Killing Time: The Second Topic

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Well, for a Quake Engine based game Half-Life was damn good. Based on an earlier engine, and it looked as good and played better than most Quake 2 engine games.

IMO, Half-Life is a great game... until you get to Xen... then it sucks.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

Slink wrote:The game opened some rather unused ideas, such as the low gravity environments in Xen, the long jump, the duck jump. .
Scourge of Armagon had low gravity areas in early 97.

No one can duck jump in real life.
Ra_Ra_Gazaa
Resident Phantasm

Post by Ra_Ra_Gazaa »

Uh oh, it looks like I've inadvertandly trolled this thread. Let's get back on topic.

Killing Time has clowns in it. That's a good thing, no?

:phantasm:
Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

leileilol wrote:No one can duck jump in real life.
Uhm, yes you can. Except if you don't know what Slink was on about anyway.

I am amused at the energy being invested into the idea of making people remember this old classic. Kindof makes me wonder if this game is better than BLOOD in anyway to deserve this kind of attention.

Personally, I don't think I will ever play it. By the looks of it, there are far better games to waste my life on.
kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

Dimebog wrote: Personally, I don't think I will ever play it. By the looks of it, there are far better games to waste my life on.
Well, that would be your loss.

I admit this game is far from perfect, especially when compared to more modern games. But for pure fun, this game continues to be quite entertaining and enjoyable.

The story is interesting and told through many fmv sequences, while the music continues to be memorable and enjoyable on it's own. There's also plenty of interesting enemies. My personal favourite would have to be the crazy chef's that throw knives at you while ordering you to "come here". Kind of reminds me of the Bloated Butchers from Blood.

And as Ra_Ra_Gazaa pointed out, it has clowns in it. How can you not like a game with crazy killer clowns? :)

With the passing of time this game has become increasingly rare and difficult to find, and I didn't want it to become completely forgotten, which is why I brought up the subject. But even after all this time, this old imperfect game will continue to remain one of my personal favourites, and hopefully other's might re-discover it and be able to enjoy it as much as I have.
Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

I don't find any of that amusing. I don't see how old games fail compared to more modern games. But what I was really amazed at, is the fact that I couldn't find a thread (or two threads), where people would constantly bump in order to praise BLOOD, for example. This community is really starting to dissapoint me.

So let everyone forget about BLOOD, but make sure noone forgets Killing Time because it has really strong sentimental value to you. What about games such as Tekwar and Rise Of The Triad? What kind of impression will that give to a person googleing around and comming across this board. Have you ever seen the 3DR boards?

No it's not my loss if I don't play a DOOM clone with custom graphics and surreal level design that makes me want to vommit. I don't do things because other people say I should, or value Half Life, Baldurs Gate, Blood 2 and whatnot only because others do. Life is too short but good games are fewer than that. If BLOOD is a better game that I don't see why should I resort to something that will not necessarily mean better quality of the time i spend rotting.

Bottom line: you may think this is offtopic but I think this entire thread is offtopic.
kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

My God Dimebog. Lighten up.

Nobody's saying to forget about Blood, or force you into playing some game that you don't want to play. Are we not allowed to talk about anything but Blood on this forum?

I happen to like and enjoy this old game and it seems that others do as well. You've decided that you hate this game without ever playing it, and that's your choice.

Maybe someone else might read this thread and discover and enjoy an old classic that they never even knew existed. But because you've decided that you don't like this game then I suppose we just shouldn't talk about it.

If you really want to talk about and praise Blood, then go off and start your own thread.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

leileilol wrote:Scourge of Armagon had low gravity areas in early 97.
Cool. WTF is that? (I'll look). Ah, Quake. Never played much back in the day.
leileilol wrote:No one can duck jump in real life.
Have you ever run track? Jumped a hurtle? Ever tried "parkour" (free running)? You should watch some Jackie Chan movies.
-Slink :P
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

I don't see a problem with having a thread about Killing Time in these forums. It is in the General Gaming section after all, where people are free to talk about all sorts of games. Whether an old (or new) game is good enough to be praised and played is up to the individual - I happen to like the movie Event Horizon even if the rest of the world doesn't (on the other hand, anyone who likes The Core should be shot :veryangry: ). I probably won't get around to playing Killing Time, or a bunch of other old classics I'd like to try. Such is life.

In a few months time if people are still talking about it passionately then maybe they could go find or form some kind of forum or fan group to continue with that; not because we don't want them here, but because in the end this forum is about Blood and Transfusion. Why does a single thread about Blood need to be bumped up when there is a whole forum here, and a whole site over at Postmortem?

Oh, and has anybody seen a person run around with 10 weapons, including at least one form of rocket launcher, in real life? My bedroom window is rather small and looks out onto a quiet street, so....
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

I hear that when you die, on the other side, there are a bunch of arcade games waiting for you. I'll see my spirit horse.
Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

Kazashi wrote:It is in the General Gaming section after all, where people are free to talk about all sorts of games.
I don't mind their actions, I mind the people. Is TF now a place where people who played BLOOD once in their lives (or worse), come and open series of threads that have nothing to do with the main site thread. This is not a General Gaming forum. It would be same as registering to a forum only and exclusively to post in the forum's "Offtopic" thread.

I think I can justify Monolith not releasing the source, because this rotten community doesn't deserve it.
kurt wrote:If you really want to talk about and praise Blood, then go off and start your own thread.
I doubt anyone would be interested. As Kazashi said, there is a "whole site over at Postmortem".
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Alas, therein lies the point. There is a general gaming forum for this reason exactly. I promise that you will find a whole lotta love toward Blood, strewn about the site mercilessly. You should spend a few precious hours doing a quantitative comparison between how many posts praise Blood, and how many praise Killing Time. MAYBE you could get more for other games, but Blood will outnumber any other single game discussed on this forum...As it should be. Gah, what are you worried about anyway? GENERAL GAMING.

Now, I could see getting edgy if this were in another forum, such as the General Blood forum. Then it would just be moved.

Where was I? Ah, this game seems like Heretic in the sense that I would only play it for a while until I grew incredibly bored with its [fill this blank].

-Slink
kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

Dimebog wrote: I mind the people. Is TF now a place where people who played BLOOD once in their lives (or worse), come and open series of threads that have nothing to do with the main site thread.

I don't know exactly what's got you so p issed off Dimebog. But because I started the original post for this game, I assume that you're talking about me. It is after all in the general gaming section, and I thought others might be interested in this game.

As for Blood, I first played it back in 1997, and have played it many more times since then. I also probably have one the largest collections of SP Blood maps that currently exists, and it took me years to collect them all. I then gathered up over 400 of them and uploaded them to this forum so that people like you could enjoy them.

I also spent half a year of my life trying to improve Blood 2, and posting the results to this forum. There's over a dozen pages on that particuliar topic alone. I invested that time, and I still am investing the time, in trying to create a Blood sequel so that people like you might have something to enjoy.

So what exactly have you brought to this community other then your anger?

There's hundreds of posts on the subject of Blood on this forum, if you'd bother to look around. Or feel free to start one of your own. But please forgive me for ever mentioning a game that you personally don't like.

Now that you've got me p issed off as well, I think it'll probably be awhile before I feel like posting again. So thanks Dimebog for all of your contributions to "this rotten community". I'm sure you'll definately make this a better place to be.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

it's because every new 'blood fan' will find and kiss up to the old games no matter how bad they really are to 'fit' in. In this case, a mediocre FPS with a cliche horror theme and an overall corny production value is getting praised much. Kinda like Nightmare 3D.
Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

Well, kurt, sorry to hurt your feelings, but no, I didn't have you in mind or anyone in particular for that matter. I don't remember questioning "what you have brought" to the community. I mean, really... kudos for your map collection and half a year of a life spent trying to create a BLOOD sequel.

Not that it has anything to do with the subject, but for some reason you felt an urge to brag about your "contributions", and I will not reveal any details about my current projects because doing something that matters and bringing it to an end is called results, while constantly talking about it on a forum is called masturbation, but what I will have brought to this community will quite suprisingly not be a collection of maps or an attempt to enhance BLOOD 2.

I apoligize to everyone because now you will suffer from the fact that kurt is really shaken and he will not be able to contribute to this board with his posts about Killing Time.