Blood LAN Game on XP? Can It Be?

Want to spill some blood? Let others know and coordinate here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Desdinova
Axe Zombie

Post by Desdinova »

I think that Commit is just used by setup.exe when trying to start a multiplayer game (could be wrong though)
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

That is correct.

Its a little tricky, but its possible.
commit.exe uses "commit.dat" file to launch, and inside that file it determines which game file to run (blood.exe)

That can be changed to blood.vlp I believe, but it likes to reset every time commit is ran unless you set the file to read-only.
Number II
Fanatic

Post by Number II »

What if you set it to, say, UnrealTournament.exe? :wink:
scirmast
Cultist

Post by scirmast »

Slink wrote:Good news: Commit 1.4 is all you need for beautiful lan play over TCP/IP.
Hold on! Do you mean that commit 1.4 TCP/IP will run like Normal commit on LAN (assuming pings are around 50)?
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Hi guys, I'm a new forum member, long time Blood fan (I am 13. I'll not lie to you fellow bloodites. Back in the worshipped year of 1997, when my dad was still a gamer, one of his friends bought blood and I borrowed it and "forgot" to return it :wink: ), and have been lurking about Transfusion's forums for about 3 months now. I finally decided I'd join and so here I am.

I've done this too, just now actually. My brother and I did some co-op. We had some problems, due to one computer not running VDMS and having to run Blood with crap sound, but it remained synched for the most part and we got to Phantom Express without any errors. We didn't play past Phantom Express because he was getting bored. I find him to be clinically insane. He rarely plays Blood despite having complete access to it. Either way, we did the exact procedure described here. We COULD have had 3 computers running it, but mine was having NetBIOS problems. The two computers used had Win XP, Pentium 4s and slightly old soundcards. This is pretty much just for reference to anyone wanting to try it, it took much mucking about with stuff though, and I might be able to answer questions about it.

I'd say I've done enough introduction as well as posting... :)
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Welcome, little brother! I'm ÐÐ. The resident Dreaming God of Blood. You'll always find a friendly face here and NEVER hesitate to talk about Blood. I can speak about any part of Blood non stop... ahh, but this is not the place for this.

Welcome to the fold! :twisted:
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Welcome Necrosis.
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

Welcome Necrosis!
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Welcome, Necrosis. Glad the instructions worked for you, and thanks for reporting on it. :wink: I've been far to lazy and just prefer to play Blood on a legacy box/lan
Chrispy

Post by Chrispy »

Hi Necrosis, i might need ur help. We are trying to set up a LAN connection with two Win XP PCs. We start with VDMSound and low level network support enabled. We find each other with commit(using ver 1.4, blood ver. 1.11) but everytime short before the game should be starting, it locks up with the msg: "waiting for network players" after "initializing sound system".
If that problem ist well known to you, please help us.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

I don't know if I can help, I did mine with 1.21, and a veeeeerry long time ago.

Wow... That thing's almost a year old now...
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

scirmast wrote:
Slink wrote:Good news: Commit 1.4 is all you need for beautiful lan play over TCP/IP.
Hold on! Do you mean that commit 1.4 TCP/IP will run like Normal commit on LAN (assuming pings are around 50)?
Yes. Haven't you grown impatient and tried it already? ;) -Slink
Rogue Martyr
Rat

Post by Rogue Martyr »

How does commit 1.4 support TCP/IP??? my 1.4 used IPX so i disabled that thinking it would default to TCP but didnt and crashed. Could you elaborate on this please?
Rogue Martyr
Rat

Post by Rogue Martyr »

Chrispy wrote:Hi Necrosis, i might need ur help. We are trying to set up a LAN connection with two Win XP PCs. We start with VDMSound and low level network support enabled. We find each other with commit(using ver 1.4, blood ver. 1.11) but everytime short before the game should be starting, it locks up with the msg: "waiting for network players" after "initializing sound system".
If that problem ist well known to you, please help us.
Hi,

yes im getting this problem too... anyone? I never used to have this problem...
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

Well i have played Blood Lan on Xp it is possible. but for some unknown reason is stopped working when my bro upgraded his system haveen't really struggled with it too much but it has some thing to do with IPX being installed i think :shrug:

as far as i know thought as long as you've got the latest Commit it should just work