So I am taking a Linux course

Anything not gaming related goes here. Not sure where something should be posted? Post it in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

So I am taking a Linux course

Post by Tchernobog »

This course explores the various tools and techniques commonly used by Linux programmers, system administrators and end users to achieve their day-to-day work in a Linux environment. It is designed for experienced computer users who have limited or no previous exposure to Linux, whether they are working in an individual or Enterprise environment.

Upon completion of this training you should have a good working knowledge of Linux, from both a graphical and command line perspective, allowing you to easily navigate through any of the major Linux distributions. You will be able to continue your progress as either a user, system administrator or developer using the acquired skill set.
https://www.edx.org/course/linuxfoundat ... 9u6UNQ-nGg

So how do you think it compares to the one you took back in October ILA?

I do not actually expect to learn anything new by taking it, just verify what I already do know.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Re: So I am taking a Linux course

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

In my experience, even beginner courses will teach you something you didn't already know. If you have the time and resources to take it, I say go for it.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

I am taking it. Considering that it has no strict deadlines and is available at anytime, time pressures are really not a problem.

In the course of a day it had me go from changing my wallpaper to issuing terminal commands. There were even a few console commands that were new to me, but the most relevant thing it pointed out is that Control-H will show hidden files in most File Managers, something which is clearly labelled in them but is something I always happened to just glance over before. :oops:

I am also trying for a Verified Certificate so I can put it on my resume. The final exam is open book and allows two tries for each question, so in almost every respect it is quite forgiving.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Definitely worthwhile then. My last Linux course did nothing but have us type in command line code in out-dated text editors. I was pretty disappointed but I did learn a couple things.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

I seem to have forgotten this thread. The following link should speak for itself:
https://verify.edx.org/cert/cdd8f9a12bb ... a7e0a737da

I got a perfect score without using any of my second question attempts on the final exam.