Blood LAN Game on XP? Can It Be?

Want to spill some blood? Let others know and coordinate here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Desdinova
Axe Zombie

Blood LAN Game on XP? Can It Be?

Post by Desdinova »

http://38.113.204.56/~kahnmit/

It describes itself as a utility to play blood lan games in XP!!!!

Has anyone tried it?
Does it work?

I CAN't WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:
Jethro
Fanatic

Post by Jethro »

Bad news ;(

I've tried it - it sounded great till I found out that it requires Khan - this IPX emulator uses VXD kernel drivers, so, in fact, it requires Windows 9x/Me to run - it won't work on any NT based Windows, including XP ;( So Your (our ;/) only hope to play Blood via Internet is Transfusion ...
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

This was posted on the PlanetBlood forum a little while ago.
Author: ddriag <gareth_krantz@hotmail.com>
Date: 7/29/04 6:06:00 PM
Subject: winxp blood(/build?) LAN multiplayer working!

well after some tinkering I managed to get my winXP machine to connect to a LAN game with a winMe machine . Im pretty certain that 2 or more XP/win2k machines will be able to connect the same way.
I basically enabled VDMsound's 'low level network support' checkbox when creating a VDMSound shortcut to setup.exe in the Blood directory. Setup.exe is the only way to start a LAN game in Blood.

this is what you need to do:
I took the vdmsound shortcut (http://www.deathmask.net/buildxp/files/blood.vlp) from this cool site and saved it on my desktop (or any other directory). I right clicked properties and set the shortcut to point to setup.exe (instead of blood.exe) with no arguments.
After clicking OK, I opened it up in textpad added the following line to it under the section [winnt.storage]:

useNetware=yes

Save the vlp shortcut from notepad and run setup.exe from that shortcut and you should be able to play an IPX LAN game fine, as long as all XP/Win2k machines start the same way!
BTW: useNetware=yes is an option which gets set when you create a vdmsound shortcut when you check 'low level network support'

Hopefully this helps people. Good luck, This is a great game to COOP with, especially with an industry that is too lazy to support COOP nowadays.
EDIT:
btw You may need to get a hold of COMMIT.EXE version 1.4 (which comes with Duke3d atomic), as I havent tried it with the 1.3 version which comes with Whole Blood.

It may work with 1.3, though I've read that 1.3 may not be XP friendly.
You can get COMMIT.EXE v1.4 here

I've not personaly tried this yet, so I can't say if it will work or not.

Post by Guest »

Q: How can I play Duke directly on LAN without using Kahn?
A: Install IPX/SPX on every computer in LAN, then launch Kahnmit, set reduction to none and play. If you don't want to install IPX, run Kahn in local server mode on one of the computers and connect other computers to that one using Kahn (insert server - type ip of server computer - connect).
That's from the Khanmit site. And if it still dont work, then Cruiach's helpful post keeps our hope alive!
Desdinova
Axe Zombie

Post by Desdinova »

The guest was me btw!

:D
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

I've been meaning to update the BuildXP page with networking support for some time now, but have been too busy to get a testbed going to make sure everything works. Hopefully sometime soon, but I've said that soo many times :(
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

OK,

I tested this on my lan tonight and it works fine,

just get Blood to work in XP using the BuildXP page
http://www.deathmask.net/buildxp/

then change the Blood.vlp to point to setup.exe instead of blood.exe,,

TA DA!!! Blood multiplayer in XP....

Very Important:::: Make sure you have loaded the IPX protocol on your network connection in XP or it wont work[/url]
Desdinova
Axe Zombie

Post by Desdinova »

Woohoo!
But now I think I am going to lose my job....how am I going to concentrate on work when I'd be thinking of that gorgeous BloodBath? :lol:
hund_
Axe Zombie

Post by hund_ »

I Live...AGAIN wrote:OK,

I tested this on my lan tonight and it works fine,

Very Important:::: Make sure you have loaded the IPX protocol on your network connection in XP or it wont work[/url]
does this work between different os's?
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

From the first paragraph.
Well after some tinkering I managed to get my WinXP machine to connect to a LAN game with a WinMe machine.
I would gess that it would work between Win98, WinME, Win2K, and WinXP. But they might all need to run Blood using the BuildXP VM setings.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Good news: Commit 1.4 is all you need for beautiful lan play over TCP/IP.

Bad news: Only catch is that you cant play smooth(will be unplayable) if you run with sound in XP, in my experience.

Advice: Keep a back-up copy of the old version of commit.exe in the case that any problems arise with your copy of 1.4
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

Unfortunatly, it will be some time before I have time to make any updates, but hopefully the next one will contain a lot of useful information for BuildXP.

In reply to unplayability with sound in XP, there is actually a fix to that, and that is editing the commit.dat file (open it with notepad or something similar), editing the launch file from blood.exe to the blood.vlp shortcut, which should make a tremendous difference.
IHateMimes

Post by IHateMimes »

Is there a chance to play multiplayer through the Internet? :( Blood1 I mean, not Transfusion
Cruo
Axe Zombie

Post by Cruo »

IHateMimes wrote:Is there a chance to play multiplayer through the Internet? :( Blood1 I mean, not Transfusion
Kali.net
mouth
Acolyte

Post by mouth »

How about putting VDM shortcut to commit.exe?