Kurt's Plea: split 20091008

Problems logging in? Links not working? Graphics missing? 4xx errors? Post any forum problems here.

Moderator: Webmasters

Ella
Axe Zombie

Post by Ella »

It's funny really, all this repetitive behaviour. After so long i had some hope for closure of such a feud, but evident as it is, there will clearly be no remorse of actions here taking place, or ever as it seems. This eternal loop (as it were) won't resort to any merged conclusion because everyone involved in this whole thing generates their own perspective, not in par with the 'opposition' or however you want to class them.

Kurt, i don't understand really, your initial thoughts that bring you to interact with the community in such a way, locked in the general topic of Corbin and his project. You've said before that you have had the realisation that this whole situation has been done to death and what you have supplied (be that of evidence or assumptions) have been seen, understood, and replied to before, so why carry out to put forth it all repeatedly? As well as you BON, most members have generated their own view to such a subject, it's clear decisions made can't be converted, nothing can be done further, misguidance or truth, it has been shown already.

Corbin, well, i can't comment on you, since there's nothing left to be said that hasn't already been stated already. I know who you are, i know what you do, as well as others, and they, plus myself, have moved passed it. I just don't understand why others can't do the same, because you've made your choices, and nothing can redirect your path, even if people do attempt to ridicule or intimidate you.

Everyone is trying to prove a point, but what people can't realise is that they're looked passed or ignored since the person in the argument refuses to believe it or just refrains from undertaking it in a understanding manner. Sure you may be obliged to carry out an argument because you may feel you're constantly called to do so, but the prolonging doesn't settle anything, only extends the damn grudge. Kurt, you may not realise, but you've allowed this entire thing to be centred in your internet life, more-or-less it's all you talk about, but we know, we understand, people have taken sides, people have generated their opinion, people have chosen to ignore and forget.

I understand it's affected you in intensive ways Kurt, i understand it's affected your project, i understand you're trying to do what you feel is the right thing, and this is respectable for some, but you've done it already, and repeating it can't justify it anymore than it already has been. If your project does nothing but create a horrible atmosphere, give you nothing but bad memories, then leave it, because the only vibe you create right now is utter regret and disgust that has a link towards Resurrection.

I can't prevent further arguments of course, and for all i know most of this is an act of boredom, but i can't respect such behaviour further, and i'm pretty sure others don't either. Grudges aren't worth holding onto, only the things that are important or of great significance are.
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

Well said Ella...
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

I'm still looking for an updated list of Corbin's actions, post 2006. What can I say, I'm lazy.

Final releases are one thing but development shots are another. I don't think it's necessarily a sin to use existing models/textures so long as it is understood that they will be replaced as it gets closer to final release.

Granted those development builds, using third party, unlicensed materials, should not be released to the public either. Isn't that basically what got you in trouble for with the RE:U mod Corbin?

BoN, I'll grant that Corbin appears to have a pension for the Dreamcast, but I'm missing the "for profit" claim. I'm not just ignoring the paypal donation button, I can see that, but that is optional, no? I mean you wouldn't heckle a street performer out of doing a cover of a popular song, just because he has his guitar case open for donations, would you?
Last edited by DustyStyx on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Nice job Ella, well said.

Chris, I concur completely. Just because a donate button is there does not mean anyone is forced to press it.
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

DustyStyx wrote: Granted those development builds, using third party, unlicensed materials, should not be released to the public either. Isn't that basically what got you in trouble for with the RE:U mod Corbin?
I didn't get into any real trouble at all, just with the community. Most of it was the fact that we failed to deliver what we had promised when we started the mod. There was a lot of hype surrounding it that we just never lived up to. and it used a lot of existing resources.

It almost was never about the legal stuff. There was talk about that but it was never really true. I had admitted to this when I apologized to Doomworld. I think that letter still exists somewhere on my site.

So the biggest problem with REU was that it was a failed mod, with failed promises. Simple as that. We got mad because of that and said a lot of stupid s***. The legal stuff was much less complicated and more there to try and find an excuse why we couldn't finish the game. :)

Memories. Gotta love them. I was waiting for a long time to publicly explain that to someone.

It's a good thing that happened though, at least for me. I took a lot of time off to actually learn what goes into a game. And thus, Hypertension is here. I alone have more than 3k lines of code I've done myself, along with countless other things. When I started this project, I did it because I wanted to better myself, to show people I can do more than copy/paste. And it worked, and I proved to myself that I'm not a kid anymore, and the vast majority of the public (Dreamcast and other) really love the game. Doomworld has also taken a positive interest in the game. From someone who commented on our HUD controversey not too long ago,
kyka wrote:You gotta understand man, most people have to work half a lifetime before they do anything good enough for it to be controversial. (in reference to the debate about Hypertension's HUD system,
Blood of Nightmares
Zealot

Post by Blood of Nightmares »

DustyStyx wrote:BoN, I'll grant that Corbin appears to have a pension for the Dreamcast, but I'm missing the "for profit" claim. I'm not just ignoring the paypal donation button, I can see that, but that is optional, no? I mean you wouldn't heckle a street performer out of doing a cover of a popular song, just because he has his guitar case open for donations, would you?
Don't you realize that Corbin is basically trying to sell stolen material/ideas from other games/mods on the Sega Dreamcast? Why else would he have any suspicious connections with the Dreamcast (and what do you think what other practical way on how he's going to give away the CDs? Which is obviously he's not giving them for free thats for sure)? Most modders I know of (especially Transfusion) wouldn't be asking for money (Perhaps better terms to describe Corbin's donate button is something like e-begging ) or suspiciously having connections with console ports.
Last edited by Blood of Nightmares on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

What are you talking about BON? I have always wanted to port a game to Dreamcast. I've loved it since it came out. Where does it ever say I want to sell and make grand amounts of money? Are you suggesting that I'm only making a DC game for money?

Don't go running your mouth when I'm right here, BON. Your paying attention skills certainly need some work, and it's p*** me off. I'm right here. I've said everything that needs to be said. Nothing is left out anymore. If you don't know what you're talking about, keep your mouth closed. We're trying to diffuse this situation.

For your information, BON, Amazon has a system set up to do exactly that. I pay for a bunch of CD's to be made, and then the end user pays Amazon to get it created/shipped.
kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

Clari87 wrote: Where does it ever say I want to sell and make grand amounts of money?
From the Postmortem; June 11, 2009
kurt wrote:I'm sorry but I can't leave this bit of twisted logic sitting there, as it tries to excuse parasitic actions to make money:
Clari87 wrote: It's not required by any means, but it sure does help. You should try it sometime. At least, we have to pay for software, sculpting materials, renting video equipment, I mean...COUNTLESS other things. For a project like my own, you can get in debt very easily. So...you can see how it would help with that stuff

Yes money certainly does help with things. But nobody is forcing you to do this project or to build your own studio. Most mods in existence are done freely by volunteers, and I know of very few mods that have ever had the nerve to ask anyone for any money. However you are actually waving the Blood franchise around to try to encourage people to pay you, and as far as I know you do not personally own the Blood franchise, or have any kind of license to profit off it. This is clearly parasitic behavior with motives that are financially self serving. Basically you are asking people to financially support a hobby of yours that uses material and intellectual property that legally does not belong to you.
Ella, thanks for bringing your common sense to the forum.

I actually had no intentions of starting any kind of arguments here. But when Clari claimed that it was perfectly fine to take other people's work, and Zardoz derailed the thread with his nonsense, I felt that I had to say something.

The anger and hatred that I still feel may be justified, but I really should not allow it to dictate my actions. But hopefully this thread has at least enlightened a few people here on the forum.

Blood of Nightmares
Zealot

I also strongly advise everyone else to check out and read every single page of this thread (where Kurt has linked to) to have a better understanding of Corbin...
Ella
Axe Zombie

Post by Ella »

There's a difference from demanding money and pleading, one is forced upon an individual to place credit to make purchase in order to obtain, the other is completely optional and dependant solely on the public’s in take on what the money is used for, and in this case Corbin has stated in your quotation.

If the latter system of donations can be classed a moralless act of thievery then it's entirely generalised by the person who makes this judgement, not the entire public, but it's strictly down to the individuals to make the choice of payment support. Corbin is by no means forcing the public to make payment, otherwise there will be legal conflicts which as everyone knows remains the problem of the official legal owner of Blood.

I realise this entire situation is difficult to pass by without having to re-state information to the public Kurt, but given through time and the overall change in direction by regards to this entire event, it shall continue to progress in such a manner, no matter what gets stated or what assumptions are made. Everyone has their own view of right and wrong, the only appropriate act of action here would be to let it pass and get on with your life without having the overbearing feeling of disgust, because allowing such emotion to grasp your entire mind constantly isn't good for one's health, or for the public’s view on the entire situation. By no means do you want people to lose all respect, for both 'parties' and what's done has been done, and there's nothing more that can be forced upon but rejection and further never ending arguments.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Again, Ella's is the voice of reason.

Thank you.

Kurt, you have already caused me (probably the biggest Blood2 fan on the planet) to become totally disinterested with Resurrection because of all this nonsense. Hopefully you can stop before the rest of what little community is left feels the same.
Blood of Nightmares
Zealot

I think this feud between Kurt and Corbin needs to come to a end/conclusion somewhere along the way...
kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

I Live...AGAIN wrote: Kurt, you have already caused me (probably the biggest Blood2 fan on the planet) to become totally disinterested with Resurrection because of all this nonsense. Hopefully you can stop before the rest of what little community is left feels the same.
Sorry you feel that way Joe.

I suppose it really is ok for someone with an apalling history to be so "inspired" that they would imitate my own project. I don't know what I was thinking...

They can recreate the screenshots and duplicate the general outline, and use resources that they don't even have any legal rights to. It's perfectly fine for them to try to make some money if they can, so that they can build themselves a studio. I won't mind at all either, if they decide to ridicule and lie about me for several months and attempt to do as much damage as they can. That's all perfectly acceptable and I really have no right to be angry or to even speak about it.

You are entitled to your views Joe, as is everyone. I'll make sure that you are not allowed to play Resurrection when its completed.

I will say no more.

zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

Kurt:
You are entitled to your views Joe, as is everyone. I'll make sure that you are not allowed to play Resurrection when its completed.

...And as zZaRDoZz watched on in horror, the last engine of the good airliner KF flamed out. There was a few moments of continued momentum as the plane slowed. Then a sickening rattle shuttered through the aircraft as it yawed steeply left and began it's final death spiral downwards....
Last edited by zZaRDoZz on Fri Oct 09, 2009 01:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ella
Axe Zombie

Post by Ella »

Kurt, you aren't restricted from stating your own personal views and opinions, but at present it's evident that it’s not very commendable choice of action, not when the given situation won't really desist because there isn't a solid agreement between you and who you feel is attacking you.

You would gain greater respect if you were to restrict yourself from engaging in retaliation and further provocation, because it doesn't settle anything, and i'm not strictly aiming such a thing towards you, members involved in general should lay out a line and not repeatedly pass it. Most of this is unneeded and creates undesirable stress, and who honestly wants to possess such a thing? No one. Of course everyone can say what they like, feel what they like, do what they like, but it's up to the person to judge this by their own standards and morality. Just because one person might feel something is disrespectful, doesn't necessarily mean others feel the same, or are in terms of agreement, because we judge by what we can understand, and this can't be reverted to something new by reinstating things constantly.

People shouldn't let something so small be blown way out of proportion like this, and further carried out in a loop, it doesn't hold a significant purpose or create any closure. Nothing more can be said, pure and simple, anything further added is just statements of a personal matter which by right shouldn't need to be involved in the first placed, there's more to life than games, or mods or whatever, you should never let it overrun your life or feelings.