F.E.A.R. Platinum comes to GOG

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Re: F.E.A.R. Platinum comes to GOG

Post by Tchernobog »

VGames wrote:I like the nuke scene.
Well, you are the one looking forward to the end times. :wink:
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

You got that right.

That minigun in the expansion pack is awesome too. Does the expansions come with this version?
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Yes, the GOG.com release has all of the Platinum Collection content.

I just finished Extraction Point last night and actually enjoyed it a bit more than the main campaign. I guess I just enjoy blasting my way through haunted cathedrals, funeral homes, subway stations, and dark hospitals. I wonder what games those reminded me of?

Still, in the course of a week I played through all of F.E.A.R. as well as one of its expansions, while also finishing off the bonus campaign of Shadowrun: Hong Kong which must have taken up at least four hours of my gaming time. F.E.A.R. still feels kinda short, is what I'm saying.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

So Perseus Mandate is okay. I still like Extraction Point the best. Out of all of them.

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin does not WINE as well as the original game does, giving me problems with positional audio, as well as freezing whenever I try to "Exit to Windows" as if it is afraid of being dishonest, but I was able to soldier through the main campaign regardless:

A lot of mixed feelings about this one. It it is often undermined by its own hubris. A very decadent game. :-|
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Well, by the end of Reborn I was really beginning to despise the checkpoint system. Especially after I died three times before finding the sniper I had to shoot before the game would condescend to save my progress again. Or the five or so times I died before finding the missile launcher I was supposed to use to defeat the power armour which in the end got me the award for defeating the damn thing in under thirty seconds. :banghead:

But it is done now. All of it. Unless they put F.3.A.R. on GOG.com soon. :gargoyle:
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

That's great. Perseus mandate was a waste for me. Extraction point was the best. More killy less talky. Plus that minigun.

I love FEAR 2. The action was smooth and the mech armor. So fun. Never played fear 3. Heard it was more of the same from fear 2.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

You know, I am beginning to think there might be more to Terry Halford in terms of references than just the Shogo 2 T-shirt:
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

So coming back to F.E.A.R. 2 the problems with the positional audio in WINE have been fixed, and it is much better experience:

Image Image Image Image Image

Still not getting a solid stable frame rate, but it is perfectly playable.
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

How about those mech battles huh?
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

I have always had a petty "grudge" over F.E.A.R. because of it's existence as a horror shooter and how much Monolith latched onto it while Blood continued to be ignored. Granted, Blood II was largely out of Monolith's power and all the other legal BS that made things harder for Blood but still. The first one was pretty cool but enemy variety was crap as well as level variety. Not enough supernatural monsters and I don't like the "scary little girl" trope at all. Alma isn't scary or disturbing in the slightest...well, not really. The ending scene in F.E.A.R. 2 was disturbing but I also disliked it. I hate to use this word but it was very edgy and while it succeeded in being disturbing, it was too realistically disturbing to me. That and a few of the gaming community's reactions to that scene left a sour taste in my mouth. Honestly, this series would be so much better if Alma just didn't exist at all. She's a failed attempt to emulate a Japanese horror trope IMO and Monolith should've just focused on a new Blood game instead but, again, that ship had sailed long ago.