Transfusion 1.1 beta3

This is the place where information regarding beta releases will be. Discussion about bugs, changes, or questions should be posted here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Transfusion 1.1 beta3

Post by Kazashi »

It's finally up. Transfusion 1.1 beta3 has finally been put together and released to the public. Major changes include updated models and weapons, various textures, code changes, plus some cleaning out and repackaging. I don't have a precise list of changes onhand, so you'll have to take a look for yourself.

The download is located in the Files section of the SourceForge site (http://blood.sourceforge.net), which is also accessible from the main site itself (http://transfusion.deathmask.net/files).

Feedback would be appreciated. It is a beta release after all!
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

Graphics are amazing!
But what happened to the collision detection? TNTs aren't bouncing off the walls, but off the area near the wall. :?
I should mention that I only tested BB1. :P
Fiend:Kamikaze
A LUMBERJACK!

Post by Fiend:Kamikaze »

What can I say? It's progress. I though e3m1 was going to be in this release, though. :(
Toddd
Axe Zombie

Post by Toddd »

What Darkplaces build are you using?
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Toddd wrote:What Darkplaces build are you using?
It's dated July 21, 2004
Fiend:Kamikaze wrote:I though e3m1 was going to be in this release, though. :(
I dont know if we had the latest version, there were maps that Predator and -ED were working on as well, but we wern't able to get ahold of them over the weekend to have them included. We'll have to set a deadline in the future, sorry about htat guys :oops:

There was a bug Mathieu found about 2 seconds after release as well, so we will probably have updates posted here on the forum soon. Remeber it's still a beta so there's still lots of work to do. We will have a number of Betas out befor the final 1.1 is compleated.
Last edited by DustyStyx on Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toddd
Axe Zombie

Post by Toddd »

Anyways, I started a little campaign on the internet. Maybe some players will be attracted. I want to play beta3 on the net :-)
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Sure thing! What's your IP? We should make it a sticky in the Bloodbath forum on how to make your server apear on the maseter server list.
Toddd
Axe Zombie

Post by Toddd »

IRC?
Loevet

How do I install?

Post by Loevet »

I looked in the zip-file for the 1.3 beta, and I found a file without an fileextension. How do I install this?
Elric
Cabal member

Re: How do I install?

Post by Elric »

Loevet wrote:I looked in the zip-file for the 1.3 beta, and I found a file without an fileextension. How do I install this?
I think you're talking about "transfusion-glx"? It's the Linux executable (for i386 CPUs). If you don't have Linux on your PC, you can delete it, it's useless.
Loevet

It doesn't work

Post by Loevet »

What I had downloaded was the 1.3 beta zip, which consisted of one file, whick turned out to pe a compressed library of the windows version. Since I use linux, that wasn't for me. But I tried to run the 1.0 version, but then I get the error message:
"Transfusion Linux 13:28:15 Oct 22 2002
Error: ./transfusion/pak0.pak is not a packfile"

What can I do about this?
Elric
Cabal member

Re: It doesn't work

Post by Elric »

Loevet wrote:What I had downloaded was the 1.3 beta zip, which consisted of one file, whick turned out to pe a compressed library of the windows version. Since I use linux, that wasn't for me. But I tried to run the 1.0 version, but then I get the error message:
"Transfusion Linux 13:28:15 Oct 22 2002
Error: ./transfusion/pak0.pak is not a packfile"

What can I do about this?
OK. It looks like you mixed up the 2 versions... Anyway, let's start from scratch.

Get the 1.1 beta3 release (a ZIP file, 52MB or so). Unzip it on your Linux machine.
IMPORTANT: you must have the latest zlib installed (Transfusion will look for the dynamic library "libz.so"). I think all Linux distributions have it but you may want to check that the symbolic link "libz.so" is actually there.
Then, go into the new directory, named "transfusion-1.1-beta3" if I remember correctly. Change "transfusion-glx" permissions to make it runnable ("chmod 0755 transfusion-glx" in a shell), and run it. That should be good.
Toddd
Axe Zombie

Post by Toddd »

Elric: It would be a lot easier if we provided a .tar.gz for the linux users. A .tar.gz
would preserve the permission. A .sh script to launch the executable would also be interesting. I once wrote one for Transfusion so that I can start it by clicking on a symbol :-)

BTW: I told people to set the permissions for the -glx file correctly:
http://www.happypenguin.org/
http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/

But I suppose many of today's linux users don't even know what file permissions are so I think a Linux installer for the final 1.1 would be a good idea...
Elric
Cabal member

Post by Elric »

Actually, when you build a ZIP archive on Linux, it stores the files permissions correctly in the archive. Having a ZIP distribution is useful because you know anyone can unpack it, whatever his machine is. It's the safest choice.

I made a Linux installer for the 1.0rc5 release candidate (you can still see it on http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/blood/, it's transfusion-1.0rc5-linux.i386.sh). But when I released TF 1.0, I finally decided to not rebuild it for this version, because it would have meant 40 more MB to upload for me, + support which is something I didn't want to do at this time. Also, Linux users are supposed to be tech-savy enough to know how to unpack a ZIP file. Well, at least they were at this time. :wink:

As for the shell script, I don't really see the point frankly. What would it do? Just launch the executable?
Toddd
Axe Zombie

Post by Toddd »

Elric wrote:Actually, when you build a ZIP archive on Linux, it stores the files permissions correctly in the archive. Having a ZIP distribution is useful because you know anyone can unpack it, whatever his machine is. It's the safest choice.
Then someone must have packed it from his Windows box because in the current zip, permissions are not stored for some reason.

Elric wrote:As for the shell script, I don't really see the point frankly. What would it do? Just launch the executable?
Yeah, that's what it should do. I remember how long it took for me to find out how to execute a program in Linux since the first time I downloaded a binary directly. Up until that point, I always compied the programs and used make install to have the binaries in /usr/bin. But this program came with the binary and some other files and I did not know were to put the rest. Some hours later I had figured out that I just had to type ./name-of-the-program in the console to run it. Damn, typing ./transfusion-glx in the console is not self-explenatory. Having a shell script that just executes the binary might help because this way, you can just click on the script in KDE/Gnome/whatever and the program is startet. It's quiet easy and helps out a lot.

And a Linux installer for the final game would help a lot more.
Actually, the urge for Linux installers is so great that a whole community was built around it: http://liflg.sourceforge.net/
A possibility for the final 1.1 would be to have a .sh install package and a normal zip file in wich the windows and the linux binaries are included.