opinion, but I appreciate some of the additions in the expansion.

I understand F.E.A.R. has something similar to the slow-motion effects of the Hellstone with it's reflex-time. Interesting, considering it came six-months later. Or is this going into the same territory of the Grabber/Gravity-gun debate of 2005 again? :P
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

I just recently finished playing through the Penumbra series. :D

http://blood.wiki-site.com/index.php/Bl ... incidences
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

I started playing Return to Castle Wolfenstien again after they released the source code, and I just finished it yesterday.

Image Image Image

Either it was a good thing the source code was released or this Nazi mysticism thing has gone too far...
Last edited by Tchernobog on Mon Apr 16, 2018 05:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

Ohhh...

Those magnificent men-

-and their true 3d collision system flying machines!

They go updidy-up-up!

They go downdidy-down-down!

da da daaaaa
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

Playing AiTD 5 right now, it's pretty...interesting. It's a lot of fun, but playing it on a keyboard is total assrape. Controls are frustrating as hell.