F.E.A.R. multiplayer BETA public.

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

I don't know about those to big words, but to me you usually just sound like a wanker. :twisted:

[btw]
I'm kidding.
[/btw]
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

The single player demo is out.

I've played through it three times already. It's great.

It's a 664MB download and it does take a hefty system to run it. I run Doom 3 at high detail and 1024*768 and get 50 to 60 frames, but FEAR I run at medium detail same res, it runs about 60 FPS and looks better than Doom 3.

And bloody and gory as hell! I shot some guy in the head with the shotgun... saw his body crumble to the floor and his head go flying away. :twisted: Plus the slowmo and melee combined are great, devastating gameplay tactics.
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

I'm really not fond of that slomo-thing they do. Hated it already when it was in Max Payne. Sure, it looks nice, but a game is meant for playing (instead of watching). I did watch the movies and the game looks good, but I just feel it fairly reeks of Half-s*** fumes. But then, in the first mission there are just soldiers walking about, and I'm inclined to believe that that changes during the next couple of levels.

I 'played' Doom 3 for about 1 minute. Which really means I haven't played it at all. I installed it, and then when the main menu was supposed to show up, everything was black. I could hear the theme, but no visuals. Strange if you consider the fact that I have a graphics-card that many people have (Ti4200) with the most recent nVidia drivers installed. Then I saw the game on another system, concluded it sucked and delete my illegal copy of the game. I never buy videogames because they suck basically. The only games I deemed worthy of buying were:
Blood (One Unit Whole)
Command & Conquer
Red Alert
Warcraft II
Grand Theft Auto
Carmageddon

I also have a copy of C&C Gold, but that's a copy from my friend's version because I was not going to pay the full amount for a game with no new features other than the graphical engine (which they were developing anyways for Red Alert, badly I might add). They didn't even include Covert Operations with the Gold edition, how lame is that? So I feel absolutely justified for that one since I did buy C&C and RA.

I also downloaded a version of Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition from the internet and I had a key I could use on Battle.net. Same story as the C&C Gold incident. Only this time the only new feature was internet-play.

GTA and Carmageddon I bought a couple of years ago in a pack with some other games for about 10 euro's or so. Sweet deal if you ask me.

Phew... quite a post. Sorry 'bout that. :)
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

WOO! I shall be downloading that demo, then. Opinions later.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

the demo is out already?!? Man... I really, really need to upgrade.
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

i'm on it. leeching it thru the torrent, ftps were all busy as it got released, heh. i'll tell you all about it later.

p. s. but i'm also not fond of slomo gimmicks.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

I eagerly await your strict review, Gila. :twisted:
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

I just started this download at, say, 12:30 (so about an hour and a half ago), and it's going at a nice speed. 20% done, and I've got Duke 3D to keep me occupied, just got a copy from that ever-full bargain bin for anything that is eBay.
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

it's very good, looks and is better than doom3, but it was VERY short for it's size.

and it's scripted to death.
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Actualy the AI isn't scripted, yeah there are a lot of scripted moments for the scares. But the AI isn't.
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

yea i know.
mouth
Acolyte

Post by mouth »

You know I was thinking and then just decided that it wouldn't make much sense for me to reply here. That of course, doesn't mean that I won't and here's the result of it.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

I've been playing, and it is unique in that it is insanely hard in the way that Far Cry is (realistic damage and all) without becoming dull. It's been consuming many of my hours lately. My only problem so far is that melee seems a little tacked on. I haven't used it once so far.

Added: Finished the demo, that was indeed very short. But it was cool. I learned some nice tricks nearer to the end, as well as what guns are good for what and when I should use slomo. I like the effects they apply to slomo, and the scripting was ok by me.
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

Just finished playing the demo also. I think it's just too much like any other FPS out there. This one looks a hell of a lot like Half-Life if you ask me, only a bit darker. I realised during playing that this game would make a great coop-game, but that's not gonna happen, seeing that it's awefully scripted. Too bad for that. I liked the sniperrifle however. Nice when the enemies turn into skeletons when you shoot 'em with that thing. :P
AI is indeed quite advanced. If you try to hide somewhere then they will climb over obstacles to come and get ya and stuff. Not really my thing though (I like enemies that are dumb :D).
And I had an annoying bug. Some guy's head (gib) got stuck along the wall, making an endless series of collision sounds, overpowering the other sounds in the game. Also, the audio in general is badly mixed. If you're walking over a body and an arm falls to the floor, then that sound is just as loud as someone standing next to you, firing a rifle. :?
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

I have a small problem with FEAR now. So I decided that an upgrade was in order, because my computer barely met the requirements for it, as well as because Painkiller was crashing. I got an X800XL, and I am incredibly happy. We're talking Painkiller, Half-life 2, Doom 3 and just about everything all getting smooth 60fps in settings that caused my 9600XT to lag to 20fps. FEAR even gets a nice framerate. But because my parents deemed it unnecessary, I had to pay for the X800 and now I can't get FEAR when I was planning to (day it came out). *sigh* Damn my poor foresight.