Entity limit

This is the place where information regarding beta releases will be. Discussion about bugs, changes, or questions should be posted here.

Moderators: Slink, General Discussion Moderators

Lioyd_Irving
Axe Zombie

Entity limit

Postby Lioyd_Irving » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:19 am

I had this thought yesterday. I'm not sure of how it works, but this is my interpretation. Tell me if I'm wrong.

In Quake, each entity occupies a "slot" called an "edict". It can be anything : debris, projectiles, enemies, pickups, and the player himself. When an entity disappears, it frees the edict it was previously occupying. There are a limited number of edicts, and if too much entities are created at the same time, it will generate a "no free edicts" error, causing the game to crash. Am I right ?

Now the problem is : How are you going to recreate the singleplayer mode with this limit ? Not only has Blood more actors per level than Quake, but it also has much more gore and persistent gibs. What will happen with large groups of zombies ? Will we be able to toss our TNT on them without fearing the desktop ? What about Shial's spiders or the Bloated Butchers ?

...Just a thought.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Postby Slink » Wed Jun 18, 2008 03:21 pm

It's a fine question, but we're not using the Quake engine. We're using Darkplaces. LordHavoc can set any limits (to any parameters) he wants.
Lioyd_Irving
Axe Zombie

Postby Lioyd_Irving » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:05 am

Isn't DP a mod of the Q1 engine ?

Anyway. Good to know it got rid of the edicts system. :D
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Postby Slink » Thu Jun 19, 2008 03:27 pm

I don't know what was gotten rid of, but Darkplaces was originally based upon the Q1 engine, and is now only loosely based upon it, afaik.

Return to “Beta Discussion”