network... cause I'm mad as hell and I won't take it anymor

Anything not gaming related goes here. Not sure where something should be posted? Post it in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

N0t_mINe
Acolyte

network... cause I'm mad as hell and I won't take it anymor

Post by N0t_mINe »

Is there some sort of major network outage going on? A few of my fav sites are giving me 404 messegages. Often the main portals will work, but if you try to log in or use anything else on the server, it's a 404. doomworld just locked up for me. Firedoglake has been 504 for over a week now. US pres lost internet during a presentation about internet security.

Anyone else?
Last edited by N0t_mINe on Wed Sep 16, 2015 01:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Re: network... cause I'm mad as hell and I won't take it an

Post by Tchernobog »

Seems fine to me. Doomworld loaded. :|
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Most pages are loading normally now. 404s still happen at dw but only rarely. firedog has some security issues but they've got minimal posting working again. It was probably a lot of aca traffic, people signing up at the last minute.
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

A few days ago, my internet was running very slow for some strange reason and I could not pin-point why. Webpages also slowed and this one WAD I was downloading took ages despite small file size. Bizarre.
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

Yeah for past couple of days my connection has slowed down too. Playing BF4 was a nightmare at times even more so then usual. I blame Obama.
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

VGames wrote:Yeah for past couple of days my connection has slowed down too. Playing BF4 was a nightmare at times even more so then usual. I blame Obama.
lol I can't even play online games on my computer still. Everything I download now is usually from my laptop/mobile device and then sent to my desktop computer. A tedious system but it is only temporary IE when I stop being poor.
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

I feel u man. I wasn't always blessed with the good stuff. Thinking back makes me shiver. Got to keep looking forward.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Looks like my fb account has been hacked again. I'm really not sure what to do about it, usually takes a socially hobbled individual like me years to recover from trust issues. I've also had 2g of data disappear from my data plan too. Not sure if it's related as I've been leaving Bluetooth on of late. Sigh, the internet; just when it seems like it might be worth the hastle, *poof*.
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

N0t_mINe wrote:Looks like my fb account has been hacked again. I'm really not sure what to do about it, usually takes a socially hobbled individual like me years to recover from trust issues. I've also had 2g of data disappear from my data plan too. Not sure if it's related as I've been leaving Bluetooth on of late. Sigh, the internet; just when it seems like it might be worth the hastle, *poof*.
That is why I try to back-up my files on a flash drive/cd whenever I can. Sorry that had to happen to you N0t_mINe. I'm assuming you contacted them about this problem?
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

dosgamer000 wrote:
N0t_mINe wrote:Looks like my fb account has been hacked again. I'm really not sure what to do about it, usually takes a socially hobbled individual like me years to recover from trust issues. I've also had 2g of data disappear from my data plan too. Not sure if it's related as I've been leaving Bluetooth on of late. Sigh, the internet; just when it seems like it might be worth the hastle, *poof*.
That is why I try to back-up my files on a flash drive/cd whenever I can. Sorry that had to happen to you N0t_mINe. I'm assuming you contacted them about this problem?
At the end of the day, the paranoid guy has the fewest excuses for this sort of thing. One of the job sites I was recently frozen out of had its own tab that never got closed somehow. Sucker kept looaaadinnng and looooaaaadinnnng for days, wondering if that played a role. the fb app on my almost-smart phone had 9 megs in a cache that's usually less than 500k. Lessons? Apps not in use get shut down with a task manager app from now on if not in use. Clean caches daily. FB's only going to tell me to change my password.
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

N0t_mINe wrote:
dosgamer000 wrote:
At the end of the day, the paranoid guy has the fewest excuses for this sort of thing. One of the job sites I was recently frozen out of had its own tab that never got closed somehow. Sucker kept looaaadinnng and looooaaaadinnnng for days, wondering if that played a role. the fb app on my almost-smart phone had 9 megs in a cache that's usually less than 500k. Lessons? Apps not in use get shut down with a task manager app from now on if not in use. Clean caches daily. FB's only going to tell me to change my password.
I clear out my cache, cookies, and browsing history everyday just to "feel" safe. Sucks about Facebook pretty much not doing anything for you, there needs to be more things in place to deal with hacking or data theft. I remember when I used an iPod and lost some purchased songs due to an error while updating and Apple wouldn't allow me to download the songs again after they got wiped (as in not paying for them since I already did it.)
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

I just do not use Facebook, but then I am actually pretty lax about data theft.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

The person on fb who's claiming that their account was hijacked is saying everyone tagged by that account needs to untag themselves. I'm guessing access to such settings require a real computer, and cannot be accessed via an account using a phone app.
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

Tchernobog wrote:I just do not use Facebook, but then I am actually pretty lax about data theft.
I barely use social media as is. Never cared to bother with Facebook myself. A lot of people find it surprising when I don't have one.
N0t_mINe wrote:The person on fb who's claiming that their account was hijacked is saying everyone tagged by that account needs to untag themselves. I'm guessing access to such settings require a real computer, and cannot be accessed via an account using a phone app.
Damn what a mess. I remember all those days having to download files on my mobile device because my computer could not get internet. Quite tedious when your PC is off-line.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

dosgamer000 wrote:
Damn what a mess. I remember all those days having to download files on my mobile device because my computer could not get internet. Quite tedious when your PC is off-line.
Okay, so I just got a usage report 1 day after reloading my phone- 72 megs of data usage. No tubies, no music, no downloads, just a handfull of forums and news sites since yesterday. All that from a phone that required permission from the user to load a page requiring more than 1 mb, and a second warning if it went over 2 (haven't seen such a message for a few months though). It's a scam kids, metered internet is a scam. No hacking or malware required folks. Time to find another way online, period.