Stalaggh - the purported true horrific ambient band

Anything not gaming related goes here. Not sure where something should be posted? Post it in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

I know what you mean. I don't listen to black metal anymore, I lost interest in it about ten years ago, and even when I liked it Mayhem were never my favorite band. They were not good musicians and their music was rather primitive, but they still were a lot better than Burzum. That's what I meant.

As far as Immortal are concerned, I had their "Battles in the North" album, which I liked very much.
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

Sons of Northern Darkness is a great album, particularly the song Antarctica

something tells me Abbath would approve of Even Death May Die, the snow drifts, the shifting sheets of ice and glaciers, the mountains and structures resting upon them...

im picky as to who i listen to when it comes to ideology, considering a lot of extreme music seems oriented around... antagonising a group - generally Christianity.
r_cain
The Drinking God

Post by r_cain »

"Ive never been a big fan of Mayhem or Burzum, what with being a practicing Catholic"

Hmm, Catholic here too, and I like it a lot.
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

scar3crow wrote:a lot of extreme music seems oriented around... antagonising a group - generally Christianity.
Yes. That's true, unfortunately.

About that Immortal album - it must have been released after I stopped listening to their music, as I don't recall that album. I think the last one I heard was called Blizzard Beasts.
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

Sons of Northern Darkness was released in 2002 and it is their final album
and the best Ive heard by them. Horgh has moved on to drum for Hypocrisy, and Abbath did guest vocals on a track on Dimmu Borgir's last album, Death Cult Armageddon.

Ive long desired to do a Christian metal group, on par with Cryptopsy, Behemoth, etc for heaviness - but with a salvation theology message. And also dealing with the everyday threats in the Christian life of temptation, and the exemplerary threats that are oft forgotten such as demons. Ive put a lot of thought into it, however it is very uncommon to find someone who is into such heavy music that is also a Christian.

That and Id love to do heavy music mixed with morbid ambience that would fit along an environment such as Blood's
r_cain
The Drinking God

Post by r_cain »

Christian black metal does exist.

And is Death-cult any good?

I have the first dimmu album

and i have to adimt to liking cof :(
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

Im yet to hear any Christian black metal... Ive heard some mediocre-decent Christian death metal.

Death Cult Armageddon has some good moments, definitely... Progenies of the Great Apocalypse has a kicking trumpet line (they use a real, full, symphony this time... I think its the prague orchestra actually) and there are a number of other tracks that are cool - I dont regret buying it definitely. Though if youve only heard the first Dimmu album then its gonna be a change of pace... I mean, For All Tid was a change of pace, and then you have Enthrone Darkness Triumphant which got a bit more poppy, and Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia has gotten more blastbeat oriented with synth orchestrations... Death Cult is kind of a weird landing spot of the various points in the bands history. Though I find the drumming to be a bit bland... triggers always sound a bit too static - if youre going to mechanise an instrument, go with drum machines and just do truely insane drumming (like in some grindcore groups, or Necrophagist's original release of Onset of Putrefaction before Muhammed found a band).

CoF has positive aspects in that sometimes the keyboard work is kinda neat, and the guitars function... theyve been known to having a good drummer - but the imagery is just... laughably bad. The writing is weak, the rhythm of the vocals needs a lot of overhauling... and every song of theirs REALLY sounds the same, even with the introduction of Leaves Eyes' vocalist on the single Nymphetamine, it still sounded a LOT like their older work... I think they learned one minor scale and just stick to it... Nothing wrong with orienting oneself around a scale, but generally youll at least do some arpeggiations of chords within the scale, or touch into sister scales of it... or... shocker, sneak in a major scale for a real change up. I dunno, CoF really lacks a certain something musically, that goes beyond the bad outfits and poor lyrics, along with the tasteless attempts at "shock".

Ive reached a point in my life, few things shock me... Someone masturbating with a crucifix doesnt shock me, someone speaking of receiving Satan's Phallus doesnt shock me. It merely disappoints me.
r_cain
The Drinking God

Post by r_cain »

yeah they got very samey

dusk and crulety made me laugh, but now its gettign silly
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

geez, that mp3 sure did suck ballz.

oh yeah cradle of filth also sucks ballz.

recently i've been listening to children of bodom's hate crew death toll album, prety good. at least not as faggy as cradle stuff.

actually to me all such black metal bands are laughable, i mean COME ON. imagery, all that faggy stuff, makeup, blah blah blah

i mean even slipknot are better.

black metal band is as laughable if some band would pretend to be real elves/dwarfs/paladins/etc and play stupid same stuff but in the "tolkien" universe.

*shivers*
Last edited by Gila on Sun Sep 11, 2005 09:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Are you speaking about Cradle of Filth?
Isn't it that funny band from England with those ridiculous, high vocals?
A bunch of strange guys, far too childish for their age?
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

Gila - the whole thing about the project involved though is the apparently dubious recording methods involved, along with the bizarre level of anonymity demanded by the group - to the point of not knowing how many members are involved.
r_cain
The Drinking God

Post by r_cain »

but nin rock
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

r_cain wrote
but nin rock
most recent album aside, yes they do.
r_cain
The Drinking God