Blow it out your.....

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

For the record, PS3's controller is NOT the boomerang. That was an old design, from something like a year ago. It's basically a dual shock with motion capabilities now (hooray for ripping off Wii -_-).
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

And thus, I'm still not impressed.

*Goes to buy the Wii instead*
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

* This post was in no way influenced by G4's Wii girl.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

AHahahaha jackasses. That was actually funny.
"I'm cheap, AND fun!"

EDIT: Playstation controllers are phucking aweful. Who is the jackass who designed the angle of the handles to the base of the controller? SLAP YOURSELF, JERK! YOU ARE MAKING GAMING UNCOMFORTABLE.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Better than the Dreamcast... 0_o
mouth
Acolyte

Post by mouth »

I'm very sceptical about the Wii controller.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

I am also quite skeptical about Wii's controller. I think it could have some potential, but I think that these multiple-axiz, pultiplanar motion sensitive controllers are going to take some adjustment, both by gamers and developers of games (and their consoles). It is an interesting concept, but it seems like they're going out on a limb, you know?
-Slink
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

Well let's face it, for the FPS world controllers on consoles are getting very tiring for me. Yeah, I still play 'em - or what's currently in my library anyway. But in the long run, it can only work for so long.

Yeah, it may take some adjusting overall, but hell, look where gaming can possibly go altogether...

I'm in!
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

I'm also suspicious of the Wii controllers. They sound like they would work great for a fishing game or something but a FPS? or even worse a game like Tony Hawk were you are trying to do specific moves.

Changing something just for the sake of change is always a bad idea. Old-good will always be better than new-stupid.

when ever I read Wii my brain always thinks WWII...
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

hehe me too boss429 i keep thinking ahh the big eh? why are they talking about that lol :)
Krypto
Cultist

Post by Krypto »

For anyone who's interested, Duke Nukem Speedruns of Episodes 1-4 8)

Episode 1: L.A Meltdown
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?doc ... 1+speedrun

Episode 2: Lunar Apocalypse

Episode 3: Shrapnel City

Episode 4: The Birth
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

I was almost pooping myself until I realized the difficulty setting that was being used, and the fact that these were not all consecutive runs. Still pretty cool though.
-Slink
Caleb_2k
Acolyte

Post by Caleb_2k »

i found a high resolution pack on a torrent site. i DL'ed it and it MUST be installed on the regular D3D, atleast i did'nt get it to work on my atomic ed but i might be missing some files because i torrented the Atomic ed...

it looks awesome on D3D and make it fully playable in win XP with sound and all, even Open GL =) so i guess it is a bit of files taken from the atomic ed to make that part work but i love this addon, the best addon ever =D
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

Ok guys, I've seen -on previews on a Gameshop TV anyway- what the wii is capable of. The control is fukking mind blowing! You can literally play sports as if you were actually playing them. Tennis? You swing the remote like a tennis racket. Bowling? You under-arm it like you're throwing a bowling ball. It's amazing! And then imagine how much easier playing an FPS would be with this controller over a 360 or PS3!

Seriously dudes, I'm sold. Compared to the other two, this one HYPES ME UP!!! I'm getting it. And I'm not even a Nintendo fanboy (I'm still a sega fanboy for the oldskool days). Honest.

And I'll report when I get mine and start playing it.
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

Changing something just for the sake of change is always a bad idea. Old-good will always be better than new-stupid.
Thats not exactly an argument for Old That Doesnt Work That Well.

Wii's controller is different, yes, it is a gamble, yes. Now what is wrong with that? Youre getting something new, someone is trying something different, and theyre not charging you $400 to experience it either. This has the prospect of at the least making sports games more intuitive, and first person shooters may have a modicum of control (playing a FPS on console is akin to putting wheels on your boat to drive on the interstate).

In fact, it is exactly what Nintendo is going for, that percentage of the potential audience who look at a controller as we know it today, and look at the actions on screen and dont see the corollary. The outlook they are using is that the controller should be a tool for whats on the screen, not just a translator.

Unless youre doing something truly new, the cost of your product should be that of the original, plus cost of manufacturing with a 10% overhead. The research is your risk. Sony can keep on making the same thing over and over and charging more for it each time, but they never had my interest in the first place. Im not a hardcore Nintendo fan, but hey, theyre doing something different, and if anything it is a sad indicator of the industry standard that that it is potentially a good enough reason to err on their side.

If you want first person shooters, stick to PC, preferably pre 2000 for the most part. Going to console for the genre is like going to a buffet for a home cooked meal custom to you.