Damn networking all the way to the blackest circle of Hell!!

Anything not gaming related goes here. Not sure where something should be posted? Post it in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Desdinova
Axe Zombie

Damn networking all the way to the blackest circle of Hell!!

Post by Desdinova »

I just got a 800 Mhz PC running NT to connect to my XP machine for some gaming fun (hopefully Blood) only to find out that XP's network setup wizard is incompatible with NT!!!! How the hell can I connect them when they don't recognise each other?

NOT a happy bunny..... :evil: :evil:
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

all you should have to do is load the IPX protocol on each machine....XP or NT will not load it by default
Desdinova
Axe Zombie

Post by Desdinova »

I've got it installed on both, and I cant even see the other computer's in network neighbourhood. Tis a black day for a blood fanatic...
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

Blood works on NT4?

I've never tried it, I've always assumed it to be a complete lost cause.
NT4 was the worst gaming OS as far as Microsoft (of course, it was one of the more stable business OSs, which was the idea of it). It has less dos support than 2000 and XP.

As for networking them, IPX probably will not find allow them to find each other in network neightborhood. You'd probably have better luck setting up TCP/IP on an internal range so that IPX services can tunnel through it (should do tunneling automatically).

Most internal ranges are 192.168.x.x, 172.20.x.x, 10.254.x.x (although this is what it will be given if nothing is found, so can be the hardest to get working).
Desdinova
Axe Zombie

Post by Desdinova »

I managed to get them together on a static IP 192.168.0.1 & 192.168.0.2
and I just tried network Quake on IPX and it works fine. However, I cannot share the Internet because it says that IP's need to be dynamic for this to work. Problem being that when I turn them to dynamic they can't find each other.....curses! Still, tonight I will find out for certain whether or not Bloodbath can be achieved! :twisted:
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

Still I am astonisted that either Blood or Quake run on NT4
the internet sharing is dependant upon a connection sharing services, which NT4 does not include, though on 2000, it should run with a static ip, however, it may require two network cards.

However, you may want to grab the latest version of commit for best IPX results, you can grab it from my files section on http://files.deathmask.net/commit
Desdinova
Axe Zombie

Post by Desdinova »

I got Quake running and played fine.

But, I'm afraid you were right about Blood - it is a lost cause. In fact, most of the games I've tried don't run on NT. *sigh*

At least Transfusion works though! :lol:
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

There is a very narrow gaming window on NT4.

It does not have a true dos environment, and it does not have a directx envirmonment beyond DX3a I believe. Which pretty much only leaves it open to OpenGL games with complete libraries. Transfusion should happen to fit in there, but I'm not sure how well sound would work.
Desdinova
Axe Zombie

Post by Desdinova »

I have now upgraded the NT4 pc to XP, and for some reason on Quake I can only get it to work if the old NT4 pc is the server - nothing can be detected if the new pc is the server. File sharing in windows works fine both ways, so I am at a loss, and pi**ed off as i can't set blood up with one pc being the server :x

If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.
Number II
Fanatic

Post by Number II »

Get a CrapCom and use it for server.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

The solution here is simple, my friend.

Find a picture of Bill Gates on the internet. Print it.

When nature calls, proceed to the bathroom and use the picture you've printed as toilet paper.

Once done, write a threatening e-mail to Bill Gates, telling him to make the next Windows operating system compatible with DOS. Also reassure him that it's nothing to be ashamed of, if one can access DOS via windows.

Have a nice day and keep it flowing!
Desdinova
Axe Zombie

Post by Desdinova »

Can't afford a crap com.

If I print a picture of Bill Gates a sensor in his house will go off and I will be instantly removed to a concentration camp.