Killing Time

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

kurt
master of the universe

Killing Time

Post by kurt »

Anyone here remember the old classic game Killing Time?

I was going through all of my old cd's and rediscovered this Doom clone from 1996 and I'd forgotten how much fun this game was. It was an underappreciated horror themed FPS that much like Blood never received large scale popularity. It featured an interesting story and some of the most amusing enemies that I've ever seen in a game.

There were an assortment of zombies such as gangsters, hunters, maids, clowns, and zombie chefs that would hurl butcher knives at you while ordering you to "come here". The weapons included dual pistols, shotgun, a Thomspson machine gun, molotov cocktails and a flamethrower.

I haven't played this game in over a decade, and replaying it now, I'm amazed at how enjoyable such an old game can still be after all these years. For me this game will continue to be a classic favorite of mine, along with the original Blood and System Shock.

Its a shame about the graphics though, and I'd really love to see this game remade some day with better graphics. Maybe whenever I get around to completing the Blood 2 project I'll look into that. But for the moment I'll be busy with killing time.

Lizzy
Is she coming or going?

Post by Lizzy »

Now this is a game i've certainly not played for a few years, it's also one of the few games i've never completed. I can't remember what i did with this game, an old friend of mine once had it, he decided he'll lend it to me because i was curious to what the game actually was, though after so many months he said i could keep it, he basically didn't have time for it anymore though i had all the time in the world. First time i played it i was addicted, i can't really explain how it got me hocked, it's just something about it. Gah, if only i could remember what i've actually done with it, it'll be nice to be able to play it once more, and finish it also.

I couldn't help but laugh at the enemies on the screenshots, brings back the memories :)
mouth
Acolyte

Post by mouth »

Actually, Blood's sales were surprisingly good.
Killing Time's on the other hand, weren't. It's okay I guess, but nothing to write home about.
kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

I find this game strangely addictive as well, Lizzy.

Since this game is now considered abandonware you could download the full game

Edit: sorry folks, but we can't allow abandonware links on the forum. You'll have to do your own research into finding the game.

But at only 25MB I have to wonder how much of it is actually missing.
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Ahhh... the old memories flood back. This game was a classic to me, I had a blast playing this game.

Thanks for reminding me about it... must go dig through closet and find it... then setup DOSBox and play it. :p
Lizzy
Is she coming or going?

Post by Lizzy »

Ah, awesome i can download it, thanks for the links kurt, though its got me thinking, due to the tiny 25MB size, is that its actual size, or was there indeed a lot more to it...
Damien_Azreal wrote:must go dig through closet and find it... then setup DOSBox and play it.
Doesn't it run on Windows? At least i think it does.

I can slightly remember one bit in the game where there’s a little girl standing in the entrance of the mansion? but the problem i can remember having is that she kept reappearing when she wasn't meant to, as if she was on a continuous loop though the timing was different.
kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

Lizzy, I have no idea what those tiny downloads might actually contain. The cd itself is over 400MB. I could compress those files with 7zip though and upload the full game if you want.

Your also correct that it does run on Windows so there's no need for a DOS emulator.
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

How well does it run in WinXP for you? I just dug out my old disc and it won't play past the title screen.
kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

Hmm, that's strange. Works ok for me, although the graphics do look highly pixellated for some reason. :wink:
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

Lizzy wrote:I can slightly remember one bit in the game where there’s a little girl standing in the entrance of the mansion? but the problem i can remember having is that she kept reappearing when she wasn't meant to, as if she was on a continuous loop though the timing was different.
THEN YOU DIDN'T PAY FOR AN ORIGINAL COPY OF THE GAME, PIRATE.

The warez version strips out all those little mini-movies that play in levels and recopies the same little girl video over the rest completely killing the plot and clues for the sake of tiny size and compatibility.

Also the original 3DO version is way better.
Phosphoric Acid
Quixotic

Post by Phosphoric Acid »

leileilol wrote:THEN YOU DIDN'T PAY FOR AN ORIGINAL COPY OF THE GAME, PIRATE.

The warez version strips out all those little mini-movies that play in levels and recopies the same little girl video over the rest completely killing the plot and clues for the sake of tiny size and compatibility.

Also the original 3DO version is way better.
I think you'll find that the game got given to Lizzy, she never downloaded it herself. Lizzy's friend Ryan is a bastard who distributes and freely gives illegal software without notifying.

EDIT: kurt i've sent you a PM.
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

This game looks cool! I'm thinking about buying it. Does it work with XP?
Phosphoric Acid
Quixotic

Post by Phosphoric Acid »

DOOMLancelot wrote:Does it work with XP?
It's different for everyone, I'm capable of running it for so long until it randomly crashes, or locks up, the problems I’ve had are cashing after the intro movie finishes, freezing during name entry and crashing during game play (happened to me twice in random areas).
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

I've had it crash after the intro movie plays, better just to try and skip the movie and go right to the menu.

Other than that I haven't had any lockups or crashes... but some of the cutscenes don't play. A few do... some don't. It's odd.

The only thin I don't like about the game is the mouse movement. Works fine as long as you don't try to circle strafe around enemies. If I'm strafing left with me keyboard and trying to turn with the mouse... one usually cancels the other out. So I only strafe... or I only turn.
kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

I haven't experienced a single lockup or crash yet fortunately.

Those cutscenes do play after you press the space bar whenever you see a ghost. But if you move away the cutscenes will stop.

Also the movement does take a bit of getting used to, but I agree that its far from perfect.

Otherwise I'm still enjoying exploring the huge environments in this old classic.