Monolith Productions has been quiet for a while

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Ransu
Cheetah

Monolith Productions has been quiet for a while

Post by Ransu »

Yeah, I noticed the forums have been quiet lately so I thought I'd start a topic about something that I'm sure everyone has thought about: What could Monolith be working on right now? Usually when a game developer gives another developer the task of developing a new game in a franchise(F.3.A.R.), it means they're busy with some big project. Take Bethesda for example. They had not been doing anything since the release of Fallout 3 and they gave another developer the job of making Fallout: New Vegas. In December last year, Bethesda announced The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and they've been working on it since 2008 or 2009.

So anyways, some things seem to point at a Shogo 2 game such as Snake Fist's shirt in F.E.A.R. 2. Blood doesn't really seem to have a future anymore because of the copyright among other things. There's also the cliffhanger ending from Condemned 2: Bloodshot which could mean there's a Condemned 3 coming. I know there's like a few topics on a similar subject to this topic, but I thought a new one should be made. What could Monolith Productions be doing right now?
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Re: Monolith Productions has been quiet for a while

Post by Tchernobog »

Well, if I were them, I would be working on updating LithTech to actually be able to compete with modern engines again, especially with id Tech 5 and Unigine titles on the horizon, as well as the usual scourge of Unreal and Source engine games as well as all the others. Keep in mind, older looking graphics was one of the places F.E.A.R 2 was criticized. I have no empirical evidence to suggest that, but if you go to the Monolith website you will notice a feature discussing Monolith's in-house technologies and an interview with some of their engineers. So if I were them, that is definitely one area I would be working on.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

They just listed a bunch of new job openings so I'm sure its something. Unfortunately I think it's something lame like an Xbox game.......
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

Tchernobog wrote:Keep in mind, older looking graphics was one of the places F.E.A.R 2 was criticized.
Yes I agree. The first F.E.A.R. still looks better than the second one to me. I wish they didn't sacrifice the shadows and lighting for HDR and other effects. They were key features in the original game that really added to the atmosphere. LithTech definitely needs some work.
I Live...AGAIN wrote:They just listed a bunch of new job openings so I'm sure its something. Unfortunately I think it's something lame like an Xbox game.......
Well, Condemned 2 is exclusive to consoles despite some rumor or something about it going to be later ported to PC. I don't understand why it wasn't also developed for PC since the first game was ported to PC. So, if it's going to be a console game, then it'll most likely be Condemned 3 unless they plan on doing something else.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

The main reason i think it's an Xbox or PS3 game is because while reading the descriptions of the various job positions they have open, they all mention the PC in passing but under the job requirements they are requesting either Xbox or PS3 development experience.

Unfortunately, it looks as though anything Monolith releases for the PC will be a port of a console title which does not make me anticipate any game they are doing.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Well, Monolith has unveiled their new project to the world:
Just announced at this morning's Warner Bros. Interactive pre-E3 event, the long-rumored Gotham City Impostors is a new shooter from F.E.A.R. dev Monolith Productions. It's a multiplayer shooter set in the Batman universe. If that sounds weird ("But Batman doesn't use guns!"), then you're a step ahead of the curve.

The crux of Impostors is simple: You don't play as Batman or Joker. Instead you play as a highly customizable "imposter" on Team Bats or Team Jokers. "Posing as amateur vigilantes or villains," explains the press release, "gamers will create their very own Bats and Jokerz characters using unprecedented customization options including insane costumes, homebrewed gadgets and a wide range of traditional and imagined weapons." From there, you'll take your character into a series of gametypes and maps, which are "inspired by DC Comics' Batman license."
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/16/gotha ... imposters/

Great, a stupid multiplayer liscensed title. How anticlimatic. :roll:
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Monolith hasn't made a good decision since Blood. Their list of failures far outweighs their list of good games........
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Yeah, well, this seems to smell of Warner Brothers intervention to me, so I do not know if all the blame goes on Monolith. Not all the blame. :P

Still, after all the discussion here, they could have come up with something more than a licensed title. But, hey, what do I care. I would not be playing the damn thing anyway. :)
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

Yeah I just found out about this game recently. It seems that Warner Bros. really wants more attention towards Batman with the movies coming out and the Arkham Asylum+Arkham City games and the developer of those games was acquired by Warner Bros. last year. Well this isn't the first time that Monolith made a licensed game since they did Aliens Versus Predator 2, Tron 2.0, and The Matrix Online. We'll see how well this turns out. :)
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Ransu: Our resident Monolith cheerleader. :)
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

Well, I watched E3 all day and Gotham City Impostors was shown. The players are pretty much kids wearing Batman hero/villain costumes and they have guns to kill each other with. It looks like a big multiplayer battle first-person shooter so far. Here's the gameplay trailer that was shown at E3: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-20 ... ity/714753
Tchernobog wrote:Ransu: Our resident Monolith cheerleader. :)
:D