Expertise on the Quake Engine and Quake Modding

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

BEAST
Zealot

Expertise on the Quake Engine and Quake Modding

Post by BEAST »

Since I aspire to be a game designer, I want to learn how to mod and code for Quake. I don't know where to start. Alongside the Transfusion project, I've been inspired by Quake mods like Nehahra and Dark Places games like Hazard. I would like to seek help from the Quake 1 community on what to do, but I'm afraid they'll just ridicule me (plenty of forums for old games tend to not be very friendly these days). How does one find the right people who are experts on Quake's engine and Dark Places, as well as experts on Quake modding?
VGames
Acolyte

Re: Expertise on the Quake Engine and Quake Modding

Post by VGames »

Go here:

http://idtechforums.fuzzylogicinc.com/index.php

Not many questions are asked about that old engine but I'm sure someone will help if they can. Very friendly small group of guys.
BEAST
Zealot

Post by BEAST »

Thanks, V Games! I'm grateful for your help! :D
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

I don't suppose you'd be interested in a less learning curve intensive engine, like a modernized doom port?
BEAST
Zealot

Post by BEAST »

N0t_mINe wrote:I don't suppose you'd be interested in a less learning curve intensive engine, like a modernized doom port?
I am certainly interested in learning how to edit in a modernized Doom port, like ZDoom of GZDoom. EDuke, Game Maker, Unity have caught my eye as well. It's just that I want to play around with Quake to see if can work for one of my experimental projects. Believe me, I'd long to do a project with ZDoom/GZDoom, after playing freeware Doom games like Action Doom 2 and The Adventures of Square. It's nice to know where Quake guys are if I need to how it works.