Dukonnector or How to hijack a thread and bitch about $#!+

Want to spill some blood? Let others know and coordinate here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

DustyStyx
2D Artist

Dukonnector or How to hijack a thread and bitch about $#!+

Post by DustyStyx »

Hunting around for DOSBox utilities, I came across this little ditty. The author, aaBlueDragon, makes note of writing up new version of the connector with Hamachi like features to alleviate the port forwarding issues. Might be something to watch.
Last edited by DustyStyx on Fri Oct 05, 2007 04:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

Then again aaBlueDragon redistributed Doom2.wad on his site at one point and still has DosboxEasy around (which is a dosbox bundled with illegal full scftware like norton commander plus the drive is mounted directly to C:\).

Not really promising.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

I can always dream!!! <sobs>

It's good to see DOSBox dev going on though, eventually I'm sure they will have near effortless connectivity built right in, but shortcuts would be welcome.

Post by Guest »

Sorry to say this, because I got confused about some facts, but...
leileilol wrote:Then again aaBlueDragon redistributed Doom2.wad on his site at one point and still has DosboxEasy around (which is a dosbox bundled with illegal full scftware like norton commander plus the drive is mounted directly to C:\)
Doom2.wad at one point, back the days Steam had not its fangs on it

About Norton Commander,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_Commander
They claim it's license free, IDK about that

And he didn't even need to ask for permission about using DosBox & DB Easy, do he?
Even so, what about mounting to C:\? makes thing quick & happens to be less of a problem
leileilol wrote:Not really promising.
Sure.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

Anonymous wrote: Doom2.wad at one point, back the days Steam had not its fangs on it
:facepalm:NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO REDISTRIBUTE COPYRIGHTED COMMERCIAL SOFTWARE WITHOUT PERMISSION, THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THIS INCIDENT
Anonymous wrote: About Norton Commander,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_Commander
They claim it's license free, IDK about that
:facepalm:NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO REDISTRIBUTE COPYRIGHTED COMMERCIAL SOFTWARE WITHOUT PERMISSION AND EVEN WORSE MERGING IT WITH FREE SOFTWARE
Anonymous wrote: Even so, what about mounting to C:\? makes thing quick & happens to be less of a problem
:facepalm:NO ONE ADVISES THAT, BECAUSE IT IS RETARDED, AND UNSAFE, AND DOSBOX ALSO WARNS ABOUT IT, AS WELL AS THE MANUAL.

Post by Guest »

ooooookay? well, sorry, dude? sometimes, I must go fan-boy mode, you know...
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

To assist translating those issues.

I assume there's some gripe about Steam having its fangs in Doom? Doesn't matter, doom2.wad is still a part of Doom 2 and still under Doom 2's license (the media license, not the GPL). If you want it you buy it. If you can't buy it, you go without.

The links on that Norton Commander page link to abandonware sites. There is no such licence as Abandonware; all they are doing is redistributing copyrighted material. Unless Symantec come out and say "it's free, go grab it and spread it around" then it's not legal.

Mounting to C:\ is problematic because it introduces read/write access to the host OS files. Yes, you could go and delete and screw up files anyway, but a virtual OS gives one more level of ignorance to the user. Plus, if something screws up with the virtual mount you put your host OS at risk. Anyone remember the first version of Nero 7 (think it was 7)? It had a feature where you set your temporary folder and it would automatically clear it; it just so happened it would let you set C:\ as a folder option....

Post by Guest »

Kazashi wrote:I assume there's some gripe about Steam having its fangs in Doom? Doesn't matter, doom2.wad is still a part of Doom 2 and still under Doom 2's license (the media license, not the GPL). If you want it you buy it. If you can't buy it, you go without
Correct, and ID f*** up all the fun of Doom by not letting it be Abandonware anymore
Kazashi wrote:The links on that Norton Commander page link to abandonware sites. There is no such licence as Abandonware; all they are doing is redistributing copyrighted material. Unless Symantec come out and say "it's free, go grab it and spread it around" then it's not legal
Huh. well, on EVERY Wiki, they say IT IS, don't ask ME :shrug:
Kazashi wrote:Mounting to C:\ is problematic because it introduces read/write access to the host OS files. Yes, you could go and delete and screw up files anyway, but a virtual OS gives one more level of ignorance to the user. Plus, if something screws up with the virtual mount you put your host OS at risk.
Oh, yeah?
Remote PC control! lolz, that got owned by OpenWindows best flaw
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

Anonymous wrote:
Kazashi wrote:I assume there's some gripe about Steam having its fangs in Doom? Doesn't matter, doom2.wad is still a part of Doom 2 and still under Doom 2's license (the media license, not the GPL). If you want it you buy it. If you can't buy it, you go without
Correct, and ID f*** up all the fun of Doom by not letting it be Abandonware anymore
:roll: