Expecting anything from E3 2011?

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Expecting anything from E3 2011?

Post by Tchernobog »

The E3 2011 Gaming Expo has started today, and while I am not particularly interested in most of the titles being shown there, some of the games being demonstrated might just catch my interest.

Phoronix has done a pretty good article for what us Linux guys can look forward to, if you can get over the fact they are still insistent that Steam is coming to Linux:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... &px=OTUzOA

So, is there anything you are looking forward to for any platform? :)
Ransu
Cheetah

Re: Expecting anything from E3 2011?

Post by Ransu »

Well I already have Rage, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword pre-ordered. I watched E3 on gametrailers.com and the one game I was the most excited about seeing was Far Cry 3 because it's returning to being more like the first game while bringing some gameplay from the second game. Also, Nintendo's new console should be awesome since it's their first console to do HD graphics and it's more powerful than the 360 and PS3. :D
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

After seeing that big heap of poo called Duke Nukem Forever I can finally say with certainty that I hope they NEVER attempt to make a Blood 3...........
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

So what about the game exactly has been turning people off so much exactly? I am not trying to defend it, I have not played it, I am just wondering why it is now being considered the second coming of Daikatana? :|
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Basically they tried to make it a so called "Modern FPS". Cut scenes around every corner, Duke gradually regains HP...etc. He can only carry 2 guns...meh. It's a little bit of every lame console based FPS released in the last 10 years. The bigger problem is all those other lame games do what they do better then this game tries to. Some people are also are complaining that the graphics are dated, I could really care less about that as long as the actual game is fun, but it's not..........

I thought Duke 3D was overrated to begin with so maybe my view is skewed.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Those criticisms do sound fair, plus the previous points of them trying to be the next Postal without the wit, and I mean going as far as actually taking a mode from Postal 2: Share the Pain Multiplayer! If the demo was not as large as it seems to be or was available through FTP I would download it and try it through WINE, just to see why everyone is screaming for myself, but seems out of the question at this point.

I did like Duke 3D though, not as much as Blood obviously or even Doom, but Duke 3D did introduce so many FPS staples that it has to be seen as one of the FPS highlights of the '90s. Still, you find Doom to be overrated and Duke3D to be overrated, what games do you consder to be FPS classics then Joe, I am curious? Well, Blood of course, but what else? :)
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

I don't recall ever saying Doom was overrated. I loved Doom. I thought Doom 3 was good as well.
Duke 3D was ok, but severely overrated IMO.
Shadow Warrior was great but never received the fanfare of Duke for some reason.
One of my all time favorites is Heretic. For it's time I thought it was the most innovative and interesting game around. It has some nostalgia for me also because it was the first game I figured out how to multiplayer with.
I loved Quake but it took me awhile to warm up to it.
Hexxen was good also, I didn't like it as much as Heretic but liked it far more than Duke.

Duke was just blah to me... I didnt like the color palette, the monsters were goofy looking, i really didn't grasp onto the whole theme of it for some reason.

It could have been for the simple fact that Blood was around then and Duke looked stupid compared to it.....

I remember being jealous of the fact that I wanted to play Blood online but on Kali there would be 1 Blood room and 354 Duke rooms. Those people used to p*** me off :)
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Not to be that bastard who always has a tape recorder in his pocket, but...
I Live...AGAIN wrote:Doom. I actually think it's right where it should be. Great game but people give it too much credit.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2436

Though you are right, there is a difference between saying it gets to much credit and it being overrated, so I guess I retract my statement.

I will admit Duke does live heavily off nostalgia for me, as it was one of the first FPS games I played after Doom. Duke was interesting to me because, unlike Doom, it tried to show the real world and not just some lunar base on Phobos (although it did have the space station, though that is my least favourite episode). The Atomic edition is a great example of this, having levels set in a shopping mall and a restaurant, for example. This is something that was thankfully inherited by Blood. 8)

In my view Shadow Warrior was hurt by the fact that the it was not handled right once you reach the second episode. It should have been split up into at least two distinct episodes, as the way it turned out it makes you feel like you are fighting hoards and hoards of monsters (or ninjas) and not progressing anywhere. They should have had an episode transition when you defeated the fat man at least. :)

I for some reason could never get into Heretic or Hexen though. Heretic always seemed to much like a fantasy Doom mod to me, and I tended to get lost in the levels. Hexen was a bit more interesting to me, but the hubs made things even more confusing. I spent a lot of time playing the Hexen II demo, but when I tried to play the full game I always just seem to loose interest. I never played Heretic II, but that barely has any relationship to the other games. So I guess I just do not have the patience to play them properly. :|
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Ahhh, I was trying to remember where I dissed Doom.

I did say it was great there though :D I thought it was ranked right where it should be on a top 100 list.

Some people would argue that it's the greatest game of all time which I think is a little much, just a matter of opinion.

I agree that Hexen was a bit confusing to begin with which turned me off, but looking back it was just because they took the game in a direction we had not seen before. I played it again just a couple years ago and it's a masterpiece.

One game that you wouldn't expect that I loved was Daikatana! Actually not the final released game but the demos released earlier. There were 2 or 3 different multiplayer demos that were released loooong before the final game and they were awesome. I remember playing on Mplayer every night and they even had a Daikatana tournament. I dont know what they did to that game in the last year of development but it was nothing like the demos at all. It's one of the only games I remember where the demos were far better than the actual game.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

I Live...AGAIN wrote:Some people would argue that it's the greatest game of all time which I think is a little much, just a matter of opinion.
Yeah, well, I usually just try to avoid ranking anything as being number one or a personal favourite. After all, good games are just good games. :)
I Live...AGAIN wrote:One game that you wouldn't expect that I loved was Daikatana! Actually not the final released game but the demos released earlier. There were 2 or 3 different multiplayer demos that were released loooong before the final game and they were awesome. I remember playing on Mplayer every night and they even had a Daikatana tournament. I dont know what they did to that game in the last year of development but it was nothing like the demos at all. It's one of the only games I remember where the demos were far better than the actual game.
Funny that you brought up Duke Nukem Forever in the same thread as you bring up Daikatana... though that is probably becoming quite common now. :P

EDIT: Looking back, I was the first to bring up Daikatana... :|
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Since I found some of his videos on YouTube, I grabbed the Zero Punctuation reviews of both Amnesia: The Dark Descent and more importantly Duke Nukem Forever using the youtube-dl program available through yum on Fedora (downloading the videos is far more bandwidth efficient than streaming them), and was quite entertained by both. Yahtzee gave a really nice summary of DNF's past and why it failed to be even the game that the most cynical amongst us expected:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHkvJHaZVDs

Also interesting is the fact he found Blood II: The Chosen to be relevant enough to be chosen as an example alongside SiN of a standard campy-comedic FPS from the late 1990's. I already knew Yahtzee was a fan of Blood, but it was interesting seeing Blood II's name being brought up in a modern review. :)