Blood network game. IPX and NETBIOS

Want to spill some blood? Let others know and coordinate here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

PogueMahone
Rat

Blood network game. IPX and NETBIOS

Post by PogueMahone »

A friend and I am trying to play a LAN game of blood using my PC and his laptop. Neither is hooked up to the internet, and I haven't got a clue as to how to use KALI over just a LAN. The problem is, when I start a network game of blood through my setup.vlp, I get this message

-------------
COMMIT Device Driver Version 1.4
-----------------
o 4 players
o Network game
NetBIOS detected - local adress: 000fb0bd175d
Registry netBIOS name as "GAME000" - ok, id#2
Attempting to find all players for a 2 player network game. Press ESC to exit.
Looking for network players.............

and when he runs either the setup or commit vlps, he gets a message similar, but with IPX instead of NetBIOS. Obviously, we can't play together. I've followed all the steps in the "Blood to perfection" topic, and Blood runs perfectly on its own, on both PCs. I've tried installing and uninstalling all the IPX protocols on both comps, reinstalling Blood, everything you could think of, but still no luck.

Then again, I really don't have any idea on how to play these old games over a network, do I start a server with setup.exe or commit? And how exactly does my friend join the server? By using commit?
(His Laptop is way to slow to run DosBox, so that's out of the question)
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Welcome! Please use the forum's search to find information in these forums regarding your topic--you will find much.

Use commit v1.4, so you don't need IPX. It uses TCP/IP.
Yes, I know it still says netbios and IPX etc. No, 1.4 really uses tcp/ip.

Use our search. :)

-Slink
PogueMahone
Rat

Post by PogueMahone »

That's the thing though, we're both using commit 1.4. I've looked everywhere on the forums for the same problem, but I haven't found anything.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

You have to be using the same EXACT version of the game. You CANNOT have Netbios or IPX enabled in your OS afaik. Does that help? Try unblocking your TCP/IP and UDP ports if any are. -SLINK
PogueMahone
Rat

Post by PogueMahone »

I installed the game on both systems from the same disc. (One Whole Unit 1.21) I don't know alot about networking, so could you explain about unblocking the necessary ports and disabling Netbios and IPX?
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

I will assume you are running something more recent than Win98. If you didn't specifically enable IPX, then you don't have to worry about it.

Here are the steps:
1. Always check the physical layer first - are you plugged in?
2. Check the logical connection - can you even ping the router? Or can you view internet sites?
3. Through what interface are you networking? Just a cross-over cable? Thru a router? A large-scale network? You gotta have access to port blocking.
If you are using a router, RTFM. (Read the manual.)
4. Thank me regardless of whether this works. ;)

You are welcome. :) Let me know if your network type, each computer's operating system (windows xp? etc.). See if your computer can ping your buddy's comp, and vise versa.

-Slink
PogueMahone
Rat

Post by PogueMahone »

Thanks, Slink.

Everything checks out just fine, we're just connected via network cable in the same room, no routers or anything, just the laptop and PC. We're playing Duke Nukem 3D ports (through Dukester X), Outlaws, and a few other games just fine, but still no Blood. Both using Windows XP SP2. Still, it might be just a port problem or something, considering I know next to nothing about networking (Unfortunately).
Edit:Neither comp is connected to the internet, but I can connect either one to my broadband connection, and they work.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Gotta have same version of THIS FILE> http://files.deathmask.net/commit/1.4/D ... COMMIT.EXE

Try it?
PogueMahone
Rat

Post by PogueMahone »

I had Commit 1.4 to begin with, but I still tried the copy from the link above, alone, and using the VDMS shortcut, and I get the same message:

--------------------------------
COMMIT Device Driver Version 1.4
--------------------------------

o 2 Player Game
o Network Game

IPX Network Initialized
Using socket number 0x8501

Attempting to find all players for a 2 player network game. Press ESC to exit.
Looking for network players......

(I did make sure the socket numbers matched as well)
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Ah, try NOT using VDM sound at all. If you need Hi-Rez support, use NOLFB.exe, but don't use that for now either.

Just try both games in 320*200 resolution and with NO SOUND.

That may work. ;) Luck!

-Slink
PogueMahone
Rat

Post by PogueMahone »

Interesting. When I run commit.exe on my pc, I get the same screen, everything starts up fine. When I do the same thing on the laptop, however, I get the NetBios not usable error. I've got all the protocols installed and everything, I'm wondering if it's just undoable, maybe due to the fact I the laptop uses an adapter card to connect to the LAN.
(The PC that I'm on right now will run commit.exe and everything, I'm considering hooking it up to my gaming PC and trying a network game. I already tried connecting it with the laptop. No dice.)
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Well, all you should need on the laptop is to have TCP/IP enabled and connected, while IPX/Netbios is disabled. In Windows, you can right-click "network places" and then r.click your active connection and select "properties". (Before you view your active connection's properties, make sure to have no other connections active by disabling any that are.)

Under "Connection Properties" you should have "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" in the list, but you should not have IPX/Netbios.

Sorry, what versions of Windows are on each machine? Good work, btw. ;)

-Slink
PogueMahone
Rat

Post by PogueMahone »

No good. Now I get a NetBios not usable error on the laptop. BTW, both PCs have XP on them, laptop has pro and desktop has home edition. The laptop was upgraded from 98 I think, so that might have something to do with it.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Can anyone help this poor soul? I seem to be incapable... :(

Is the laptop directly connected to the same exact router as the PC? Or is there another network interface device between them? Does the laptop have some firewall enabled? Windows has a firewall. There are different firewall softwares available as well. You may have ports blocked.

-Slink
clarkden
Rat

Post by clarkden »

hello guys

i also have the problem in connecting the my two system on LAN ,
due to which i am unable to play any game.

error message - LAN was unplugged.

Clarkden