Powerslave?

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Powerslave?

Post by Damien_Azreal »

I'm looking into expanding my collection of games (mostly FPS) and I've ordered a few older games. But I am very curious about Powerslave.

I never really heard a whole lot about it. And I know it uses the build engine, is based in an egyptian theme. But has anyone here played it? And if so, what's it like?

I have access to an older PC, so I could play it. I'm mostly curious.

Trying to round up all the Build games. :D
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

overall, it sucks. doesn't even have autorun.
mouth
Acolyte

Post by mouth »

doesn't suck that bad. it's quite behind duke3d, blood and all the other build games. level design is old school, but a bit better than witchaven's. yeah, u gotta hold s*** to run but there are a few good moments in this game. Especially the way the main protagonist says "You son of a bitch", u just gotta hear that :D
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

u gotta hold s*** to run
HAHA LOLZ! THATS FOR SURE!
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

Never played Powerslave for the PC, but I've heard about it. Nice graphics too, just heard it wasn't quite that good. (Keyboard only, right? Come on...and end level saving???) Been awhile since I looked into it, So my memories vague here.

But...

(The following is irralavent if you don't care for console games)

Mind you... I f*** loved it for Sega Saturn and Playstation, even though I found the texturing to bland for my taste, and level design was a mixed bag of nice but... unrealistic. I dunno... hard to explain. But still, it had some IMO revolutionary gameplay. Using artifacts to reach inaccessible areas? Sounds old I know, But it's more like using them to reach new exits to new levels. A mixec bag of machine guns and ancient weapons is fun to0(Though why there's NO shotgun leaves me dumbfounded...) f***... I could go on all day! Good night!
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

The screenshots make me thing of an early version of Serious Sam
Daedolon
Cultist

Post by Daedolon »

Gila wrote:overall, it sucks. doesn't even have autorun.
What? It's my favourite right after SW and Blood.
sirlemonhead
Cultist

Post by sirlemonhead »

you MUST get the PSX version (or the saturn..but really, you'll most likely run it on a psx emulator on the pc :p)

I love that game :D (the PSX version!!)
Daedolon
Cultist

Post by Daedolon »

Yeah, it's awesome, it even has some true-polygon objects in the levels and level structure. I wonder if it's based on Build or not.
sirlemonhead
Cultist

Post by sirlemonhead »

It's a whole new 3D engine. Don't think it has anything to do with build at all. I think it was the same engine used for the psx version of duke3d too.
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Well, I tried the demo.

I played the first level (without sound... damn you WinXP) for a few minutes, and then it crashed.

It seemed interesting. And without sound, I can't really judge. Does anyone have any idea how to get it working in XP?
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

It probably works the same as the Build on XP instructions. You could also try the tut over on R.T.C.M.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Have you ever tried Chasm-The Rift?

It's the same type of game, never really took off, but it was wayyyy ahead of it's time. The first FPS with limb-loss and weather effects, I played the crap out of that game several times through.

You can get it here if your interested:

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=2760
Daedolon
Cultist

Post by Daedolon »

I hated the mouselook in Chasm, and I never got it run smoothly with the 640x480 resolution since it doesn't have a support for OpenGL nor Direct3D
mouth
Acolyte

Post by mouth »

ya, i tried chasm like 6 years ago, twas cool. too bad theres no 3d card support though....