Dooooooom!

Anything not gaming related goes here. Not sure where something should be posted? Post it in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

non linear gameplay? wtf?

name a good and NOT BORING and successful FPS game that has "non-linear" gameplay.

that gimmick may work for faggy RPGS. but not for fps games.

of course pretty much any new FPS sucks ass (esp. since BLOOD1 hehe lol:)) but Q4 was kinda cool. of course painkiller was tons better! but of the recent ones, Q4 appealed the most for me.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

I suppose for me it depends on if Q4 can beat out the cinematic feel of F.E.A.R. and, more importantly, the scare factor. I'm expecting horror from them both.
mouth
Acolyte

Post by mouth »

Gila wrote:non linear gameplay? wtf?

name a good and NOT BORING and successful FPS game that has "non-linear" gameplay.

that gimmick may work for faggy RPGS. but not for fps games.

of course pretty much any new FPS sucks ass (esp. since BLOOD1 hehe lol:)) but Q4 was kinda cool. of course painkiller was tons better! but of the recent ones, Q4 appealed the most for me.
so why did you answer your own question??
"pretty much any new FPS sucks ass..." - umm yea, that's what i'm saying duh.
quake2 had more freedom and exploration than q4. and it didn't suck
all build engine games had that as well.
all of these new games are worth going through once.
faggy rpgs? How bout System Shock 2? That game is awesome. I couldn't care less for Deus Ex or whatever s*** came later, but SS2 was teh s***.
So yea, these new games do suck, but I still play them. Cos they provide fun factor for like and hour and a half a day.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Hey hey! Deus Ex was a fantastic book. Not much of a game, though! =)
r_cain
The Drinking God

Post by r_cain »

Yep, Dues Ex got boring real quick. A bt too indepth.

But if you can ignore the shoddy dialogue (in parts) and sluggish combat, Masquerade:Bloodlines has me a little hooked.

(begin slagging it in 3, 2, 1 ) ;)
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

Bloodlines has me hooked as well. I'm playing through for the second time as a Malkavian, and some of the dialogue is very amusing. Pity the game has so many bugs; they're being worked on in unofficial patches, but since Troika closed down (and since it uses the Source engine) I'm not expecting it to be cleaned up to what it could've been.

And since I'm posting in this thread, I've almost finished playing through Quake 4. Despite the opinions of some people in this thread, I've really enjoyed it. Yes, it could do with some work in places like pretty much every game, but I frankly don't care if people think it's derivative and linear, because I find it FUN.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Don't have Bloodlines. Deus Ex was an OK FPS, was actually unaware of a book. System Shock 2 was indeed the s***.

You know, it's kinda surprising how the FPS has turned from its roots. Look at any other genre: RPGs remain very similar in almost all respects, with improvements in amounts of stats and weapons and stuff. Sports games have only ever changed in graphics. The RTS has REALLY not changed. And don't get me started on the platformer. But the FPS? It went from fast action with tons of enemies to "OMG we can make good graphics and a crap game." *sigh* Oh well. I still have my 2D fighters. And, of course, I can still play the old FPSes.

End rant that was randomly typed without even thinking to realize if something was typed badly or just not even coinciding with my actual opinions.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Deus Ex was an OK FPS, was actually unaware of a book.
No book, little bro. I was joking. Deus Ex is strange in that it's a great story and a warning with tons of symbolic statements and imagery. Stay far away if you're looking for a 'shooter'. 8)
mouth
Acolyte

Post by mouth »

Oh yea, I forgot Bloodlines. One of the rare titles I actually bought :)
Yeah, Bloodlines is cool, real good one.
I'm willing to bet that Call Of Cthulhu will be my cup of tea. They just gotta get that damn PC version out already...
r_cain
The Drinking God

Post by r_cain »

woooo, love that crazee Lovecraft stuff :D
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Huh? Call of Cthulu is out on Xbox then? Huh. I should persuade one of my friends to get it. And then get the PC version as soon as it's out.

Know what was underrated until you beat it? The first Suffering. It was remarkably short, but throughout the game it was pretty good fun. I should get around to playing Ties That Bind, I can borrow that one from friends, and I do hear it's excellent.

Added: I say "until you beat it" because my friends all enjoyed it for approximately 20 playthroughs on impossible, where I could barely stand a second. So I suppose it goes from underdog to hyped-up or something.