A late, late Painkiller review

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

Surely it's better than half-baked?
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

Update time kids! Whoooo!

Hell yeah! I just finished the first chapter and am in drive of the second one. Just started asylum. Haven't really seen it yet except for the inviting entrance. Anyone get a Cradle to Grave first time flashback? Sure felt that way to me.

Gotta rest though... whew!

I'll keep you all posted. Especially DD on one particular update... ;)

You know something? The level design in the first chapter never annoyed me. Sure it was a bit linear, but not 100% or even as bad as opposed too... Half-f***.

Then again, I just blew right through the levels, But hey Graveyard was nice. The level after that (Can't remember it, it had all those single axe wielding monks) was ok too. The rest? Well... ;)

And I read the first page again. IS a real f*** shame that gamers in general don't give it a chance. Realism is nice, but is it REALLY f*** mandatory!? Why don't they all just Join FPS Doug and go join the Army. it's Basically FPS except better graphics (And more realism, I might add to that.)

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

I eagerly await your chapter 2 (the best one) and Asylum opinion, Drakan. :twisted:
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

Well my Dreaming God, I can tell you this so far. The Oprah level is f*** fantastic. Except that a few seats a missing in front of the stage... :?

You know what else I like about Painkiller? The little things. Shooting hanging bodies from ceilings... the postcards flying out of their boxes... collecting souls... the details in a level feel like a real world... no half life inspired scripts... hanging ninjas on the wall with a stake gun BWHA! Seriously, I smiled wide when I pulled that off! lol! I also adore how the battles are frantic and test your skills and patience in the heat of a battle, rather than exhausting you with 500 foes at once... Sorry Croteam, but that didn't work. Dreamcatcher did the same thing yes, but they pulled it off just right.

*sigh* I love painkiller. I bet if Blood and painkiller were people, they'd marry. :lol:

predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Drakan wrote:I bet if Blood and painkiller were people, they'd marry.
It wouldn't be a good idea as they both would probably be men! :wink:
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

:oops:
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Ahh, but only probably. :wink:

Remember that Blood is a lot more mature than Painkiller, so one of our dearly weds will be cradle-snatching...

... hm... topic getting a little weird.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

... Anyone have any idea on how to add weapons to Painkiller? :twisted:
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

I mentioned a while back, I think, that Battle Out Of Hell always screws up for me. Well, it's gotten worse. Previously, my screen would become filled with random graphics, then fix itself after a little while. Now it immediately crashes. I'm starting to think that it's my CD or something, as updating to the latest version didn't do anything at all, and it's not showing any signs of getting better. I've installed it on my brother's (better :evil: (... sorry to keep blabbing on about it, but it's really unfair for various reasons)) computer, we'll see if that does anything. I probably won't know until tomorrow, as he is being dumb and using his top-of-the-line computer to USE AIM AND THE INTERNET.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Ok, due to the single worst bit of logic possible, it now works as it did before, simply screwing up for a sec when it does one of those nice screen damage effects instead of crashing... a cookie to whoever guesses what I did... and maybe some ice cream, depending on your timing. But anyways, I played through Orphanage, and it is so far my favorite level from either PK or BooH. Loony Park looks... very handicapped friendly... I played for a little while, deja vu... And also, for some reason, my revolving bone door things lock themselves. Does anyone else experience my problems, and if so, HELP PLEASE!!! It's making the game unbearable. And I'm probably wrong in assuming that those things locking is a glitch and I probably failed to notice a door. I'm hoping that's it, I'll try again tomorrow.

Yay triple post!!!1
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

I've never had any problems like that with PK.
If you have the latest patch then it must be something with your system configuration, either on hardware or software level.
You have the latest drivers for your graphics card I presume.
What card is it by the way?
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

ATi Radeon 9600XT, I think I have the latest drivers as the latest are 5.7 and that is what I deciphered from the jumbled "Driver Stats" window. If it helps, I am overclocking it, but through the Overdrive program in the Control Center, so it unoverclocks if it starts to heat up.
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

OK, and you did try to run the game without overclocking your card, right?
If it looks the same then it means the problem is somewhere else of course.
How much RAM do you have - I mean both system and card RAM?
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Well, running without overclocking only makes it run slower... strangely, only certain situations though. In one thing where I'd gotten 20fps, I got 25, and in one where I got 40, I got 30.

1gb system ram, 128mb on my video card.
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Hmmm... it's enough. Well, maybe it's the new drivers then?
Did you have this problem before you installed Catalyst 5.7?