An Invitation from well.. heh. me!!!

Want to spill some blood? Let others know and coordinate here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Well, you might like it, but I appear to be one of very few people here who actually enjoy it to some degree. Who knows?
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

I'll probably really hate it, but I must have played or at least seen the game to feel right about burning the game down to the floor.
:D
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

I forgot how much Steam sux. First you download the demo (1,5 hours), that installs Steam (5 minutes), there you have to create an account (10 minutes), then it starts downloading updates for Steam (10 minutes), then you want to start the demo, and then it starts updating HL2-files (another 15 minutes). So now I'm a grand 2 hours down the line and haven't even started the game yet. How can anyone not be frustrated?
:evil:
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Certainly, but I have the full game and after I installed it I had to wait 3 hours until Steam updated all HL2 files.
I have a 2 megabit connection and still I had to wait 3 hours for Steam to update the game!
Whole instalation took about 4 hours - this is plain nuts.
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

OMG

I've concluded that this game is just as boring as the first game, so I'm not going to acquire the full version in this lifetime. I was amazed that the game actually was playable on my machine. I remember seeing Doom 3 on a machine much like mine and with everything on Low it still was very choppy. Now I had everything on medium and it only chopped when the HD was busy. Too bad the game is so sucky. Still the same old boring weapons. :(
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

I heard rumor that some of the sounds like the magnum were even recycled! Now I can accept that for tournament games like quake 3, but in single player mode games, that's a definate no-no. Oh by the way weezle, amusing sig you got there. ;)
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

Makes sense to me, since they also use the exact same weapons as in the first part. The only new thing was that Zero Gravity thing. Gives them an excuse to put an incredibly low amount of ammo in the levels I suppose (but why?). Sure it's fun to splice the monsters in half with a spinning blade, but if you find yourself surrounded by enemies and you can't seem to find the blade that you just used to perform one of those amateur surgeries it only becomes annoying.
One thing that bothered me about the first one, and they still haven't changed is that the bullets don't push the monsters back much when you're pumping round after round in 'em. They just keep walking at you. No cool gore effects on impact either. Just the same old boring splash-sprites. Or does that change on higher detail levels? Anyone?

Ah and thanks on the sig. Glad you like it! :)
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

No problem man. And I heard that in actual life, ammo doesn't really push you backwards. I saw on a forensic crime show that it just slugs into your chest and you fall down... or not. Depends. They used that fact to cheat a kid out of his own lie. Soooo.... another point to realism for half-s***! Hooray! Mind you... it IS odd that they keep walking forward when spraying them with a machine-gun. :?
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Well, in reality bullets do push you backwards quite often. Whether they do or not just depends on their mass and speed, and on your mass also. :lol:
Some bullets can have very small mass, but if they have a very high velocity they still carry a lot of momentum.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Did you miss that episode of MythBusters?!? They stuck pore Buster up on a hook and shot him numerous times without much of a blowback. It took a shotgun to even bearly budge him off. Anything less, even a .45 just made Buster jiggle.

Now if you were to shoot some one with a 80mm cannon, yeah they will get blown away...

Drakan, they would have to be hoped up on PCP.
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Real shotgun would push you back pretty much, believe me.
Especially with a few shots.

*EDIT*

I found some data on guns. For example there are guns that fire 50 gram bullets with a speed of 500 m/s.
Now, if we assume the bullet hits an 80 kilogram man then the man + the bullet will have a speed of 0.30 meters per second. This means about 12 inches per second.

This was a simplest possible model, with no friction and no angular momentum, but still if you hit a man with a few bullets like that you will see him pushed back.
Last edited by predator on Tue Aug 09, 2005 04:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

I stand corrected... :oops:

What's PCP if I may ask?
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Cruaich wrote:Did you miss that episode of MythBusters?!? They stuck pore Buster up on a hook and shot him numerous times without much of a blowback. It took a shotgun to even bearly budge him off. Anything less, even a .45 just made Buster jiggle.

Now if you were to shoot some one with a 80mm cannon, yeah they will get blown away...
Aw man! Every time they do something totally awesome on Mythbusters I miss it! I suppose that's what I get for sitting here 24/7...
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Predator, it's Newtonian physics. Ever action has an equal and opposite reaction. For a bullet to knock the target on his ass it would have to have enough energy transfer to knock the shooter off his feet as well.

When the bullet hits, there may be an issue of leverage... shooting some one in the shoulder when their footing isn't quite right, that'd cause erratic movement. But think about a bullet hitting a 200lb. sandbag. It's not going to knock it over. It's not even going to knock over a 50lb. bag of flower unless the leverage is just right.

When some one falls over from being shot it's because they are really HURT! Not because the bullet knocked them down. I've seen a round of .22 crawl up a sheet of TARGET paper for crying out loud.

Drakan, PCP is a drug that can make people loose their sense of pain. It's fairly notorious in that it was sited as a key issue in the Rodney King beating, a flashpoint incident that lead to the ’92 L.A. Riots. It took 6 cops to take down Mr. King because he was hoped up on PCP and wouldn’t stop getting back up.
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Cruaich, what I told you was exactly Newtonian physics, and you can safely apply what I said to a sand bag or whatever. Those calculations were exactly for something like this. So yes, there are bullets that can move an 80kg sand bag (if friction is not very big). The Newtonian law you mentioned talks about force, not energy. What we need to use here is the momentum conservation law, and that's exactly what I used. You can write it like this:

M_bullet * V_bullet = M_(bag+bullet) * V_(bag+bullet)

I told you that the model is very simple, simplest to be exact. It doesn't take friction and angular momentum into account (shoulder shots), and of course it doesn't take natural reactions like pain into account either.

If you don't see a sandbag move after it was shot then IT IS BECAUSE OF FRICTION!

Obviously shot people fall down mostly because they are hurt, but it doesn't mean they are not pushed back by the bullets. I'm not talking about small bullets from a small hand gun, but about bigger bullets, like rifle bullets and such.