Blow it out your.....

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Blow it out your.....

Post by RedFanatic »

Has anyone played both the recent Duke games (well sort of recent)
i have always wonderd about what both Manhatten project and Duke nukem forever were like? worth a few quid or junk?
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

I played the Manhatin Project demo and thought it was kinda fun. I never did get around to buying the game tho.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Dude, Duke Nukem forever isn't out yet. That game has taken longer than Half-Life. I think 3Drealms have been focused on Prey recently... I suppose that is mere speculation on my part. ;)
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

ohhh right i thought it had been out for ages, cool it should be pretty good
if it's that modern
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Slink wrote:Dude, Duke Nukem forever isn't out yet. That game has taken longer than Half-Life. I think 3Drealms have been focused on Prey recently... I suppose that is mere speculation on my part. ;)
Human Head studios developed PREY. The version of PREY that 3DRealms did was in 1997 and was stopped. Accourding to Joe they don't even have any of that stuff around anymore.
HH began work on PREY in late 2001, with the game being overseen by Scott (3DR) with the only real stipulation being that HH keep the portal's and native american heritage going.
Scott is currently helping HH with PREY 2. :)

DNF was originally started in late 1997, with an engine change in late 1998 the game started to push forward. A awesome E3 2001 trailer showed what the game looked like in 01.
Early 2002 3DRealms threw everything out and starteed from scratch. Accourding to George they had to many false starts (not enough people). They've been working on DNF since 2002 steadily and making great progress.
The tech for the game is finished, all rendering and graphical features are in and finished since late 2004. They've been building content for the game since.
The game is getting very close to alpha stage at this moment with almost all levels, monsters and weapons complete. It's pre-alpha right now.

The game will feature pretty much all graphical featuers in modern shooters including Full Body Awareness. :D And while many peopel believed 2006 would be the year the game would start to be shown, most fans look to 2007 for actual screens and such to be let out.
DNF has been shown to CGW and PC Gamer magazines, both were very impressed with what they were shown.
And a few close friends have been shown screens of the game.

Patience my friends, DNF is closer than everybody thinks.

*mod edit*
I know they spend a long time working on games, but I don't think they actually started in 1007, changed to 1997 8)
*/mod edit*
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

hurray! thanks damien
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Thanks for editing my post. :D I didn't even notice that i had f*cked up 1997.

:)
Ra_Ra_Gazaa
Resident Phantasm

Post by Ra_Ra_Gazaa »

Hm, the only recent Duke Nukem game I've got is Land of the Babes for the playstation 1.

Land of the Babes *shakes head* It sounds as corny as cotten candy hell but the multiplayer option was actually quite good. It was in "true 3d" as well, but the single player game never really grabbed me like the PC DN3D did.

Probably worth another look though... haven't done so for a wee while. Hm.

:phantasm:
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Manhattan Project is really fun. I've got it and have beaten it several times.
It goes back to the old days of Duke Nukem and DN2, side scroller fun. But it true 3D, the enemies and weapons all seem familiar and fun becuase of DN3D.
It's got a good length and difficulty, plus enough secrets and little sudtle humor to give it lasting power.

Funny, the original conecption was that Duke Nukem 4 would a FPS, and DNF would be a side scroller built on the Build Engine. Odd how things turn out huh.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

I'd say Manhattan Project was cool, and it was pretty fun, but I could never get through it. For some reason one of the levels just wouldn't work right for me or something. I'd say try it if you liked DN 1 or 2 though. :)
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

i loved duke manhattan project, completed it couple of times. good game.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Mysterious Mod wrote:*mod edit*
I know they spend a long time working on games, but I don't think they actually started in 1007, changed to 1997
*/mod edit*
Error in judgement; that was no typo! :P
Harry
Cultist

Post by Harry »

I'm somewhat convinced that HL-2 ripped off the Hydrofoil (Boat ride) idea from DNF. It was shown in the E3 trailer. 3DR get ripped off a lot (Q2's railgun from SW, operable vehciles and turrets etc etc) but DNF still better be the best game ever made! :reallymad:
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

hell, even that s*** dark messiah game rips 3dr alot with it's own mighty foot.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Heh, I guess that was just optimistic speculation to the benefit of 3DR's standing. Oh well. Quality takes time. Thanks for the good info, Damien.
-Slink