Quake Soundtrack

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

Willis wrote:Because that lisence conflicts with the more open lisence that DarkPlaces uses. Free in this case is subjective to use, GPL is free in subjection to including code.
I don't understand. It seems like the only conditions that come with FMOD is that the product is non-commercial. And Transfusion can't be a commercial product anyway because it is based on Quake.

Lame MP3 is also another one like FMOD, but I don't think it supports as many formats.

http://lame.sourceforge.net/
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Boss, the technology running Blood became obsolete the minute it was no longer supported by Monolith. As hardware and software evolved it became harder and harder to run Blood. We don't want that to happen to Transfusion plain and simple. To avoid that happening we will always choose a more open license.

You also need to consider, who will cludge FMOD into DarkPlaces. Just at a guess I don't think LordHavoc would be verry interested in adding an FMOD plugin. Our own programmers, Willis and da_weezle are buisy programming gameplay elements into Transfusion.
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

boss429 wrote:I don't understand. It seems like the only conditions that come with FMOD is that the product is non-commercial. And Transfusion can't be a commercial product anyway because it is based on Quake.

Lame MP3 is also another one like FMOD, but I don't think it supports as many formats.

http://lame.sourceforge.net/
You seem to have some facts mixed up here. Transfusion will not be commercial because we don't own the IP to it, it is on a quit-claim license with Atari, not because it is based on Quake. If we wanted and had the resources, we could aquire a license from iD to allow commercialization.

The reason it FMOD won't go into Transfusion is because it conflicts with DarkPlaces' license. GPL can allow commercialization (though it is mostly pointless, it's still an option).
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

FMOD is a closed-source library. Quake/DarkPlaces uses the GPL, which ensures it remain an opensource product. One of the rules of the GPL is that you can't distribute open and closed source libraries together; if we wanted to use FMOD then we would have to:

a) ensure that DP can run perfectly fine *without* FMOD i.e. it's not a requirement for the engine, meaning we'd need another sound library already.
b) remove it from the Transfusion install and provide a separate link to the FMOD library, meaning people have to go and download more files.

Hence, no FMOD.
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

Kazashi wrote:FMOD is a closed-source library. Quake/DarkPlaces uses the GPL, which ensures it remain an opensource product. One of the rules of the GPL is that you can't distribute open and closed source libraries together; if we wanted to use FMOD then we would have to:

a) ensure that DP can run perfectly fine *without* FMOD i.e. it's not a requirement for the engine, meaning we'd need another sound library already.
b) remove it from the Transfusion install and provide a separate link to the FMOD library, meaning people have to go and download more files.

Hence, no FMOD.
Oh ok now I get it. Thanks for explaining it.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

In an attempt to avoid starting new threads for no good reason (and because I can't find the thread about DVD ripping, which is where this would have gone otherwise), I'm posting this here, as it is one of my other technical issues.

So I've been trying to rip the extra promo video for Guilty Gear X from my GGXX game. It's in a file called MOVIE_A.PCK, along with the other videos (logos, intro, etc), and I can isolate it, but without audio (the audio is in MUSIC.PCK, I think). I can't read the audio in any way. The worst part is, the entire POINT is the audio! The voice acting is ridiculously bad, and I'd like to show that off to a few people. *starts talking really fast* "Your sin is beyond the grace of God Sol!" "God I don't want anything to do with him." "Oh shut up Sol!" *stops* Hilarity. There's a reason I like my Guilty Gear with Japanese voices. Ky's voice actor could almost[/] do the trick, but isn't quite there... I think there's a little too much anger in his voice for one...

Oh great, now I'm analyzing horrible voice acting. *sigh* An endless decline for me... Oh well. If anyone has any advice, let me know. For now, I'm testing getting MUSIC.PCK with MFAudio.