A late, late Painkiller review

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

A late, late Painkiller review

Post by Daedalus »

Alright. So the the computer was fixed up and I decided to give this game a shot. I've lost a lot of faith in the modern gaming system as you all know, but this looked interesting, so I gave it a whirl.

An ominous main menu. An old-style difficulty selection. Interesting. I wasn't sure what to expect, so I played it safe, selecting 'Insomnia'.

I started in a grave setting. Yep, I was in heaven alright. Graves on the first level. A full moon. Mist. Ambience. What? Where are the big machines to show off their graphics? Where are the pitiful switches I need to pull to progress in this game?

Then something strange happened. The music suddenly fired up and a skeleton came out of the earth. Not a Nazi, not an alien. Undead, that's right, sir, undead.

I then learned that this game was all about fighting. Constant fighting, but all of you already know that.

Their mistake was to put me in a graveyard setting, which made me compare the game to Blood at every possible angle.

Now for my rating of the good and bad.

First of all, the graphics are good, but they don't try to show off to you, like most of the modern games. The objects are there because that's where they would be. No stupid train rides or boat rides to show off lighting, physics and how well you can script things. The graphics were effective, but humble.

The gameplay is smooth and nice. You don't get caught in little "push the box" puzzles and your character can actually jump. He even has a voice, which is a nice change. Fighting is smooth and fast paced.

The weapon selection is very limited, but they are all interesting and fun to use.

Level design was a refreshing change, although I prefered the old fashioned levels (of course). Why did they feel the need to make such huge areas, though? Often I'd run to a spot to check out what's going on, only to find nothing and then have to run for 3+ minutes to get to the next area.

Tarot cards are interesting, but I only used them twice and even then; both times I pushed the button by mistake! :lol:

The music was nice, except the combat music was repetative and out of place. I'm not sure on a replacement, but why, oh why, did they feel the need to tell you "Look out! Bad guys are coming!"? The game destroys any possibility of being scary by playing music whenever opponents enter the chamber. No surprise attacks. :cry:

All in all, it was a pleasure. These guys have broken conformity with their senseless combat, instant weapon switching and secret areas. It's nice to see what can be done when you take old style games and give them a new engine. My hat is off to these Painkiller lads.

Friendly review complete.

Now some personal notes about comparing Blood to this fine game. This could make an excellent Blood, if the levels had a bit more life in them and were smaller, a few enemies were already placed at the start of the level and dished out a lot more damage, the world was more interactive and had a few mental challenges and of course, Caleb was behind the weapon. There are many finer qualities still required to make this Blood like, but I'm just presenting a few guidelines.

Nice to see a shotgun, but it felt more like a single barrel shot to me, I don't get the same kick as I do when I use secondary Blood shotty! :twisted:

There were two levels that nearly brought tears to my eyes. 'Asylum' and 'Monastery'.

Both, at first glance, appear so much like Blood's style. I gasped when I first saw 'Asylum'. An exterior area, with a building you have to enter, is so similar to Blood and, well, 'Monastery' speaks for itself.

First time I've sworn on this forum, but 'Asylum' is f*** cool. It's the only level that creeped me out a bit. Those crawling dudes without hands and feet are creepy enough, but crazies flapping their arms about (which were a little more funny than scary), were interesting as well. Those shocking inmates were damn convincing. The mumbling was awesome and they genuinely look like they're in pain when they shock. The atmosphere was fantastic. I smiled when I saw those guys crawling on the roof and seeing those guys lying on the beds was something special. Looking through a doorway and seeing those orange eyes... well, yes. I am truly proud of this level.

Now a few questions, good folk, if you'd be so kind :

1.) How does an increase in difficulty affect the game?

2.) Do I really want to try and finish on Trauma for a secret ending?

3.) Is the game really worth playing more than once?

4.) Should I try and collect all of the Tarot cards? (They seem boring)

5.) Are the levels only accessible on the higher difficulties worthwhile?

6.) Is the expansion any good?

Comments and answers are welcome and encouraged. :D
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Re: A late, late Painkiller review

Post by Willis »

Ðædalu§ Ðeathmask wrote:Now a few questions, good folk, if you'd be so kind :

Comments and answers are welcome and encouraged. :D
You are a bit late, yes :twisted:
Painkiller was fun, though I still haven't completely finished the game or its expansion. My only problem with the game was the you-have-to-kill-everything-to-proceed advancement, and the save/load spots in the middle of a level are annoying. There was a lot of bugs in the game when I first played it, and kinda shelved it for a while, but I know a lot of the stuff has been patched, I'll have to give it a run-through soon.

as for your questions:
1: I believe is just more enemies to kill.
2: I believe it requires you collect all terrot cards. A lot of people liked the special ending better, even though it completely conflicts with the storyline for the expansion pack. But I can't say for sure, I never made it that far before I got sick of the bugs at the time of playing.
3: Maybe... definatly not something I could go back a play a week after finishing and be happy, but with a little space, it can still be fun
4: see 2, also, I didn't really care for the terrot cards myself. I'm sure I missed a lot of them, but don't really care for them either.
5: Good question, I don't know yet ;)
6: Most everybody I've heard talk about it liked it at least slightly more than the original. For what I have played of it, the level design is on par, and even a bit better at times, which I think makes it worthwhile.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Cool. Thanks Willis.
Come on, other folk! Nothing to discuss, or anything to say, about Painkiller with ÐÐ?

Gila is missing.
Hellen
The Eye of Beast

Post by Hellen »

Don’t have time to discuss this game, too much to say, too little time… So, very shortly.
(Sorry for possible misspelling names, I’ve played russian version Painkiller)

Let’s say, I love ‘Asylum’. Kind of creepy now just to remember that “amputee” guys. Yes, it was a good idea to put ‘em on the ceiling (makes you think like “Who’s gone insane in this asylum???”) and on the beds. Fun to play with painkiller only (painkiller without this magical ‘ray of Heaven’s light”). I like hospital theme in all games, I have a special attitude to hospitals of all kinds.
Then, the diseased town. Yeah. Takes you to the dark ages of the Europe. Hangmen in the streets, white cross marked doors, fever, fire, witch-hunt. This level even has it’s own story: when you finally find a necromancer, the source of town’s got diseased, in the catacombs. Yes, and I think, they took this meat-ripping-of-themselves-throwing-at-you ‘zombies’ from Quake.
‘Train station’. Urgh! I finished this level without collecting any soul three times(on different skills). Not an easy task when these undead WWI soldiers keep on running, and running, and running on ya.
Hell. Hell, yeah! I’ve never thought, that Hell may be introduced as THE GREAT FROZEN WAR. Frozen arrows, frozen swords, frozen nuclear blast, frozen drowning carrier, frozen fear, frozen death. Simple idea: ANY WAR IS A HELL. The final showdown with Lucifer just spoils that amazing level. Throwing stones at him is just stupid and uneasy on hard difficulty.

And there’s a pack of sucky levels in this game too. Not so many though. ‘Catacombs’, I actually hate any catacombs, which cause claustrophobia, ‘Bridge’ – the level itself is great(great in size too) but those ninja guys suck. ‘Water town’ – awesome architecture (of buildings, I mean), but dark atmosphere is completely lost, the level is too bright.
The main vice of Painkiller (comparing to Blood) is absolutely lost sense of humor. Where’s that sharp comments? Funny, crazy scenes? The only humorous moment (except for the skeleton warrior in the intro logo) that I noticed are witches. “Look! Look, there’re grannies flying on the broomsticks! Woa! There’re turning to crows. What’s that supposed to mean?”

Tarot cards. Yeah, cute idea. Silver cards(double health, double ammo, triple card use) are cool, gold cards do not help that much.

Music. One word: cool! I’m listening to Painkiller ost, to that tracks which I like the most.

One more: Alastor guy rokz! I love his wings, like how he flies, and jumps, and bites.:)

Just one point on difficulty levels: I finished the game on easy ‘Insomnia’, then started on harder. And it appears, that harder skill unlocks some levels, like ‘Prison’, ‘Woods’.
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

now now.
well, trauma is f*** hard!! on insomnia, you get 100% health back at each check point. none of this on nightmare and trauma.
the diff. levels are worth only for missing tarots if you are a completist and for two locked out levels. forest is INSANE. prison is good.
i've completed it five times. well worth it. it's savage, beautiful and simple. i like it.
yes, altho i'd recommend reading a few faqs on them, how to get 'em more easily and stuff... some are really hard to get. but they make life easier, like the soul stealer card which pulls the souls to you!
yes, prison for the good and another beautiful level and forest for the maniacs and those who like challenges.
it's a mixed bag 50/50%. half of it is awesome, half of it is little bit worse than original (i'm talking about the levels, the main thing of the game).

as for the music, f*** that, that polish metal while is heavy (dear god they play in CGCF tunings) and all that but it's very repetitive. i turned the battle music vol to ZERO and enjoyed some great ambient music.

i hate alastor, this boss is lame. i love the swampy dude, it's just like zoidberg on steroids and looks like swamp is really alive.

this game has so much but i'd like to point out few things i really hated.

- some requirements are ridiculous. try getting all the secrets whithout cheating on the docks level, those crane jumps are not secrets - it's a satanic test of player's patience. secrets are mostly done REALLY lame in this game, and alot of them involve great skill of jumping. that goddamn conejumping secret in city on water!!! took me 45 minutes to get it right.

- when you play the game you don't really notice it but it's actually 3 or 2 or maybe 4 max types of enemies per each level. that's kinda obvious but little more, just little more would be perfect.

- tarots. some are VERY useful, some are lame, the coin/tarot system was not though-out to it's full extent imho.

- some ugly bugs but hey no game goes without em nowadays. but then again, HUGE patches!

- "5 star" requirements is impossible because... well, in factory you can't destroy all objects, in ruins you can't collect all ammo, and some other leves had some serious lame f*** with that. bad choice.

a little more work put into it and this game would be perfect 10/10 at least for me. but as it is, and considering all the latest fps games, it's 9/10 by my scale and it's my favourite.

as for expansion pack.. i dunno, it start really awesome - orphanage, done in the vein of asylum. then loony park, OMG beauty and madness. reminded alot of the dark carnival. then some good levels and then it goes downhill and very rushed. of all 10 levels there are two boss levels. so... think for yourself.

that's my chaotic thoughts on that.

oh yes, the devs said pk is made under the influence of doom, quake (and possibly and obvious, blood) and well, it does the main thing - IT HOLDS UP THE LEGACY. GOOD OLDSCHOOL HARDCORE LEGACY. none of the faggy gordon freeman crap, none of this farcry jungle tours, none of doom's slowass graphics..... pk is great in all that. mad props to PCF and DC.
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

one more thing, for good review of battle out of hell expansion, go read the review on gamespot. it's pretty short read and well, it's exactly my thoughts of it.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

:D Welcome back and thank you.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Double posting. :(

Gila, do you perhaps know of a guide of where to find secrets in Pain Killer? I really don't give a damn about secrets in general because you always have too much ammunition anyway, but I want to find the secrets on the levels that you need to do so to unlock the tarot cards so I can play on Trauma.

If you don't know a place, would you be willing to hold ÐÐ's hand through these levels, sir? 8)
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

better yet go to painkillerhell.com - it has all secret videos there.

sometimes it's very hard to describe in text how to get some secrets that involve some insane jumping tricks.

plus, i forgot all of 'em.

another decision - gamefaqs.com has several faqs i'd recommend - one on the tarot and how to get em and other on secrets, etc.

good luck...
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

I have beaten Painkiller 12 times, seen both endings and 5-starred the game a few times.

Painkiller is a blast, and I love every bit of it. The second (or real) ending doesn't tie in with the expansion story, but it is a more fullfilling ending. You get a better feeling of acomplishment with the second ending.

You can turn of the battle music, and even replace the MP3 tracks with your own. Just make sure you rename your tracks with the same name of the track your replacing.

DD, I'm so glad you discovered the greatness that is Painkiller. My fav levels are Asylum, Village, and the fourth boss fight. :twisted: Such an under rated game. Many gamers won't even give it a chance because of the simplified gameplay machenics. :cry:
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

I think I just discovered the ultimate "review forum". I'm so picking this up baby!!

I'll post you all on it it in a few weeks...
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

of the simplified gameplay machenics.
yeah, i hate this fashion for pussy-n-faggy games like half life2 and "more realism" trend.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

This just in : they should rename the secret areas to athlete areas, because you need to be frikkin' spiderman TO GET THESE s*** SECRETS!!!!! :evil: :evil: What happened to the days where FINDING the secret was enough?!

Busy working my way through Nightmare. More interesting than Insomnia because Insomnia is a walk through the park, in this I actually have to watch my health.

MAJOR DISCOVERY : At the end of Prison, the electric chair generates the exact same sound that features in Blood in various places! Listen for it, lads! 8)

I love the ambience of the Castle mission and the Town (Not Village, Damien :wink: ) is very well done. Man, that place has really gone to hell.
The music is very cool in that Castle mission, too. The ambient music, that is.

Why they felt the need to play that combat music is beyond me. I have nothing against the music; I actually think it's pretty cool, but there are only about two missions that the combat music actually fits the level.

Levels I dislike :

Docks : I really hate this. Dull setting, boring opponents and... well, Gila said the rest.

Military Base : For some reason this level lags like a bitch on my machine. I really love the "military sounds" you hear with the echo and those little soldiers are really cute (love their warcries), but this level is so big and long.

Snowy Bridge : Just dull, but I don't mind the enemies. That jumping is really Matrix style :lol:

Factory : For the same reasons as the Bridge.

And there you have it. More of ÐÐ's Painkiller experiences in a moment...
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Drakan wrote:I think I just discovered the ultimate "review forum". I'm so picking this up baby!!

I'll post you all on it it in a few weeks...
Well, when you get it... stick with it through the first chapter. I know a lot of gamers at 3DR forums that weren't impressed by the first few levels... but once they made it to the second chapter they were in love. :D

Dammit... now I feel the need to go a play Painkiller. :twisted: Oh well... maybe I need a break from Pariah.

Oh and DD, if you like the Asylum you should look into the expansion Battle out of Hell. The opening level is called the Orphanage and it's pretty damn creepy.
Plus they have level called Loony Park, got kindof a Dark Carnival vibe to it. But the later levels kindof loose some steam... but the beginning is great.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

I LOVE ASYLUM! Turn down the gamma so that you need your torch. So... Blood like...

Thanks for the advice, Damien. I might just get the expansion sometime.

I've now seen that it's fitting that you need to be spiderman to get secrets. The company name is fitting, indeed, 'People Can Fly'. That's what they think! :lol: