My new PC...

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

My new PC...

Post by Damien_Azreal »

I know this would probably be better placed in the general chat forum. But since i use my PC for gaming only... this seems more appropriate.

Okay, I've finally got around to building a new PC and I'm two parts away from finishing it. I have to wait on the graphics card and a copy of Windows XP to arrive.
Should arrive next week. :D
But I'm all sorts of excited about it and I feel like telling you guys about it.

I'm going from my current rig....

P4 3.0ghz Hyperthreading 800mhz FBS
2gb PC-4200 DDR2 533mhz
ATi Radeon 128mb x800 GT
Creative SB Audigy 2

And I'm upgrading to this...

Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811156060
Motherboard - nForce 680i (don't remember specifics)
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+
RAM - 2048MB DDR2-800 PC6400 Corsair
HD - 250 GB HARD DRIVE
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce 7950GT 512MB
Sound - Creative SB Audigy 4

Keyboard - Saitek Eclipse II
mouse - Logitech MX518
Speakers - Logitech THX Z-5300e 5.1

I'm all sorts of happy and can't wait to get everything together and fire it up. Now, I was originally going to get a Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 (2.4ghz) CPU. But the price was a bit much, and the shop I bought from offered me a deal on the cpu.
Graphics card wise was pretty similar, they offered me a deal on the 7950 (knocked down the price and threw in a copy of Rainbow Six: Vegas). I originally wanted a 8800, but they didn't have any in stock and since we live in the middle of nowhere... it take a long time to get hardware out here.
They offered to sell me a 8800 once they get one for trade in on my 7950. :) It could be a couple months or more before they get any... but the 7950 should be enough for now.
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

Sounds nice!
Caleb_2k
Acolyte

Post by Caleb_2k »

real good stuff there, but since you took an AMD CPU you shold have taken a ATi gfx card for better preformance between cpu and gpu, specially with the new drivers ^_^

not a must but a recommendation =)
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

AMD works great with Nvidia, and has for years. I've been running an ATi card for the past four years (x800) and I'm done with them.

Poor drivers, sub-par performance and overall crappy customer support. ATi recently teamed up with AMD mostly for Windows Vista, but before then AMD was already running great with Nvidia based cards.
Shagg E
Axe Zombie

Post by Shagg E »

Gasp! Even the rig your upgrading FROM kicks the hell out of mine and steals it's lunch money!

Other than that, looks great, glad to see your going with AMD/NVidia, I'm shocked to see how many people still go with Intel.
Caleb_2k
Acolyte

Post by Caleb_2k »

Damien_Azreal wrote:AMD works great with Nvidia, and has for years. I've been running an ATi card for the past four years (x800) and I'm done with them.

Poor drivers, sub-par performance and overall crappy customer support. ATi recently teamed up with AMD mostly for Windows Vista, but before then AMD was already running great with Nvidia based cards.
i can understand your frustration, i used a really old one like ATi 9600XT 256 MB up until the first weeks in january as to where i changed to the X1650Pro 512 SM 3,0

i always ran the tweaked ATi Drivers from NHQ untill the new release of the AMD corp drivers for ATI. Those were the best thing i ever laid my hands on and i have never been happier to use the CCC cause it always killed my PC wth the old CCC.

and my old card could still play Oblivion, Need For Speed Carbon and Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter at a pretty decent framerate....

but then Shadermodel 3.0 came along on Rainbow Six: Vegas and i had to upgrade. So now i can keep on kicking untill my CPU dies or i get the cash i need to change MOBO, CPU and GFX.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

ugh i hate ati cards because they bring more gameplay hampering control lag problems than ever even in software mode and emulators
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Shagg E wrote:Gasp! Even the rig your upgrading FROM kicks the hell out of mine and steals it's lunch money!

Other than that, looks great, glad to see your going with AMD/NVidia, I'm shocked to see how many people still go with Intel.
Pain VERY much felt.

ATi 4 lyf. D:<
Caleb_2k
Acolyte

Post by Caleb_2k »

i have never owned an Nvidia card and will prolly never do (unless i really build my mega PC that will go on 7k USD
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

$7000 computers make me happy. I've never touched one, of course, but I want to be able to actually run all my games without being 40fps below "smooth." :(

Although, of course, I don't need DX10 to do that... yet...

Serious random question here since I mentioned fps, does anyone know if City of Heroes is SUPPOSED to run at 20fps? Even the computer over here that runs it smoothest, and it does look very smooth, gives only 20fps.
Shagg E
Axe Zombie

Post by Shagg E »

I haven't played it myself, but a similar effect can be seen in Painkiller, where it runs in slow-mo on older machines instead of jerking around like most games. I'd assume it's the same thing with COH, unless they really did cap it at 20fps.
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Painkiller manages to pull off the slowmo effect by accident. The black terott cards that allow you to slow time, the effect they used to do this was to simple lower the frame rate a bit.

But, by accident, the game simply picked this code up (sort of) and when ever frame rates drop to low the game seems to enter a bullet time effect.
Shagg E
Axe Zombie

Post by Shagg E »

Interesting bit of trivia, I never knew that.

The "code leak" turned out to be a great accident, as those of us with less-powerful machines can still enjoy it. (Although the game becomes insanely easy at that speed)
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

serious sam used to be like that in the betas
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Well, just got a phone call. Since I ordered most of the hardware for my PC from the same store... it hasn't shipped yet.

The store is back ordered on copies of Windows XP, seems to be a rush on XP now that Vista is out and bigger stores have already pulled XP of shelves.

They told me not to worry and I will have a copy of WinXP (personally... f*ck vista) but the order was supposed to ship Monday and I should've had it by now.
They said it should ship late today or tomorrow.