Redneck Rampage

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

wangho
Acolyte

Redneck Rampage

Post by wangho »

anyone here a fan? I just installed it and ..Rides Again and im really enjoying it so far. It's not as good as Blood, but I do like it better than the other Build games. Are there any good addons/maps for it?
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

the original redneck rampage is also good!! rides again was a great sequel. there was a commercial addon made for the original redneck rampage, by sunstorm interactive (remember cryptic passage and tons of duke3d addons) that was called suckin' grits on route 66. it's extremely good.

i'm a fan of rr, r66 and ra, of course, i just dig that redneck feel and everything. at first it might seem like a commercial total conversion for duke3d (same exact editart palette, lol) but actually it's a great game that is often overlooked. just look at the level design, it's amazingly good.

and the textures, oooh, tasty. don't remember any game at that time using 256x256 textures. redneck rampage forever. later xatrix did another awesome game called kingpin.

you might find the usermade addons and maps on bertram's lair - the biggest redneck rampage page.
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

yeah, I was checking Bertram's page and found some stuff, just having problem with that RRMapper map loader. I need to try and find 'Suckin' Grits.' It's weird how some of the Blood maps Ive been making have the same feel of some of the RR maps even before I played Redneck Rampage. I think it has a great atmosphere, great level design, and the game is just hilarious.
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

Yer' it'sokeey i guss
Or somesuch other hillbilly verbage, but it all get's a bit wierd and although very good looking the graphics always looked a bit off to my eye, for me the best none Blood Build game is Shadow Warrior

WHO WANTA SOME WANG!!!!!!!!!
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

shadow warrior is ok. i mean yea it's sorta clone of duke3d, and tries to be asian duke3d. i enjoyed it very much but the graphics could've been alot better. and i do mean alot.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Yes, "a lot" is definitely TWO WORDS (;)) that I would use to describe how much better SW could've looked. I think SW kicks the ass of RR, tho. :)
Metroid47
Axe Zombie

Post by Metroid47 »

I've only played the original Redneck Rampage, and I thought it was good enough yeah especially the levels "LumberLand", "Nut House", "Drive-In" & "Junkyard" they rocked! But yeah, as others said already, I preferred Shadow Warrior to it also. Great games though.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

I liked Shadow Warrior for its creative use of sectors as vehicles however I really hate the game's take on asian culture, it's greatly offensive, wang innuendo forced in your face is not funny to me at all
oBe
Cabal member

Post by oBe »

All in all, I don't get why 3D realms is so succesfull. Duke3D is so unoriginal as hell (brawny guy with sunglasses VS antropomorhic animals wtf?) and SW is basically the same in chin--, ja---, asian in general I suppose. The humour wasn't funny, the designs weren't cool and the maps weren't that special.

Redneck Rampage is a mixed bag for me. It had gorgeous textures, but lousy animations and characters. I also found the sound annoying as hell, and there seemed to be only one enviromental setting. But at least you can tell the developers had some fun designing it, and it shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Now, Blood on the other hand....
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

oBe wrote:Duke3D is so unoriginal as hell
You've got to be kidding me
oBe
Cabal member

Post by oBe »

I kid you not.

In fact, that's why I made the post, in the first place, yo.

Sure, it hadn't been done in game per se, but that's not what I meant.

- A five year old can come up with the concept of a muscleman with sunglasses, boots, a red shirt and jeans. In fact, I'm pretty sure I did that when I was five.

- Any ambitious horror director named Sam could come up with his one liners.

- Antropomorphic animals dates back from the middle ages, if that's too far back for ya; Disney, TMNT; etc.

I suppose you could say that about every game from that time, but the difference with say; for example Blood, is that everything is alot more stylised. Everything feels so rotten, you could practically smell it. The characters all have an individual face and voice, and the enviroments have a certain mood in the air.

But maybe that's just me.

Protagonists with sunglasses are original.

LOL
Last edited by oBe on Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

oBe wrote:Protagonists with sunglasses are original.

LOL
perhaps you totally missed the point of the character Duke Nukem.
ghoste-unlogged

Post by ghoste-unlogged »

at that point doom is unoriginal as well. alien-killing isnt it too primitive since its been described/mentioned in dozens of book/movies and other media? nam was hell original (1st to introduce cooperative team play between bots and player later used in quake4,doom etc.) but never was successful because of bad implementation of those ideas.
perhaps you totally missed the point of the character Duke Nukem.
i wonder what point he might have apart from being sunglassed protagonist...
protecting humans from alien invasion? huh thats just ugly..
mouth
Acolyte

Post by mouth »

I'll have to defend Duke in this matter.
Fist of all, let's face it, without Duke, there would be no Blood, SW, RR and other build games worth mentioning the way we know them today.
Duke is a character that existed back from the 1990. It's the third sequel. It's hardly a surprise they kept the same protagonist now is it?
Duke's originality doesn't come from its characters or plot, that's hardly the point. Duke's level design was absolutely above any other typical fps. Duke was also the very first fps that introduced weapons that weren't completely centered but a bit leaned to the right. I dunno about you hot shots, but when I first played Duke I couldn't aim that well. I was what, 11? Yeah, 11. It seemed like a very cool thing to me back then. And guess what, every other fps followed it. And by every I mean every f*** fps today. Duke offered this awesome gripping violent nature mixed with tons of tings we nowadays take for granted. Only a person that never played Duke before all other build games arrived could bash Duke3D. I do not believe you played Duke before any other build game if you bash it, sorry I just can't accept it. Every build fan has some respect for the father of all build games. Every. Can't buy it, sorry.

edit: Oh yeah, thank Todd Replogle for the fact that Duke was the character they used in that shooter, he's the creator/programmer of Duke and also the main programmer for Duke3d.
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

Yeah I have to admit even though now i just can't get on with it's weird graphics Duke will
always been respected, it was a brilliant game with some amazing additions to the genre
and great Coop ability,

As for it's content and the content of SW i'm not sure the point was good taste
or even any taste :lol: Duke and Wang are ridiculous clichés of character types
from certain themes, The all American Dumb ox hit by a 2x4 Hero (no offence to Americans it's just the best description)
completely chauvinist, violent, imperialist and preferably gruff,
but the good thing was it was always totally tongue in cheek same with Wang
they just packed in all the really bad and tasteless jokes to make it all the better.

So while i can see why someone COULD be offended i don't think it's right
it's just an extremely blown up cliché'

As for Quake and infact a lot of Id's stuff they really don't seem to deal with stories
that much at least in build games you get a good tale and a real tangible hero
where as i think pretty much the whole Id world is just one big ass marine corp, i'm not so much complaining about it but it hardly speaks of originality