Shogo on Linux

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Oh, I've tested it briefly on other computers at work and I was impressed with it. I understand that Fedora 11 is supposed to have nVidia drivers included this time around so I'll try and run it again with that. Hopefully it wont have issues running from my secondary harddrive. I'm not going to wipe the primary with the new release.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

DustyStyx wrote:Oh, I've tested it briefly on other computers at work and I was impressed with it. I understand that Fedora 11 is supposed to have nVidia drivers included this time around so I'll try and run it again with that. Hopefully it wont have issues running from my secondary harddrive. I'm not going to wipe the primary with the new release.
I assume the Nvidia Drivers you were experimenting with on your old box were the proprietary ones from Nvidia itself? These are not the ones being included with Fedora 11 (all things included in the fedora repo have to be free software I beleave). They are including something called "Nouveau", which does look intersting:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NouveauAsDefault

Pardon my ignorance if I am misunderstanding you.

I have a few sour memories of trying to get the commercial ATI drivers working. I only needed them so I could play idtech4 engine games, but I could not get the damn things working due mostly to mistakes and bloody stupid decisions on the part of ATI. In the end I did a dirty hack as it were, although it is quite useful:
http://pigasoftware.a.wiki-site.com/ind ... ing_Doom_3

Hopefully after the idtech4 source release Doom3, like the Prey port, can use the free software drivers.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

yeah, I did the rpmfusion.org song and dance after the proprietary nVidia drivers failed and there was still no juju.