Frozen Nightmares

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Frozen Nightmares

Post by Tchernobog »

So a new Indie game that has caught my attention is Frozen Nightmares, a survival FPS game that is currently being developed through Desura's Alpha Funding program.
In the year 2023 the U.S government started to work on a drug that was capable of taking any body and increase its muscles size and strength, the first test on an actual human was performed on the year 2025, the results were horrendous, the human dramatically gained muscle size but the tested subject became extremely dumb and violent, he was described as a gorilla and had to be killed right away. The drug stopped being produced and tested. In the year 2028 a hospital in Michigan reported a huge number of people infected with an unknown virus, the virus got the name of "gorilla virus", people infected by it were described as wild animals that just wanted to destroy things, including other humans. The virus rapidly spread across the U.S and later across the world.
http://www.desura.com/games/frozen-nightmare

The trailer is a little more interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROF8rGuC ... r_embedded

Blasting things with Tommy Guns in the far north? Were have I seen that before? :P

The game has been confirmed for a final release on Mac, Linux, and Windows.
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Re: Frozen Nightmares

Post by dosgamer000 »

Wish my computer could play it (runs a very old card) as I had a interest in horror themes in FPS games lately (E3M1 of Death Wish comes to mind). Nice to see the Thompson being used even if it's in 2025. :)
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Which card do you have then dosgamer000? The game is only Unity based after all.
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

I have a SiS 760 if I am not mistaken. I had a software once refer to it as "ancient" before :lol: . It plays Blood quite well and other old games, but I'm pretty sure it can't handle modern games (it can't run Transfusion at all.) It serves it's purpose though because I have little interest in most modern games although I'd like to try Transfusion.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

dosgamer000 wrote:I have a SiS 760 if I am not mistaken.
:shock:

*head explodes*

I know you are not into modern games, but how can you even browse the modern internet if your machine has that ancient hardware?

Here is my rig, and I am in the progress of getting it upgraded:
Processor: AMD Sempron 140 2.7 Ghz
Video Card: Diamond AMD Radeon HD 4670
Memory: 4 Gigabytes DDR2 1066
Hard Drive: 2 TB Western Digital Caviar Green

I am curious to see what your specs are? Probably a quite nice antique rig (and that is not a criticism by any means). 8)
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

Sorry for the head explosion Tchernobog! :lol:

The processor is an AMD Sempron 3000+ and I have 1.81GHz, 448 of RAM.

Yeah, it browses the Internet quite nice actually but it lags if some fancy graphic on a site starts running. I'm still glad I have it though, modern games or not.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

An interesting rig, although not quite as old as I thought based on the graphics chip. I mentioned the internet thing as I was stuck using an older laptop when my main machine went down for a few months, and I found things to be rather distressing (mostly due to an over-reliance on inefficient scripting these days). Still, surely you could get an inexpensive AGP or PCI video card that could help things out with Transfusion?

Still, what OS are you running on that? Windows XP, or something a little bit more suited to a DOS gamer? :wink:

By the way, my order just got approved, so I should be getting my new parts in a couple weeks. 8)
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

I run Windows XP and 95% of DOS games that can't run naturally I run through DosBox (Sierra games absolutely refuse to run through.) I sometimes get nostalgic about older Win95/98 and I think I even had 2000 at one point. Games back then seemed much simpler and charming. Most newer games don't draw me in as much as games from the 90's did. Not to say newer games are bad, just they haven't captivated me as much.

Yeah, I always planned to get a better graphics but could never get around to it. That, and there wasn't too much demand for one really (my biggest problems are hi-end GZDoom wads and Transfusion as mentioned before.) I really liked one GZDoom mapset (with a nice Silent Hill-inspired horror theme) called Unloved that I was forced to use cheat codes because the lag made it unplayable normally. But then again, I guess it's my fault for using old relics as hardware, isn't it? :lol:

Glad to see your parts are arriving soon, perhaps I'll be installing new hardware soon as well. 8)
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

dosgamer000 wrote:I run Windows XP and 95% of DOS games that can't run naturally I run through DosBox (Sierra games absolutely refuse to run through.) I sometimes get nostalgic about older Win95/98 and I think I even had 2000 at one point. Games back then seemed much simpler and charming. Most newer games don't draw me in as much as games from the 90's did. Not to say newer games are bad, just they haven't captivated me as much.
Hey, you do not need to sell me on the concept - we are posting this on a Blood forum after all. Most modern games I play are Indie games anyway, which are in many ways just the old shareware games industry revived. :)

Interestingly enough, one of the reasons I am upgrading is so that I can get my hand on a Quad Core CPU so that I can Dosbox things better (Dosbox really appreciates being multi-threaded). Hopefully I will be able to play Blood with a little less lag than I do now.

When it comes to Sierra, have you tried any of your games with ScumVM yet?
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

Thanks for the software rec Tchernobog! :D I'll give it a go and see if it can run Lighthouse: The Dark Being (a solid Myst clone) later. Speaking of DosBox, I get decent framerate when running Blood but lags when recording (perhaps a stronger graphics card/processor will help?) Maybe then I would have some new content to upload on my YT channel.

EDIT: Just tried it and it didn't work with with Lighthouse. I read it was unsupported before hand but tried anyway. Ah well, there are still a few Sierra games that might work, thanks again Tchernobog.