Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

DustyStyx
2D Artist

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

Post by DustyStyx »

Well, I just finished the game. Technical issues aside I really enjoyed it, I've not had as much fun with a game since playing Undying.

It had some frustrating parts however, I really wish I could have beat it without using an "unofficial" game patch. Apperently the PC version of the game never crossed paths with a compitant quality control agent. Talk about buggy!
mouth
Acolyte

Post by mouth »

The last chase scene got you too eh man? :)
Yeah I couldn't solve that part without the patch either. But that was the only bug I encountered luckily. But that varies from one machine to another... I really enojoyed it too, one of the best games I've played in last 3 years.
Harry
Cultist

Post by Harry »

I'm playing it now. Where can I get this patch?
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

Here you go: http://sucklead.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/DCoTEPatch.exe
It patches the cocmainwin32.exe. It can add the debug menu (which allows noclip) and it also can add the hands in for opening doors.
I'm playing through Call of Cthulhu myself, its one of the best new games out there. Too bad its so buggy.
Harry
Cultist

Post by Harry »

This game rocks but that patch .exe is not running for me. I get some Application error (App failed to initialize)

Post by Guest »

Sounds like you don't have .NET 1.1 installed.
Harry
Cultist

Post by Harry »

Its too bad that this game only covers a small and perhaps even disconnected, part of the Cthulu mythology. It seemed to have a proper story at the beginning but gradually fades into a larger and vaguer picture. If they had actually carried on with those parts about blasphemy, religious conflicts and included the higher elements of the Lovecraft/Cthulu writings, and included the role of humans in this supposedly intergalactic war (not mentioned in the game), it could have been really scary, much better and deeper.

I have'nt played the CoC RPG and am perhaps missing a lot of things. I wonder if they'll eventually do something crazy like connect it with Quake (Shub-Niggurath)? :shrug:
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

I think they did alright for what they set out to do, being to tell the story from the prospective of a single guy. It's not like he was going to unlock the mysteries of the universe over a single week or so of investigating. It's a good lead-in for the Cthulhu mythos.

But yeah, it could have been a lot more scary. Call me a hardened gamer, but there wasn't much there that I think would have driven ME insane. I guess that's why I like the angle Howard takes on the mythos. If it's got the nerve to take a tangible form, buy God, I'm gonna put a bullet through it!
Harry
Cultist

Post by Harry »

Even if the world in those mythos are a bit disturbing, it did'nt scare me but it did invoke my curiosity and drew me into the mythos which seems to have been its intention. But the ending was bull-s***. (but still better than in most games and you kinda knew what to expect after the intro)

They never explained the happenings in the Asylum such as the guy in the wheelchair etc

They never explained Ramona's Ghost (was it just guilt?)

Finally, is there really any significance of the Order of Dagon and the Deep ones in light of the larger war between the Yith and the Polyps?

This game is designed for hardened gamers and some puzzles are vague and annoying compared to say, the fun and more obvious puzzles in Prey. It would have taken me quite a while to figure out how to release all the water pumps in the final level if I did'nt refer to the walkthrough. Noobs are really going to be annoyed at this game, I imagine. And the numerous bugs don't help either.

But overall, I give it a 9/10.
mouth
Acolyte

Post by mouth »

I myself liked every single puzzle in CoC more than puzzles in Prey. In fact, none of the puzzles in Prey were interesting at all to me. Oh well, tastes differ. :shrug: ;)
Harry
Cultist

Post by Harry »

Well, the puzzles in Prey were not logical per se - they were mostly just complicated situations which forced you to use additional features of the game such as the spirit walk. But it was still fun to keep flipping gravity.
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

I just finished it and I really enjoyed the game, but I didn't get allot of it.
who was that cult you met in the beginning? More of the Order?
And what was up with all of those visions Jack had of stuff that was happening but Jack couldn't have seen it?
Who was that alien you talk to at the end of the game, Cthuhlu?
In the beginning of the game when you where at the Asylum I though you attempted to commit suicide. And that the attempt was made during the period of Jack's life he can't remember. But from the end it seems I was wrong and the suicide happens after you return to the Asylum. So what were you doing during those 6 years?

I didn't really like it that after you find out about all this stuff about other worlds you go insane and kill yourself. If you where that unstable I would have thought you would have gone insane allot earlier. I mean I probably would have gone insane when a huge green sea monster climbed onto my ship; and not after having an alien calmly talk to me about other worlds.