PC Gamer Top 100 PC Games

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

PC Gamer Top 100 PC Games

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

PC Gamer's list of the 100 Top PC Games of all time.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/02/16/the-1 ... -all-time/

This list was posted on another forum but I wanted to get opinions from the people here as well.
First, Blood and Quake are not in this list meaning it's stupid without even looking.
Here are some of my observations of games I know, alot I have never played. (Minus the cuss words I used in the other forum :D )

1. Deus Ex??? WTF????? That wouldn't even make my top 100 list.

3. Oblivion? Most overrated game of all time, Morrowind is 100 times better

4. Team Fortress 2 is wayyyyyyy too high.

8. I'm undecided on Portal's position because I only played a small part of it due to it's gayness.

13. Arma 2? I have never played or even thought to play this. Is it that good?

15. Left 4 Dead, this ranking is pretty close. There are a couple games above it that I would say are lame though.

18. Counterstrike should be ahead of Team Fortress no matter what. There would be no TF if it wasn't for Counterstrike.

20. Half Life 2, Episode 2:None of these should be in the top 1000 game lists.

22. Morrowind rated this far behind Oblivion shows that the people who made this list are brain dead.

24. Unreal Tournament should be in the top 10 at least.

38. STALKER: Call of Pripyat should be higher, but not the expansion.

40. Dragon Age - If this was a list of most boring games ever I would agree that this game should be on it.

41. Doom. I actually think it's right where it should be. Great game but people give it too much credit.

43. Medal of Honour: Allied Assault.... wayyyy too low.

55. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, should be in the top 10-15

66. Torchlight, WHO THE **** PICKED THIS? I mean, it's a good game but top 100?

78. Crysis, ARE YOU ****ING SERIOUS? IS FAR CRY ON THIS happy LIST TOO?

89. Gothic 2, should be 8 or 9, not 89.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Re: PC Gamer Top 100 PC Games

Post by Tchernobog »

I Live...AGAIN wrote:First, Blood and Quake are not in this list meaning it's stupid without even looking.
Well, of course I have to agree with you there. :wink:

Though it does have Quake III so I am fairly happy, but only at 51? :?
I Live...AGAIN wrote:1. Deus Ex??? WTF????? That wouldn't even make my top 100 list.
Never played it, but I heard it was pretty good, but I doubt it should be considered number 1. Can not really judge though.
I Live...AGAIN wrote:24. Unreal Tournament should be in the top 10 at least.
Always been more of a Quake fan, so I do not really care. UT is a good game, but not my favorite.
I Live...AGAIN wrote:41. Doom. I actually think it's right where it should be. Great game but people give it too much credit.
Well, I disagree with you there, I think it should have been higher. I guess I am one of those who gives it too much credit then though. :P
I Live...AGAIN wrote:43. Medal of Honour: Allied Assault.... wayyyy too low.
I actually do have this one, but I only got it to see how crappy the Linux beta was before EA or whatever scrapped it. Never could get it working in Wine, so I never had a chance to really play it.
I Live...AGAIN wrote:55. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, should be in the top 10-15
I could never get into the original Enemy Territory as my connection sucks and it does not have bots. I like Quake Wars, but I have heard that that is considerably different, but it has Bot support, which is a big plus in my book.

The majority of the rest I have never played or have never heard of. But only including Civilization IV may be one of the largest sins of the list. :?

As for the others on the list, well, I have played SimCity 2000. :P

Games I would have on there, in no particular order (Warning, I am a bit weird):
Blood and Blood II (of course)
Penumbra (and maybe Amnesia, have not played the full game yet)
Shogo (eh, why not?)
AoE (AoE II deserved its mention more though)
Duke3D (grew up with it, so it deserves mention)
Postal 2 (though I understand why some would not have it)
Warcraft (the original, not some MMO garbage)
Doom 3 (for teaching me about my GPU)
RTCW (one of the few WWII games worth playing)
Black and White (though they really got lazy towards the end)
Rob Blanc III (told you I was weird)
Duke Nukem II (one of the best side scrollers)
Shadow Warrior (if it is going to be a top 100 list)

That is what I can get of the top of my head. Probably going to be kicking myself for forgetting something though.

EDIT: Special mentions to Rune and Zoo Tycoon as well.
EDIT 2: Just kicked myself for not including the original Elite Force. Dooh!
EDIT 3: ZZT makes the list, one of the best games you can give a child to grow up with.
EDIT 4: Another weird one, but I quite liked Speedy Eggbert when I was growing up. Minicar racing, another eGames game, was also a fond gem of my childhood. Someone should make a free software clone of both of them.
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

It seems like a lot of comments on the page agree that it's a very bad list. In my opinion, Doom should be in the top 10 because of how groundbreaking it was at the time of release. Hell, it's still one of the best games ever after all these years. Well, the list was made by the PC Gamer editors so it's their opinions put together. I really think that a majority vote should be made by the gaming community without interference from the game companies. Not sure if anyone remembers the Greatest Game Hero voting contest done by Gamespot, but Valve alerted all Steam users by putting a notice up telling everyone that Gordon Freeman was in the final round against Mario and that's what really got his vote count raised. It just really p*** me off. :mad:
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Ransu wrote:Not sure if anyone remembers the Greatest Game Hero voting contest done by Gamespot, but Valve alerted all Steam users by putting a notice up telling everyone that Gordon Freeman was in the final round against Mario and that's what really got his vote count raised. It just really p*** me off. :mad:
Great, now I have this image of Gordon Freeman beating Mario over the head repeatedly with a crowbar. :o