Voxelstein

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Voxelstein

Post by Slink »

Voxel
Axe Zombie

Post by Voxel »

Updated blog with 3 new images.

Also:
Oooh, scary :P
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

I wonder why they don't use smaller voxels there. I also wonder if each voxel is rendered as a 3D cube, with each side taking 2 triangles...

Mr "Voxel", do you work on that game?
Voxel
Axe Zombie

Post by Voxel »

Slink wrote:I wonder why they don't use smaller voxels there.

Most of the rooms in the first release are ~100 voxels high in the z direction.
The rooms I make now are at least ~200 voxels tall.

There are several disadvantages with high-resolution 3D raster graphics:
a) takes longer time to make
b) higher CPU usage (takes longer CPU time to blow a hole in an enemy's high-res torso due to all the extra voxels that the computer will have to remove)
c) game maps will take huge amount of HDD space, especially when every surface and interior voxel has been assigned a material property (grass/metal/fire/water/smoke/wood/etc).

I also wonder if each voxel is rendered as a 3D cube, with each side taking 2 triangles...

The voxels are not made of anything, there are no vertices in them, they are the smallest building block. A voxel is a pixel, but with an added height/z dimension. A pixel is a point in an xy plane, a voxel is a point in an xyz plane/volume.

Slink wrote:Mr "Voxel", do you work on that game?
Yes.

Also, updated blog with new image :P
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Thanks for the answers, Mr. Voxel. I understand what the voxel is a little more now, but the voxels appear to be flat-shaded cubes. I understand that they take up a cubic volume.

Anyway, there should be more efficient ways of calculating voxel placement, etc. The low-res voxels look crappy compared to what higher-res could be. I understand that when you decrease the size of a voxel dimension by half, you increase the number of voxels in that space by a factor of 8.

So, a 100*100*100 voxel volume (1,000,000 voxels total) would become 200*200*200 (8,000,000 total). That is a hell of an increase.

As you were saying, some people want to make the player twice as high, or the world twice as defined. As I explained above... it's quite an increase. :(