System Shock 2...

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

System Shock 2...

Post by Damien_Azreal »

I just ordered a boxed copy of System Shock 2. A friend from 3DRealms forums talked me into getting a copy (Hudson) and it should arrive by Monday next week.

I've already downloaded the Rebirth model pack and the SHTUP texture packs. Is there anythign else anyone can suggest to help with my SS2 experiance?

And tips or words of wisdom?

Thanks ahead of time, I'm gonna go play some Deus Ex now. :D
mouth
Acolyte

Post by mouth »

Yeah, u won't be able to solve the game if u don't invest skill points to 'hacking' and 'repair'. not sure how much u need, but those two are essential. that's about it, read/listen all the journals, watch the environment closely for clues and enjoy this great game :)
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

I'm going to play this with headphones and complete darkness. Hudson at 3DR has been telling me how great this game is for the past few years. :D I'm hoping for a great gaming experiance.
Daedolon
Cultist

Re: System Shock 2...

Post by Daedolon »

Damien_Azreal wrote:And tips or words of wisdom?
Play all the games you have, since it will be the last time you do that!

Post by Guest »

Oh you bastard you can't come in here and talk like that!
That's right - he can't, so I deleted his post.
-Frightfan

Oh and Damien_Azreal can you please tell me more information about system shock 2 please :D :wink: and have you played the first one? and how is deus ex the first one?

oh and what is the rebirth model pack and the SHTUP texture packs
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

Best. Doom Avatar. Ever.

Resume topic.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the nice comment about my avatar :D
and i am on this topic.
mouth
Acolyte

Post by mouth »

Caleb wrote:Oh you bastard you can't come in here and talk like that!
-Frightfan

Oh and Damien_Azreal can you please tell me more information about system shock 2 please :D :wink: and have you played the first one? and how is deus ex the first one?

Deus ex is not the first SS. Deus ex was created by Warren Specter, who is the father of SS as well. The first System Shock was ahead of its time and didn't do that well in terms of selling. Part of the reason were (at that time) difficult controls which you couldn't rebind.

Rebirth model pack - made by fans of the game, only about 3 and a half megs zipped. Replaces all the models in the game (some peeps say that the original models are very ugly) with nicer, higher quality models.

SHTUP texture pack - haven't tried that, but I assume it changes in game textures. some info would be nice :)

XP users also need a fix that will allow them to run the game.
v2.23 brings multiplayer.

p.s. watch out, game eats and requires huge ammount of time.
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Caleb wrote:Oh you bastard you can't come in here and talk like that!
-Frightfan

Mouth did already beat me to this, but what the hell.

I've only played a few hours of the game but it is fantastic. SS2 is a RPG/FPS... and a great one. You play as your choice of marine/navy/ or o.s.a. officer. Your stationed aboard the Vaun Braun, a spaceship that's capable or dimensional travel (watch Event Horizon... same concept). But things go wrong... I'm not gonna say what goes wrong. But I will say that there's a few ghosts, parasite driven zombies... all sorts of good things.

I havn't played the first SS... but I do have a copy on order from eBay.

And Deus Ex... god I love that game. A beautiful combination of RPG and FPS gameplay. Plenty of free roaming play, side missions all sorts of "play it your way" style. The skill system and Augmentation system is wonderfully implamented.
I would galdly suggest Deus Ex to any FPS fan... it's a great game.

And so far I'm in love with SS2... it won't work at all on the PC I'm on right now, but it's working on my girl friend's PC. I read somewhere it's because my PC has Hyper Threading... SS2 won't work with HT. Oh well... it's working on her PC and it's great. :D I'm gonna go play some more.
Daedolon
Cultist

Post by Daedolon »

Actually, I would recommend you to at least watch the System Shock 1 intro before playing the second one (to catch the concept of Shodan and Citadel Station), you can download it from here.
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Some friends from 3DR forusm have told me all about Shodan and the Citadel. My copy of SS should arrive next week... then I just gotta follow the instructions over at ttlg forums and I'm set. :D
Daedolon
Cultist

Post by Daedolon »

I hope they didn't spoil ALL the fun you'd be going to have with her. Well, have a blast! :)