Another one of our DarkPlaces Brethren

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Another one of our DarkPlaces Brethren

Post by Tchernobog »

A new game utilising DarkPlaces has just gone into beta.

http://www.moddb.com/games/steel-storm
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Aww sweet - they used comic-book-style outlines like Borderlands does. Cool, thanks for posting.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

"cell shading" Slink. & yeah, it's pretty fun, looks like it has a lot of potential.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

They were hyping the game over at the Phoronix Forums and one of the developers commented how they wanted people to spread the word so they could get some more pre-orders for Episode II. It is actually in some ways more interesting as a business concept than even as an actual game, since they are going to be releasing the first Episode as fully free software and then releasing Episode Two as the commercial product. It is kind of an expansion on the original shareware concept, only even more generous.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

DustyStyx wrote:"cell shading" Slink. & yeah, it's pretty fun, looks like it has a lot of potential.
;) Not to be a know-it-all, but that is actually a little different from cell shading, though the same outlining technique is often used along with cell shading. Sometimes called "comic outlines" or similar, the "edge detection" algorithm is apparently referred to as a "Sobel filter" as seen in the Wikipedia Cell Shading article. Also, note that Borderlands does not use cell shading, or blends it well:

However, TF2 uses some form of cell shading:
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's probably "cell shading", you smart-ass! :lol:
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Re: Another one of our DarkPlaces Brethren

Post by Tchernobog »

In other news, Steel Storm Episode II has just entered Beta, which is good since the developers now have a new Engine to play with:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... &px=ODkwNQ
http://unigine.com/press-releases/101213-linux-winners/

I wonder what they are going to do with it. :)
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Steel Storm Episode II, now titled as Steel Storm: Burning Retribution, was just released today for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.

ImageImageImageImageImage
Steel Storm™: Burning Retribution is a top down action shooter with old school spirit. It marks the return of top-down shooters with new twists. The game has score oriented competitive gameplay, and is designed for people who like fast paced action, hordes of smart enemies, destructible worlds and ground shaking explosions.

The events take place in an alternative universe where you control an advanced hovertank, packed with the most advanced and sophisticated weapons. Your task is simple, but nevertheless not trivial. In the fight against extraterrestrial invaders, you must prevail!

Key features:
* + Enjoy fast paced and streamlined gameplay
* + Engage in online warfare with up to 16 players in any of the multi-player modes
* + Pave your way to victory with the burning remains of your enemies through 25 different campaign missions
* + Complete Challenges and unlock First-Person camera mode
* + Create new missions or modify existing ones using the unique real-time collaborative mission editor and share them with the world

Steel Storm™: Burning Retribution was developed by Kot-in-Action™ Creative Artel™.
http://linuxgamingnews.org/2011/05/11/s ... -released/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_Storm
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Work has now begun on a sequel, this time trying to captue the spirit of old school shooters such as Doom and Quake:
Steel Storm 2 is being built by a one man team from the ground up. The developer would appreciate it if fans of the original Steel Storm game and Linux gaming supporters would help and jump start the development of the game by pre-ordering it. The starting price of the pre-orders is $5. As the game grows, the price will go up until it reaches it's maximum, which is $20. As soon as a worthy alpha build emerges, you will get to have it. Steel Storm 2 is a must have game for the fans of the original game. Please support the game and help it rise to its full potential. Thank you, faithful fans of Kot-in-Action Creative Artel!

Some of the key features:
Fast flowing single-player and co-op FPS combat in the best traditions of Doom® and Quake® ;
Rich background storyline;
Monsters and enemies with various skills;
Gibs!
Key hunt and environmental puzzles;
Big and scary bosses;
Modding SDK.
http://www.gamingonlinux.info/index.php ... oming.644/
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Even more DarkPlaces goodness, this time in the form of a game called Retro Blazer
In the vast labyrinth of ARK Island, once elder now Tyrannical Warlord, Lokahndril, has used the island's ancient mainframe entity to create his own army of corrupt androids. R-Blazer, the only survivor of the invasion, infiltrates the labyrinth and uses his foe's own weapons against them!
Battle through the different military installations and vast ruins, all with their own unique enemies, weapons and items. Collect items to power up your abilities to make yourself stronger and more powerful, only then can you put and end to the Warlord's hunger for power!
Battle through 7 levels of fast paced classic FPS action! Fast dashing and quick trigger projectiles allow you to blast through with rapid pace, all while featuring a nostalgic graphic style in full 32 bit color. Darkplaces engine allows you to play on Mac PC or Linux, and comes pre-bundled.
http://www.retroblazer.com/
http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/01/retr ... first.html

Currently only has an alpha available, but the video does look nice. :)
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

So, anyway, I actually got around to playing my copy of Steel Storm: Burning Retribution. 8)

The game itself is quite solid; the weapon variety is well thought out, most of the levels are fairly interesting, the graphics are nice, and the game is certainly challenging enough. I spent a good chunk of last weekend blasting my way through it.

My problem with it is that, while the game as a whole is a solid well rounded old school experience, it has this habit of occasionally sticking it to you in aggravating and obnoxious ways. For instance, the level I am currently on wants me to blast through several hordes of enemies, blow up several different installations, and then make my way through this maze of destruction to the exit gate.

Which would be absolutely fine - if it did not have a bloody timer running. I was checking my map to find the location of the exit when it stuck me with the out of time message. And since, like Shadowgrounds, it does not have a proper saving system, I would have to restart the entire map from scratch again.

Still, putting aside those unpleasantries, it is definitely worth a look. Plus there is also the fact that Willis is credited with "IT Support" in the credits, which I would count as added value myself. :)
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Also, I should probably mention that the developer, Kot-in-Action Creative Artel, is going full steam ahead on their next titles, also utilizing DarkPlaces. One of these, Tome of Mephistopheles, has been recently put up for Alpha Funding:
Before being imprisoned for eternity, Mephistopheles, the Lord of Darkness, put his sinister knowledge into several tomes which were scattered across the land. Many wicked souls were corrupted by the Devil and spent their lives searching for the wretched Tomes of Mephistopheles, to gain the knowledge of their unholy power. It has been foretold that the beholder of the Tomes will possess the greatest power known to mankind and will rule the world, but will corrupt it and leave it in ruins. The secret society known as the Deputies of Uriel dispatched its most skillful members to find the Tomes and destroy them at any cost. Will you fulfill your duty or succumb to the corruption of the Dark Lord?

Tomes of Mephistopheles is a first-person action-RPG dungeon crawler. With its fast-paced fluid combat, a multitude of medieval and magical weapons, an in-depth custom spell system, and randomly generated persistent worlds, ToM is a pinnacle of the genre. Seeking the sinister Tomes, you will forge a path through the dungeons using anything that becomes available to you, while attaining skill and power along the way by exploring, questing, and crafting unique equipment and tailoring spells for yourself.
http://tom.kot-in-action.com/
http://www.gamingonlinux.info/index.php ... lable.751/
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

Tchernobog wrote:So, anyway, I actually got around to playing my copy of Steel Storm: Burning Retribution. 8)

The game itself is quite solid; the weapon variety is well thought out, most of the levels are fairly interesting, the graphics are nice, and the game is certainly challenging enough. I spent a good chunk of last weekend blasting my way through it.

My problem with it is that, while the game as a whole is a solid well rounded old school experience, it has this habit of occasionally sticking it to you in aggravating and obnoxious ways. For instance, the level I am currently on wants me to blast through several hordes of enemies, blow up several different installations, and then make my way through this maze of destruction to the exit gate.

Which would be absolutely fine - if it did not have a bloody timer running. I was checking my map to find the location of the exit when it stuck me with the out of time message. And since, like Shadowgrounds, it does not have a proper saving system, I would have to restart the entire map from scratch again.

Still, putting aside those unpleasantries, it is definitely worth a look. Plus there is also the fact that Willis is credited with "IT Support" in the credits, which I would count as added value myself. :)
Yeah, I remember encountering similar annoyances in Return to Castle Wolfenstein awhile back. The stealth missions would instantly be a failure if you were detected and on top of that, they take away all your guns besides the sten in the first one. I would much rather have to deal with increased numbers of enemies than instantly lose. That game seemed to have the original Wolf3D (a VERY hard game mind you on any difficulty beyond the first one) run-and-gun feel but those stealth missions could of been done better.