Painkiller Addon: Battle out of Hell

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Well, I bought the original Painkiller and I love this game overall, but it has flaws too.

It soon gets very repetitive - you cross a red pentagram, door closes behind you, music starts and lots of guys come out, you kill them all and the music stops, new pentagram is lit, you cross it, door behind you closes and everything starts allover again.
This game has great graphics, fantastic deathmatch and lots of great features, but I really hate this scheme I described. And it's not only my opinion.
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

Exactly my opinion on the repetitive argument. I already noticed this at the demo, so didn't bother to buy it at all.
The physics however are amazing, I mean what could be more fun than launching wooden stakes into zombies, leaving them on the wall to dry? It's the game that comes closer to Blood than any other (in terms of atmosphere), which is another plus.
Those links provided in the first posts seam to be dead ends for some reason though. :?

[edit]
Well it might help if you'd actually post the real URLs instead of URLs that have "..." in it. ;)
[/edit]
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Yes, but demo was better in one aspect - it did not have any battle music or however it is called. Music did not change when someone attacked you.
I don't know why they changed this in the final release, this metal music does not go along with the atmosphere of the game. I have nothing against metal, I enjoy some metal songs, but this just doesn't fit there at all.

Nevertheless I actually enjoy the game and I don't regret buying it.
Well... in my country it costs only 4.5 dollars (legal of course), but anyway...
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

the metal can be turned off, in the options, set "battle music" volume to zero.

and since i'm a "classic" gamer, went through doom, heretic, and quake, they were all basically same old s*** too - you walk in a room and monsters appear. painkiller just took sheer action element, and i'm actually glad because of the absence of stupid buttons, switches, keys, etc, doesn't even have a crouch key. the cards were the only flaw i didn't like. so overall i liked it pretty much and i'm looking forward for the expansion.
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Gila wrote:the metal can be turned off, in the options, set "battle music" volume to zero.
:shock: :D Gee... you think I don't know that? :D

But actually it does not change much, you don't hear the music, but when the ambient music stops and there is no music at all (because we turned the battle music off) then we still are warned that someone is after us. This is what I really don't like - the music (or lack of it) always tells you if you have some enemies to kill.

Anyway I agree, this is a great game and I will get the expansion pack too,
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

lol, never noticed that, i just realized i was playing with no music at all... great ambiance was still present, not the ambient music but sounds. this game also has some wicked monster designs, like psycho freaks with electic stuff on their heads... and the bossess... the swamp boss was really cool.
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Yes, I agree. The monsters are cool, and their animations are just great.
I love it that they behave so much differently depending on where you hit them.

And about the music - yes, the only way is to play without the music at all, only with ambient sound. That would be kind of like Doom 3. But ambient music is really fine in Painkiller and I like to play with it.
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

I love Painkiller, one of my all time favorites. I'm waiting for the expansion day by day.

Painkiller was a wonderful additiong to the genre. I'm hoping that People Can Fly will continue with the Painkiller franchise.
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

i'm playing it again!!

going for 5-star challenge.
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Holy s***! This is f*cking awesome, I've had it about a weel and beaten twice already. The new levels are amazing, the design and detail in each one are brilliant.

The new enemies are creepy as hell and wonderfully done... better than the originals. I love the new weapons, the boltgun is awesome, fires five stakes at once. :twisted: If you were a fan of the original Painkiller you should really look into this one!! Just be known it is a lot harder than the original. [/img]
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Looks like I need to get it. :twisted:
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

Looks like I need to finish the original first :oops:
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

I still need to upgrade... :?
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

I bought it today... I'm in love.
I didn't have time to play for good, but this is just great stuff.