Unable to Play Ken's Original and JonoF's BUILD Demo

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

BEAST
Zealot

Unable to Play Ken's Original and JonoF's BUILD Demo

Post by BEAST »

I've downloaded Ken's BUILD demo, and tried to play it on DOSbox. Doesn't work. Then I downloaded JonoF's port of the BUILD demo, and it's unable to play. Wish I could contact Ken and the guy behind the JonoF port, but of course, the main site for the BUILD guys is abandoned.

Since I am among the experts in BUILD and BUILD powered games: how do you play the classic BUILD demo? I've been dying to play the demonstration which got 3D Realms' gears going.

I operate with a Lenovo Windows XP laptop, so could it be that its software confliction with the port that's the problem?
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Re: Unable to Play Ken's Original and JonoF's BUILD Demo

Post by Tchernobog »

Is this what you mean?

BEAST
Zealot

Post by BEAST »

Good God, that is exactly what my problem is! So you haven't figured out this problem either? Where's Ken when we need him!
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Alright, now that I know the problem I was able to diagnose it. It is actually fairly simple to fix.

You simply need to download the DOS4GW.EXE file and place it in your KENBUILD directory (or wherever you have Dosbox mounted as C:\).
This is a DOS extender, it allows programs to use more than 640kB memory (up to 64MB) on a 386 or above. It was distributed with the Watcom C compiler and is needed for many later DOS games.
http://www.download-central.ws/System/DOS4GW.EXE/

Seriously, if more Windows users were aware of the wonders of console outputs... :P
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

I think you can also use the dos4gw.exe from Blood (or any other game).
ZedSlayer
Axe Zombie

Post by ZedSlayer »

Actually Ken has a link for it on his own page since he knows this is an issue.

Under utilities page on his site

http://advsys.net/ken/utils.htm

"Ok, obviously this isn't mine. It's the default DOS extender that Watcom C uses. I put it here just in case you need it to run one of my programs."

Though the Jonof version does seems to not be able to run, thought I wonder if that has anything to do with Windows 7 64...

Edit:... Ah nevermind, found the answer was some buffer error that windows XP compatibility mode solved