Article: Copyright and wrong

Anything not gaming related goes here. Not sure where something should be posted? Post it in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

DustyStyx
2D Artist

Article: Copyright and wrong

Post by DustyStyx »

by way of /.: The Economist is running a commentary on copyright reform. It'd be nice if this sort of thing picked up steam.
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

An interesting article, all the more so when you consider the source. This is a frequent topic in the lefty publications I favor. Too bad the forces arrayed against such a common sense proposal are so powerfully entrenched. The rise of an ownership society will take us into the next dark age I'm afraid.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Again via /.: Johanna Blakely has a fairly interesting TED talk about how the fashion industry flourishes despite the lack of copyright protection.

She brings up a number of points about how industries that have no copyright protection are much more lucrative than highly restricted industries such as film, books and music.

How does this relate to Transfusion? It's interesting to note that she states that costumes can't be copyrighted. I wonder if this extends to costumes for animated characters. I've been worrying about recreating the Blood characters and to what extent they are derivative vs original works.