F.E.A.R. multiplayer BETA public.

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

:twisted: :D

Hell yeah!! Just been playing the preorder beta and holy s***! Monolith has done it again, another top end shooter.
The pyshics in this game are amazing, shoot a picture hanging on the wall... the glass shatters and the picture swings.

The weapons are great, run in point blank with the shotgun and you get a lovely cloud of blood and gibs flying everywhere! So far my favs are the shotgun and plasma weapon. Shoot someone with it and you get a fried skeleton. :shock:

And then there's the melee attacks. And they work great... just finished a round. Another player tried to roundhouse kick me, I crouched and and waited for him to land then slid kicked his legs out from under him.
There's nothing like running up behind someone (sniping out a window) and doing a flying scissor kick to the back of their head. :D Sent his body flying out the window!

And finally, the levels. The few levels we've been able to "test" :wink: are great. The detail is amazing. In the office map in certain cubicles I've found referances to "Office Space". TPS reports laying on desks, and TPS memos laying around.
Setting up remote charges and just waiting for someone to round the hall and BOOM!! red splats all over the place. I simply can't get enough of this game... it looks to be Monolith's best game since Blood.

FEAR is scheduled for release on October 11, but there are rumors of Aug 2 release.
Caleb_2k
Acolyte

Post by Caleb_2k »

...Geomod from Red faction 2 with heavvy modding
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

Damien_Azreal wrote::twisted: :D

Hell yeah!! Just been playing the preorder beta and holy s***! Monolith has done it again, another top end shooter.
The pyshics in this game are amazing, shoot a picture hanging on the wall... the glass shatters and the picture swings.

The weapons are great, run in point blank with the shotgun and you get a lovely cloud of blood and gibs flying everywhere! So far my favs are the shotgun and plasma weapon. Shoot someone with it and you get a fried skeleton. :shock:

And then there's the melee attacks. And they work great... just finished a round. Another player tried to roundhouse kick me, I crouched and and waited for him to land then slid kicked his legs out from under him.
There's nothing like running up behind someone (sniping out a window) and doing a flying scissor kick to the back of their head. :D Sent his body flying out the window!

And finally, the levels. The few levels we've been able to "test" :wink: are great. The detail is amazing. In the office map in certain cubicles I've found referances to "Office Space". TPS reports laying on desks, and TPS memos laying around.
Setting up remote charges and just waiting for someone to round the hall and BOOM!! red splats all over the place. I simply can't get enough of this game... it looks to be Monolith's best game since Blood.

FEAR is scheduled for release on October 11, but there are rumors of Aug 2 release.

...And that's another game I plan on buying now! Tell me though... can you use custom music in anyway or no? No matter if you can't, but it'd be nice!
mouth
Acolyte

Post by mouth »

can u compare it to Blood?
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

You know what guys? Camparison is s***. Why? Because what the f*** does it matter when what you're playing is fun at that very moment you're engaged in it! Basically, quoting someone I know but slightly different... A good game company is a good game company, and a good game is a good game.

So basically, yeah, it sounds like F.E.A.R'll be good, but a good ol' game like Blood will ALWAYS be just as much fun in today, and the future, as it was in the past.

End Rant, and thank you for listening.

Well... maybe when it comes to a game from a series it's ok. ;) Like Blood being Better than Blood 2. (Which sounds odd to me anyhow. Seriously, Blood, then say the number 2 next to it? Wouldn't an episode title be better?)
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Ah, but we know, Mouth, we know. Our dear friend Damien is struck by novelty. Many games these days look all smart, rich and cool at first, but no 3D shooter has been able to keep one coming back for more like Blood has.

Blood's atmosphere is still felt. Its monsters still surprise and shock. Tossing dynamite into a group of zombies still delivers sadistic pleasure. Placing the delivering end of a sawed-off shotgun into a zombie's forehead and pulling the trigger still fuels the senses. Little oddities and quirks in the game still delight. A bundle of tossed dynamite hissing still promises a reward of screams and death.

Blood is never boring and never the same adventure. Using each weapon never becomes dull and slaughtering enemies never gets old.

Blood is forever.
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

DD, trust me... FEAR is Monolith's return to it's dark bloody roots.

It's different atmosphere and it doesn't have the black humor, but it does grab you. I'm not struck by novelty either. :wink: When I played the closed beta I simply thought, this is okay... not bad.
But now, currently playing the open beta, I can't get enough. The game is simply Lith's best work next to Blood.

It's still in it's beta phase and it simply oozes polish, atmosphere and gloom.

I never meant to compare the game to Blood, because IMO every game should be judged on it's own merits. You can't compare games... because every game has it's own style.

But there's just something about entering a firefight in a long hallway, all you can see is smoke, sparks and clouds of blood.
Then slowly the smoke clears. Bodies lay strewn across the floor, blood splatters the walls, floors and ceilings. Body parts (arms, legs and heads) lay about. Holes and chunks are gone form walls.

And your team adds medkits were needed, reloads, and pushes on. :twisted: This is my own opinion, but FEAR looks to be the game that will put Monolith up there as a big name developer.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Point taken. Sounds deliciously crimson.
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Ðædalu§ Ðeathmask wrote:Point taken. Sounds deliciously crimson.
It is. :twisted:

I think you would absolutely love it DD.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Thanks for the hint, mister DA. I'll certainly check into it.

One thing, though... one thing...

... does it have zombies?! :twisted:
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Ðædalu§ Ðeathmask wrote:Thanks for the hint, mister DA. I'll certainly check into it.

One thing, though... one thing...

... does it have zombies?! :twisted:
Hmmm.... zombies? I don't think so.

But it has a released inmate who eats his victums, in one video it shows him thrusting his hand at someone throat and blood spraying.

It has invisible enemies and appear up close and smack you a round, then dissapear. And of course the main thing... a dead little girl who can kill people with only a thought. :D :shock: Plus military type soldiers.

But it's creepy as hell. As the little girl walks by light bulbs explode, books and other objects get thrown from shelves. She leaves bloody foot prints behind. There should be a single player demo.

Does anyone want the system requirments? They are in the readme for the beta.

• US version of Windows(R) 2000/XP with latest service pack installed
• DirectX(R) 9.0c June Edition (Included) or higher
• Pentium(R) 4 1.7 GHz or equivalent
• 1GB RAM
• 128MB DirectX(R) 9.0 video card with pixel shader 2.0 support
• A Monitor that can display in 4:3 aspect ratio
• Additional hard drive space for a Windows(R) swap file and saved game
files.
• CD-ROM or DVD drive
• 100% Windows(R) compatible computer system (including compatible
32-bit drivers for CD-ROM, video card, sound card, and input
devices)
• 16-bit DirectX(R) 9.0 compliant sound card with support for EAX 2.0
• Broadband or LAN connection for multiplayer games.
• Windows(R) compatible Mouse and Keyboard

In order to play the game at the recommended resolution, detail and
performance levels, your computer should meet or exceed the following
specifications:

• US version of Windows(R) XP with the latest service pack installed
• Pentium(R) 4 3.0 GHz or equivalent
• 2GB of RAM
• 256MB DirectX(R) 9.0 video card with pixel shader 2.0 support
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Those are monster requirements!!! :shock:
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

I know, Monolith has said that the requirments will be lower for the retail release. They are still optimizing the engine and shaders and other various things.

But they said these are the requirments needed to see the game at it's higher settings. I'm playing at 1024*768 at medium detail, it looks amazing. Medium detail looks better than HL2 at full detail.

Maximum detail isn't available in the beta... so I can't judge. But I'm guessing by the time the retail release is out, I'll be able to play at the same resolution at high detail. :D
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Well, my comp (barely) meets those requirements, so I'll likely be preodering ASAP so I can get in on this Beta thing. I've looked into F.E.A.R. and I, unfortunately, want it. Too many games to get right now, but it tops my list of "as soon as it comes out" games.
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Okay my fellow friends, I have good news for those of you that care.

Friday, FEAR will be releasing a single player demo to the public for download. As of right now I don't know which sites will have the demo, and after a while it should be up for all to enjoy. :twisted:

Plus I have for your pleasure, the final system requirements. They are lower than the ones released with the beta... seems Monolith did do some good optimizing with the engine.

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIRED
· Windows® XP or 2000 with latest service pack installed
· DirectX® 9.0c (April Edition) (included)
· Pentium® 4 1.7 GHz or equivalent processor
· 512 MB of RAM
· 64 MB GeForce™ 4 Ti or ATI® Radeon® 9600 or equivalent with hardware T&L and pixel shader support
· 5.0 GB free Hard Drive Space for installation
· 4x CD-ROM drive (for Director's Edition, this will have to be DVD-ROM)
· 16-bit DirectX® 9.0 compliant sound card with support for EAX™ 2.0
· Internet Connection Required
· Mouse
· Keyboard

RECOMMENDED HARDWARE
·Pentium® 4 3.0 GHz or equivalent processor
·1 GB RAM
·A 256 MB Radeon® 9800 Pro or equivalent DirectX® 9 compliant video car with hardware T&L and pixel shader 2.0 support

SUPPORTED CHIPSETS
Nvidia GeForce™ 4Ti, GeForce™ FX 5900, FX 5900 Ultra, 6800, 6800 GT, 6800 Ultra
ATI® Radeon® 9600, 9600 Pro, 9600 XT, 9700, 9700 Pro, 9800 Pro, x700 XT, x800 XT, x850 XT

There ya go guys, enjoy. :twisted: Don't say I never did nothing for ya. :wink: