Killing Time

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

The game crashes after every ghost... no matter what. Kindof annoying.
kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

Sorry to hear that you're having problems with the game D_A. That really sucks.

The only suggestion that I can think of is to try playing around with the compatability settings. Otherwise I have no idea what would be causing the game to crash.

For some reason the game works well for me, running in Windows 98 compatability mode.
kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

I also have another pretty good suggestion for anyone that has ever had trouble running old software in XP. It's so simple that most people just ignore my advice.

Everyone should have a dual boot system with Windows 98 on the second drive. Hard drives are reasonably inexpensive and there would never be a need to use any kind of emulators or compatability modes. Whenever I have a problem running old software, I can always rely on Windows 98 to get it working well.

But feel free to ignore my simple advice. Most people do.
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

It may be my CPU that's giving me issues. Dual Core CPUs have caused a lot problems with other games, may be the reason here.

I'll try different compatibility modes and mess around with setting the games affinity to 1 CPU.
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

Thanks to kurt for uploading the game for me! :D It's working just fine so far.
Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

Damien_Azreal wrote:It may be my CPU that's giving me issues. Dual Core CPUs have caused a lot problems with other games, may be the reason here.

I'll try different compatibility modes and mess around with setting the games affinity to 1 CPU.
Either do what kurt told you, or install DosBOX. If you have a DualCore, you will have no troubles runing anything in DosBOX.

Win98 never did me justice with old games but it seems to work for other people so you might give that a shot.
Phosphoric Acid
Quixotic

Post by Phosphoric Acid »

Damien_Azreal wrote:The game crashes after every ghost... no matter what. Kindof annoying.
I feel your pain; I have to avoid each ghost or try not to stand around one for too long, for instance once when I was attacking multiple enemies I was unfortunately standing right next to one of those ghosts and suddenly "KillTime.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Bloody butler.....
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

Dimebog wrote:Either do what kurt told you, or install DosBOX.
DOSbox does not run Win32 games.
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Dimebog wrote:

Either do what kurt told you, or install DosBOX. If you have a DualCore, you will have no troubles runing anything in DosBOX.
As leileilol said DOSBox won't run a game developed for Win95/98... as it has no Dos version.
And DOSBox runs great for me, and it runs better the more powerful your CPU is. I run Blood at 1024*768 in DOSBox with silky smooth frames.
Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

Hm I used to have a WAD file called Killing Time that worked in the reagular Dos version of DOOM. That must have been something else then.
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

I remember that I could play Strife with the zDoom port... does anyone think that Killing Time would work with zDoom as well?
Phosphoric Acid
Quixotic

As a TC yes, on its own, no.
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

Phosphoric Acid wrote:As a TC yes, on its own, no.

All of them except the PAL stuff just comes out as code. I don't really see how anything could be ripped. Unless some special program other than XWE were used.

EDIT: Currently using Dragon UnPACKer 5. I'll see what I get out of it.
Phosphoric Acid
Quixotic

DOOMLancelot wrote:I don't really see how anything could be ripped. Unless some special program other than XWE were used.
It’s quite simple actually, you're able to go by the simple 'screen capture, edit image, cut n' paste, import' method, you could do that for enemies, textures objects blah blah.
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

Yeah I know it can be done like that but I'm just trying to see if there's an easier way to do it.

EDIT: Dragon UnPACKer 5 just found some random wav files. They sounded like voice audio from the final boss of the game.