Doom E3 2015 Teaser

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderators: Slink, General Discussion Moderators

User avatar
N0t_mINe
Acolyte
Posts: 518
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 05:35 am
Location: LURKERS DON'T DRAMA.

Re: Doom E3 2015 Teaser

Postby N0t_mINe » Sat May 23, 2015 04:44 pm

Despite having the steam app for android, complete access to my account with all security questions and capchas answered correctly, I was informed after digging through a policy page that I would have to have the computer that the original steam account was on. Mind you, I could purchase a new doom collection using my account with android, but access to old files wasn't allowed.

I have both the original half life and Opposition force on cd, loved both games and can't play them without violating some sort of agreement. Dispite my displeasure and mistrust, I started a steam account just to play hl2, which I enjoyed. After purchasing doom2 my attitude towards steam began to relax, and then a hard drive failure occured. Seeing as I'm big on used computers, this was a semi expected event, surely a steam account would prove to be a useful thing, or so I reasoned.

But no. Here I am again, a consumer of valve software who yet again cannot utilize said software because of some piracy concern. Valve goes beyond i.p. protection, they are intentionally creating a service. The service model of sales has no other purpose than to create a constant flow of income. They are hurting themselves and the software industry by doing this, never mind what happens to the end user market, which shrinks because of such practices.
User avatar
VGames
Acolyte
Posts: 349
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 02:27 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Doom E3 2015 Teaser

Postby VGames » Sat May 23, 2015 05:43 pm

That's not true at all. U don't need the original PC that u bought a game on through Steam to play that game through Steam. I dont even have the PC I had when I bought HL2 and I can still download and play it anytime I want. I think there's something wrong on your end. I've never had these issues. Steam is great. My games are always there and I've been able to play so many games thanks to it. I don't need a hard copy to know that I own the game. I can play them whenever I want on any PC or laptop wherever. It's that dependable.

The only time I buy hard copy's is for those special games. Like Doom.
User avatar
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child
Posts: 1155
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 07:30 am
Location: Rural Alberta, Canada
Contact:

Re: Doom E3 2015 Teaser

Postby Tchernobog » Sun May 24, 2015 03:19 am

VGames wrote:Steam is great. My games are always there and I've been able to play so many games thanks to it. I don't need a hard copy to know that I own the game. I can play them whenever I want on any PC or laptop wherever. It's that dependable.

Once again someone presenting the false dichotomy that the choice is between hard copy and Steam. Most of my games are digital copies, which I also got for heavy discounts, but none of them have been purchased through Steam. The benefits to digital distribution are not limited to Steam, although it it is true that Valve helped popularize it. Unlike Steam though, I do not need to always login into an account and have a client open to play and access my games, meaning that I am not beholden to any central service.

VGames wrote:Steam is pretty tough on all of us when it comes to piracy. But we brought that on ourselves as PC users. Too many bad eggs out there. I mean cmon, how many times have u used torrents to get what u want?

So the solution to there being a few bad eggs is to ruin the lot? I will not pay good money to be treated like a criminal, especially since the efficacy of DRM and the actual long term harm of piracy to developers is still far from established.
User avatar
VGames
Acolyte
Posts: 349
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 02:27 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Doom E3 2015 Teaser

Postby VGames » Sun May 24, 2015 04:51 pm

You'd do the same thing with your business. You wouldn't take any chances with the lot. Quit acting like u wouldn't.

You're starting to sound like a hipster. Steam is great. So what if u have to login to play some games. It's not like you're breaking your back to login. And that's only with games that need a connection because they're mainly multiplayer based. There's always offline mode for games that are mainly singleplayer based. Don't be such a nonconformist. You'll miss out on a lot.

Also why do u use Linux so much? Why not windows?
User avatar
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite
Posts: 614
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Russia

Re: Doom E3 2015 Teaser

Postby Gila » Sun May 24, 2015 11:06 pm

Are u guys not excited? This is the Doom we've been waiting for. Fast paced, gory, old school gameplay. It's Doom 1 & 2 all over again.

i aint holding any hope

and something tells me it wont be "good ol' d1/d2" style most likely
User avatar
VGames
Acolyte
Posts: 349
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 02:27 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Doom E3 2015 Teaser

Postby VGames » Mon May 25, 2015 12:22 am

Did u not read the first hand eyewitness reports from everybody that was at last years Quakecon? Sounds like D1/2 gameplay to me.
User avatar
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child
Posts: 1155
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 07:30 am
Location: Rural Alberta, Canada
Contact:

Re: Doom E3 2015 Teaser

Postby Tchernobog » Mon May 25, 2015 03:59 am

VGames wrote:You'd do the same thing with your business. You wouldn't take any chances with the lot. Quit acting like u wouldn't.

As someone who has sold and will continue to sell a product to customers, I can assure you that I do not start by treating them like criminals and interfering with how they choose to use their purchase. Maintaining a certain degree of respect is needed when operating a business. Steam violates this and makes it impossible for me to work with them.

VGames wrote:You're starting to sound like a hipster.

Actually, I am a cowboy. Nice attempt at an ad-hominem though.

VGames wrote:Steam is great. So what if u have to login to play some games. It's not like you're breaking your back to login. And that's only with games that need a connection because they're mainly multiplayer based. There's always offline mode for games that are mainly singleplayer based.

By being tied to an account all of my games would then have to be tied to one session, meaning that only one instance of them could be played at any one time. Further, if the service that account is a part of disappears then many of these games would be rendered inoperable. That service could also remove access to the games that I previously paid for at any time, preventing me from playing them even if I made my own backups of the software in question. I do not rent games, I buy them, and when I do, expect have full power over the titles that I purchased.

VGames wrote:Don't be such a nonconformist. You'll miss out on a lot.

I am sure that I have played dozens of great games that you have not even heard of. I am not going to fret about missing out on a few titles when there are hundreds that I can play without having to sacrifice my standards. In addition, by supporting alternative markets I am helping them grow and allowing them to offer even more great games for me to play. The fact that I was in the past week able to buy Blood and have it count as a Linux sale goes to show that such discipline is working. I am not closing doors by doing this; I am opening them.

I also have to say that you have picked a really bad time to try and argue with me that I am missing out by supporting the underdog, when I have seen so many instances of it paying off in the past month.

VGames wrote:Also why do u use Linux so much? Why not windows?

Because it offers me greater control over my system and because I do honestly appreciate the ideals behind the free software movement. I also appreciate the cost savings it grants me and the convenience of not having to deal with dozens of restrictive licenses and other impediments that more proprietary offerings place in my way. While much of it is still idealistic, most of my reasons for using Linux are also deeply pragmatic. Just like my aversion to Steam.
User avatar
N0t_mINe
Acolyte
Posts: 518
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 05:35 am
Location: LURKERS DON'T DRAMA.

Re: Doom E3 2015 Teaser

Postby N0t_mINe » Mon May 25, 2015 02:13 pm

My fear of command line hijinks puts me firmly in the window's camp, but this week was not a good time to be on that side.

Windows 10 update will turn the OS into a service, complete with a monthly bill. So your operating system is effectively an utility now.


woooot!

Go M$ go!

Just go already...
User avatar
VGames
Acolyte
Posts: 349
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 02:27 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Doom E3 2015 Teaser

Postby VGames » Mon May 25, 2015 05:08 pm

I'll gladly pay it if it's actually like that and if I have to use it. I'm still using Windows 7 because I don't need to upgrade to Windows 8. When it comes down to it the only reason I have a $2000 PC is for high end gaming. And Windows is the only way to go for that kind of gaming. Sure there's lots of great free games or indie games that are just as good if not sometimes better then the AAA games but the games that stick around for me are the AAA games. I don't play those awesome indie games forever. I play AAA games forever. Like the Blood series.

Back on topic: Doom is gonna rule. And I bet u that when it does well there's gonna be a huge demand for the return of other classics. Especially one we all love.
User avatar
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child
Posts: 1155
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 07:30 am
Location: Rural Alberta, Canada
Contact:

Re: Doom E3 2015 Teaser

Postby Tchernobog » Mon May 25, 2015 10:03 pm

VGames wrote:Back on topic: Doom is gonna rule. And I bet u that when it does well there's gonna be a huge demand for the return of other classics. Especially one we all love.

There already has been an increased demand for more classic shooters, thankfully. In fact, Devolver Digital even looked into purchasing the Blood rights following the success of the new Shadow Warrior. Sadly the rights were too expensive for them to obtain.
User avatar
VGames
Acolyte
Posts: 349
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 02:27 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Doom E3 2015 Teaser

Postby VGames » Mon May 25, 2015 11:54 pm

Oh yeah I know that but this is the big push we've been needing. Wolfenstein really got it going and Doom will finish it. The guys that own the rights to Blood are really gonna have to think about doing something with it. The time to make money on the Blood franchise is now. I'm so excited for all the possibilities that Doom will bring on.
User avatar
VGames
Acolyte
Posts: 349
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 02:27 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Doom E3 2015 Teaser

Postby VGames » Mon Jun 15, 2015 04:45 am

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
VGames
Acolyte
Posts: 349
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 02:27 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Doom E3 2015 Teaser

Postby VGames » Mon Jun 15, 2015 04:14 pm

User avatar
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite
Posts: 614
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Russia

Re: Doom E3 2015 Teaser

Postby Gila » Mon Jun 15, 2015 05:43 pm

reminds more of Doom3 (but not dark and not so lame) than Doom1/2
User avatar
VGames
Acolyte
Posts: 349
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 02:27 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Doom E3 2015 Teaser

Postby VGames » Mon Jun 15, 2015 05:46 pm

It's got the atmosphere for sure but the gameplay is much quicker. Reminds me of both at times. Plus this isn't the most enemies you'll see on screen. Supposedly there will be much more at times. I love it.

Return to “General Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests